Butter chicken

Page 1 / 3
bagglz, Apr 16, 4:42am
would like to make from scratch instead of out of a jar,any sugestions would be great,thanks

scarlettnz, Apr 16, 5:23am
If you type butter chicken into the search field on the left (and change the date posted to last year) I'm sure you'll find heaps of suggestions as there have been a couple of previous threads.

mwood, Apr 16, 5:50am
this may help :
"Though various versions exists for the recipe, typically dressed chicken (with or without bones) is marinated overnight in a yogurt and spice mixture usually including garam masala, ginger, garlic paste, lemon or lime, pepper, coriander, cumin, turmeric and chili. The chicken is traditionally cooked in a tandoor, but can also be grilled, roasted or pan fried. The sauce, is made by heating and mixing butter, tomato puree, and various spices, often including cumin, cloves, cinnamon, coriander, pepper, fenugreek and fresh cream. Cashew paste can also be added, and will make the gravy thicker. Of all the spices added to the dish it is dried fenugreek leaves (Urdu/Hindi: Qasuri Methi) that makes the greatest contribution to the characteristic flavour of the dish. Once the sauce is prepared, the prepared chicken is chopped and cooked until the gravy and chicken have blended. The dish may be garnished with white butter, fresh cream[1], sliced green chillies and Qasuri Methi."

mwood, Apr 17, 4:28am
OK but I don't see any Fenugreek in their list of ingredients

iriegirl, Apr 17, 5:07am
Agree with mwood, gotta have fenugreek, mmmm

sarahb5, Apr 17, 7:45am
Tastes great anyway - you can always add your own fenugreek if you must I suppose.This mix tastes better than any I've found in a restaurant or jar.

mwood, Apr 17, 10:30pm
Yes it's a must - the fenugreek is the raison d'être of Butter Chicken

sarahb5, Apr 17, 10:31pm
I shall add some next time and see if the mix can be improved .

mwood, Apr 17, 10:51pm
OK - that sounds good - and if you think it improves the mix then I'll buy the mix and try it - thanks.

mwood, Apr 17, 11:01pm
Actually that sounds a bit wimpish - OK - bought some ! :
"My Trade Me > Items I've won > The Best Butter Chicken Spice Mix Ever! 3 packets > Delivery address
Delivery address sent to the seller"

sarahb5, Apr 17, 11:02pm
You won't regret it - well I hope you don't!

mountian, Apr 18, 2:34am
I can vouch that the butter chicken sachets on here are really delicious

sandra22, Apr 18, 2:37am
Hi sarahb5, thanks so much for your very, very kind comments, I'm so glad you like my Butter Chicken spice mix.Thanks again, Sandra.

sarahb5, Apr 18, 2:38am
You're very welcome - served it at my daughter's 21st and everyone loved it!

mwood, Apr 20, 8:00am
OK gotta da Chicken spice mix, gotta da chicken, gotta da fenugreek leaves. My adaptation will be to marinate the fresh chicken cubes in say 1/2 the mix and yoghurt (greek coconut) overnight and to use ghee (clarified butter) when cooking it tomorrow.

bev00, Apr 25, 1:30pm
Butter Chicken
1/2 Cup butter, 1 onion minced, 1 TBS minced garlic, 1 Can tomato paste, 1 Can lite unsweetened condensed milk or coconut cream (we used coconut cream) or 2 Cup cream. 1/2 - 1 tsp cayenne pepper (1/2 was spicy enough for us) 1 tsp garam masala, 680g chicken breast, 2 TBS veg oil, 2 TBS tandori masala (optional) or curry powder (we used curry powder)

Serve on rice

turtlet, Apr 25, 7:29pm
How wasidiot mwood! Any good!

turtlet, Apr 25, 7:29pm
How was it mwood! Any good!

sarahb5, Apr 25, 9:39pm
If you only use half the mix though you'll only get half the flavour - I just follow the instructions on the packet and it is awesome every time.I have also used it as a marinade for tandoori-style butter chicken using the whole mix and yoghurt.

You will see that the seller has also posted in this thread - perhaps she can explain why there's no fenugreek in this mix!I think it's delicious as it is.

mwood, Apr 26, 12:05am
OK - but of course I use the other half in the cooking LOL The original recipe is just fine - it's a master sauce - I'll post my variations later.

sarahb5, Apr 26, 12:26am
Oh right - now I get it.

karenz, Apr 26, 12:29am
There is a set of all the spices you will need to make butter chicken which I buy from Countdown (may be in other stores as well) there are 8 little sachets of the spices plus a list of the fresh ingredients and recipe.It really does taste delicious, especially as you can roast and grind some of the spices yourself.The name begins with 'spice'think. They also have other varieties. Saves having to search out and buy spices you may not get around to using before ttheir expiry date, plus more cost effective.

beaker59, Apr 26, 12:39am
If its this one I like them too :)

http://www.spiceneasy.co.nz/

They have a shop up in birkenhead which has the kits as well and they do cooking classes. The kits are really good and actually teach you how its done as the spices are separate with good instructions.

karenz, Apr 26, 3:17am
Yes they are the ones, I think the lamb Korma one is especially nice, better than I have had in any restaurant, roasting the spices makes a big difference too.

gram, Apr 26, 6:16am
So I guess we aren't going to get mwood's opinion and butter chicken modifications.