Butter chicken

Page 3 / 3
kiwiscrapper1, May 6, 10:09am
Yes, followed the instructions and for once even weighed and measured it all out,usually I just throw everything in and measure by my eyes but thought this time I would follow it properly, hubby said it needed a little bit of chillie or something to give it some flavour, maybe the spice that some say is missing!

mwood, May 7, 12:16am
As the advert says "This mix is very very mild. " - how could you miss this !One should always taste one's dishes prior to service and adjust seasoning to one's taste - (add some chilli) LOL

fisher, May 7, 11:36am
what mwood said. a chance for you to add your own touch to make it how you like it.I'll try the autehntic,, as per packet mix. then maybe next week add my home made pimento powder to the mix.

sandra22, May 10, 6:33am
Wow you make your own Pimento powder, that's really impressive!It must smell so wonderful.I'm so sorry you missed getting the buy 5 and get 1 free offer, I just put it up on Trademe as I thought it would be good.You'll have to get it next time!

I've been thinking about making a variation to the Butter Chicken recipe and adding Chilli to the spice mix, but really it can be added so easily anyway.My partner doesn't like chilli, but I sprinkle a bit of Cayanne Pepper on my Butter Chicken and it's so good!Loving all the feedback, thanks so much everyone.

mwood, May 10, 8:59pm
If you think something is missing then just add it to the dish LOL - eg chilli if that's what's "missing" - I would skip the milk and be careful about adding all the cream in the recipe as the cream being sold at the moment is very thin. Cream cheese (Philadelphia cheese) or coconut cream could be a better choice or if it's too thin then thicken with a spoonfull or so of ground almonds. Note the advert says this is a "very, very mild" version of Butter Chicken mix.

elliehen, May 12, 1:55am
That spice mix from sandra22 is seriously good.I made a fish curry with one sachet using monkfish and it got rave reviews.

mwood, May 12, 2:13am
yes - and sandra22's mix is also delicate enough for a crayfish one too ! Tip: Monkfish is also good for bulking up a crayfish dish just make a stock with the crayfish shell etcand poach the monkfish in that then add to the cooked crayfish - it all then tastes of crayfish LOL

kiwiscrapper1, May 12, 4:40am
I like mild mild thats why I bought it, spicey gives me heartburn and if we ever go to a Indian restaurant I ask for mild but this was tasteless and bland!

elliehen, May 12, 4:53am
kiwiscrapper1, different palates, I guess.But kudos to you for giving good feedback for the trade itself and not a negative for your opinion.

I have had a couple of unreasonable buyers of books give a blue with, 'not what I expected' when the listings detailed absolutely everything that a reasonable person would expect.

elhers, May 12, 8:02am
Last week i brought online some butterchicken spices from Sandra, kids loved it even had it sitting on the bench and they loved the smell. I took a sachet to Aussy with me and they loved it there aswell. Beautiful

fisher, May 12, 2:44pm
I used 7 tenderloins ( butter chicken IMHO has always been best made with thigh meat) and made the recipe as required. was very nice and wifey likes it as well. saved me blitzing my own spices.
Sandra. the Pimento seed came from USAto grow it takes 9 months from seed to harvest and is best picked "just" over ripe. The best pods have the seeds removed and these are inspected per magnifying glass for the best ones and the others discarded.the good seeds kept for growing the next crop. the pimento is then dried in a dehydrator, and then wizzed up into a powder in a magic bullet. It has a very mild but has unusual flavour and I primarily use it for Pimento cheese. (wife is american) LOL. I also use it for other dishes where cheese or tomatoes is used. think it would enhance the tomato paste flavouring in your butter chicken.

sandra22, May 15, 3:09am
Sandra. the Pimento seed came from USAto grow it takes 9 months from seed to harvest and is best picked "just" over ripe. The best pods have the seeds removed and these are inspected per magnifying glass for the best ones and the others discarded.the good seeds kept for growing the next crop. the pimento is then dried in a dehydrator, and then wizzed up into a powder in a magic bullet. It has a very mild but has unusual flavour and I primarily use it for Pimento cheese. (wife is american) LOL. I also use it for other dishes where cheese or tomatoes is used. think it would enhance the tomato paste flavouring in your butter chicken.[/quote]

I admire your dedication to growing these from scratch, I'm sure they would taste nothing like store bought and would be divine.Well done you.

mwood, May 15, 3:21am
I going to make this tonight crayfish/monkfish using sandra22's Butter Chicken mix. I shall post the recipe and result in a new thread as "Crayfish Korma"

bev00, May 19, 11:13am
Butter Chicken

25 grams butter
1 onion finely diced
3 cloves crushed garlic
½ tsp each of ground ginger, cinnamon, salt and turmeric
¼ tsp garam masala
Pinch to ½ tsp chilli (1/2 is hot)
400 grams cubed chicken meat
100 grams tomato paste (I use Homebrand)
¾ cup cream

Mix the spices together and add chicken and set aside.
Melt butter and sauté onion and garlic for 2 minutes. Add chicken and sauté for about 5 minutes. Add tomato and cream and simmer gently for 5 minutes.
Serve.

Very similar to this one except I also add cumin/coriander/white pepper and paprika Yum! (ohh and I dont use the masala mix)

Edited by malcovy at 6:17 pm, Wed 14 Apr

bev00, May 19, 12:48pm
Courtesy of Uli:
Here is my "secret" recipe - (And this comes from an old Indian friend - so from the "horses mouth"):

You need:
150ml yoghurt
50g ground almonds
1 1/2 tsp chili powder
1/4 tsp crushed bay leaves
1/4 tsp ground cloves
1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
1 tsp garam masala
4 green cardamom pods
1 tsp ginger pulp
1 tsp garlic pulp
400g tomatoes (tinned)
1 1/4 tsp salt
1kg chicken, skinned, boned and cubed
75g butter
1 tbsp oil
2 medium onions, sliced
2 tbsp fresh coriander, chopped
4 tbsp cream

Place the yogurt, ground almonds, all the dry spices, ginger, garlic, tomatoes and salt in a mixing bowl and blend together thoroughly.
Then put the chicken into a large mixing bowl and pour over the yogurt mixture. Set aside.

Melt together the butter and oil in a wok or frying pan. Add the onions and fry for about 3 minutes. Add the chicken mixture and stir-fry for about 7 to 10 minutes. Stir in about half of the coriander and mix well.

Pour over the cream and stir in well. Bring to the boil. Garnish the butter chicken with the remaining chopped coriander and serve the chicken curry.

That is what I do since years - and it always comes out fantastic