Butter chicken

Page 2 / 3
kiwiscrapper1, Apr 26, 9:10am
.Are they the same price in the supermarket as on their website

beaker59, Apr 26, 12:53pm
Not sure they seemed OK for price to me but I guess it would be much cheaper to have containers of the actual spices and make it yourself but this is a good start to the real thing. The other one talked about above may also be good I haven't tried it so can't comment but it looked quite expensive first glance.

sandra22, Apr 27, 2:21am
Fenugreek can be quite a strong spice and Butter Chicken is very mild and not a spicy dish, this is why we don't need to add it into the spice mix.It tastes perfect as it is!Hope that helps.Has anyone tried the spice mix with fish instead of chicken!This is delicious too.

fisher, Apr 27, 2:27am
Sandra. will try my lot once i go shopping next week.have some lovely loins I will use and maybe mix in some thigh meat as well.
Looking forwards to it. and like the Idea of "nothing added", only the spices . so suits my style .:}

sarahb5, Apr 27, 3:24am
It certainly does!It is spiced but not hotly spiced and I haven't tried it with fish because my kids don't like fish and I don't like fish curry.

sandra22, Apr 27, 6:16am
Can't wait to hear how you like it.

stillwill, Apr 27, 6:18am
Google it.

karenz, Apr 27, 6:26am
Try getting one of these spice mixes, I buy mine in Countdown, there are 8 little individual packets of spices, some of which you can roast for a more intense flavour, plus a list of fresh ingredients you will need, saves you from having to buy larger quantities of spices you may not get to use up before they expire.
http://www.spiceneasy.co.nz/

sarahb5, May 2, 3:51am
I'm making it for dinner tomorrow - my last packet at the moment so will try it with some powdered fenugreek added and serve with spinach for me instead of rice - hadn't thought of that as a substitute but makes sense!

mackenzie2, May 2, 6:43am
Ohhh YUMMY. brought the spice mix from http://butterchicken.co.nz/and it would have to be the best I have ever had, so easy and so so so tasty. Thank you for posting this on here

seniorbones, May 2, 8:00am
I have received mine today.very quick posting.but will have to wait until the weekend as hubby took a pile of venison out of the freezer so will have to use that up first. Do you think I could double the recipe (2sachets) and make it in the crockpot! But I suppose if it's quick to make I may as well wait until I get home from work.Also the cinnamon smells quite strong and I havent even opened the packaging hope its not too over powering!,

turtlet, May 2, 8:58am
I've bought some too.Better be good.I will report back after it arrives.

sarahb5, May 2, 10:23am
I made double quantity for my daughter's 21st birthday party but I didn't use the slow cooker - just cooked it in a big pot and then froze it for a couple of weeks.Flavour was even better after defrosting and reheating!

fisher, May 2, 11:13am
geeeeeeeshsandra. just bought 3 packs the other day and now you do the buy 5 one free. I would have got that pack if I had known.
Going shopping tomorrow so will get ingredients to make it up. just shy on cream and paste.
Tell me something. do you think half of it, made up and with the cream in it would freeze up ok's

fisher, May 2, 11:13am
geeeeeeeshsandra. just bought 3 packs the other day and now you do the buy 5 one free. I would have got that pack if I had known.:]]
Going shopping tomorrow so will get ingredients to make it up. just shy on cream and paste.
Tell me something.If it was fully made up then halved. and with the cream in it,would freeze up ok's

sarahb5, May 2, 8:28pm
I made it up fully, including cream, and froze it for my daughter's party - it didn't look too good after defrosting and before reheating but once reheated it was absolutely fine and had more depth of flavour as well I think.

gram, May 2, 8:56pm
I like sandra's spice mix.it's quite mild but good flavour. I used coconut cream and I'll try the fenugreek next time too.

mwood, May 2, 10:45pm
Please note I am recommending a sprinkle to finish of dried fenugreek leaves for their fragrance : "Of all the spices added to the dish it is dried fenugreek leaves (Urdu/Hindi: Qasuri Methi) that makes the greatest contribution to the characteristic flavour of the dish." Also clarifiedbutter (ghee) gives better flavours and I will make further comments on this in my (future) Chicken Korma thread which also uses this Butter Chicken mix.

mwood, May 2, 10:49pm
The spinach is intended as a "side" dish in addition to serving it with rice LOL

mwood, May 2, 10:58pm
I also made it up in the Crockpot overnight by adding all the ingredients (skip the 150ml of milk) and just 1 packet of mix - it was fully flavoured but a hint if bitter from not caramelizing the onions first - just add a spoonful of sugar to fix this if you taste it in the finished dish. You could also try venison instead of chicken adding any further herbs or spices you may think it needs after tasting at the end of the cooking cycle !

sarahb5, May 2, 11:23pm
Ha ha - butter chicken when you're on Weight Watchers is bad enough - rice with it is a definite no-no at the moment - would rather have spinach and poppadums

frier, May 3, 9:49am
Purchased Sandras butter chicken mix recently, very delicious and authentic my whole family just loved it, will be back for more for sure, highly reccomended to all

kiwiscrapper1, May 6, 6:33am
well I bought this to try but found it bland and tasteless! Waste of 600gms of chicken, I only ate a small bowl hubby ate his and said it was ok but he can have the rest for lunch tomorrow. Needs a bit of oomph or spice to make it tasty,

kiwiscrapper1, May 6, 6:36am
maybe that is what's missing, I will get some and try another sachet but not sure if I want to waste expensive chicken again.

darlingmole, May 6, 7:05am
did you add the tomato past kiwiscrapper1!It makes a big difference (in my opinion)