Can you make gravy from Oxo cubes?

blackbriar, Apr 17, 3:01am
I am cooking a roast in the slow cooker and want to make some gravy to go with it.Can you make a gravy using Oxo cubes and water and thickening with cornflour!

biggles45, Apr 17, 3:09am
Yes. But much nicer (tastier) gravy if you use some of the juices out of the roasting pan with water and cornflour, no need for the oxo then.

miri_s, Apr 17, 3:09am
I've never used a slow cooker to roast - is there not a normal accumulation of juices from the meat itself, using this method!

I can't see why an oxo cube wouldn't work - but it probably won't taste too great.

blackbriar, Apr 17, 3:12am
You don't get the nice "browning" in the bottom of a slow cooker to make gravy with and I was wondering what else I could use other than a gravy mix which I have to drive 15 minutes to get.

blackbriar, Apr 17, 3:16am
Problem solved - I rang DH and he is going to buy a mix on the way home! Thanks for your ideas.

skyebunny, Apr 17, 3:16am
you just make it like a white sauce except use pan juices (and some water) instead of milk and break up the oxo in the flour. always turns out yummy for me.

fifie, Apr 17, 3:16am
When you lift meat out of C/p tip some of the juices into a saucepan, bring to boil thicken with cornflour and crumbled oxo cube, ground pepper, mixed in a little water till right thickness you like, add a good tablesp of your fav chutney OR relish, simmer couple mins. Nice flavoured gravy, thats what i'm having with my C/P roast beef tonight.

blackbriar, Apr 17, 3:19am
Thanks fifie I will try that and save the gravy mix for another time.

fifie, Apr 17, 3:58am
Hope you like, another good one is make your gravy from oven pan meat cooked in with juices from vegs, oxo cube if you want, saute sliced onion in a pan with little butter and add to gravy before serving,good with chops, steak etc in winter.