How to dry fresh rosemary leaves

dibble35, Apr 18, 7:07am
I got given a whole heap of rosemar,and want to dry it,i'm assuming pull leaves off and put on tray and into a low temp oven.is this right! TIA

elliehen, Apr 18, 7:15am
I hang my herbs, stalks banded together, in a brown paper bag upside down in the hotwater cupboard.

dibble35, Apr 18, 7:19am
bugger, i've already pulled leaves off the stalks.

elliehen, Apr 18, 7:22am
There's more than one way to skin a cat!The oven will be quicker ;)

olwen, Apr 18, 7:34am
I've sometimes dried herbs in the microwave.I put them between 2 paper towels and microwave a little at a time until they are drie enough.Mostly I've done it with lovage which is a little lie celery tops, so a moister thing than rosemary, but worth trying with some.Just don't set fire to it!

dibble35, Apr 18, 7:41am
you've scared me out of trying it that way thanks olwen :-)
Nah in the oven for my rosemary then

sarahb5, Apr 18, 8:43am
I just do a small amount at a time because I find it loses it's flavour/smell really quickly - I simply strip the leaves off, leave them in a bowl and allow them to dry out.Then I rub them slightly in the sieve to get rid of any excess dust, etc. and put them in a glass jar.

purplegoanna, Apr 18, 8:56am
this way is best, long & slow to keep flavour.

samanya, Apr 18, 9:56am
Try sticking a few cuttings in the garden.they are easy to strike & you may possibly, never have to dry it again.
Just sayin!

dibble35, Apr 18, 6:35pm
I bought a rosemary plant about a month ago. just a baby one. So need to let it grow for awhile before i can use it. Lady i gardened for yesterday gave me heaps when i commented how nice her one was looking. now i'll be able to make lots of foccacia bread with rosemary topping yummy