Bad News For Vanilla Bean Lovers

Page 2 / 4
campmum, Apr 6, 6:57am
Good time to support local vanilla growers
http://www.heilalavanilla.co.nz/

cookessentials, Apr 6, 6:58am
No syntax errors there, just an incorrect statement that vanilla "essence" is grown. Yep, it's "grown" in a lab. I dont cast stones, I shall leave that up to you, although, they are usually bricks as opposed to stones.

willyow, Apr 6, 7:09am
Cookessentials is quite right!

willyow, Apr 6, 7:12am
They grow the stuff they sell in Tonga - they have some growing in a glass house in Tauranga - but I think that's just to show visiting tour groups how it is grown.
The economics of growingvanilla in a non-tropical - high labour cost country don't make muchsense.

norse_westie, Apr 6, 7:26am
I said something like this for Uli's benefit.

sarahlou84, Apr 6, 7:37am
When the local beans are in full production they will be selling NZ grown Vanilla, we know the owners and they deserve every cent they make off it, incredibly hard workers.

willyow, Apr 6, 7:40am
Yes - it isa lot of hard work curing them - no argument there - but they also produce 2 tonnes in Va'vau - which is most of their crop

sarahlou84, Apr 6, 7:44am
They sure do, and go over every year for the harvest to help out as well.They have done heaps for the local community over there.Their range of products I find always is high quality (mind I am a bit biased haha).If you have not done so try their Vanilla Syrup, it's divine!

kay141, Apr 6, 7:55am
I don't use it but I do read news articles about crops from around the world. Also news releases from several different world wide organisations involved in agriculture and horticulture. And so far there have been no reports of a wipe out from Mexico, just a greatly reduced crop.

cookessentials, Apr 6, 8:03am
No, not essence.extract.

deus701, Apr 6, 12:26pm
This is clearly a self promotion thread

willyow, Apr 6, 4:13pm
So dob me in and have it removed, - next time you are being cleaned out at the checkout - think of me

deus701, Apr 6, 4:34pm
Na, im not one to dob people in. Just checked my supply stocksheet. 250 pods for $155. A 3kg bag for $2014.

And Ecuagold 100g bag of 14 pods is $35.72. Why buy from supermarkets or suspect traders when reputable companies give such good discounts!

buzzy110, Apr 7, 12:35am
Not the only self promoter in this thread. Check out post # 6.

buzzy110, Apr 7, 12:42am
We live and learn. The difference, up to now, hadn't been very high on my list of priorities, but now I know, thanks to sharing with me. However, differences and your correctness is irrelevant to the fact that people just mindlessly purchase what they find on supermarket shelves, whether it be called essence or extract.

I was very interested to learn the difference between vanillin and vanilla though as I'd never much been interested enough to look it up.

makespacenow, Apr 7, 12:52am
i get the equagold for $16.you must shop in expensive place ;)

makespacenow, Apr 7, 12:54am
maybe you jyst dont do enough cooking/baking/make own soaps cosmetics or perfumes.my 6y old knows the diffetence.
also checks labels in supermarket do no people dont just mindlessly buy stuff from the supermarkets.

buzzy110, Apr 7, 3:35am
That's nice that your wee 6 year old knows stuff about vanilla. Like I said. I couldn't give a toss. My current jar of essence/extract says it was made from 100% Madagascan vanilla extracts and bourbon so that was good enough for me at the time. I can't be bothered with imitation stuff and knowing where vanillin comes from was very interesting to me as, like I said, I just didn't care enough to check it out. There are much more important things to concern myself with.

The 'extract' I made was supposed to be perfume. I followed the recipe exactly, but blowed if I'm going to wear it. It will be much better in cooking.

I agree. I rarely bake now as I am at a point in my life where I think the driest red wine I can find tastes too sweet for my palate and the sweetest thing I eat now is raw carrots.

You are right. There is a growing group of people who check labels, however, they are, by no means, in the majority. There are many posters in here proud to proclaim their use of processed and packet foods and Chorleywood bread, not just for themselves but to feed to their family as well. At a guess, I'd say they do not fall into the label reading fraternity either.

norse_westie, Apr 7, 3:45am
I'm willing to bet the majority of people in this section of TM do read labels. But then I tend to think the best not the worst of people.

buzzy110, Apr 7, 3:50am
Oh dear. Just because I think they don't read labels, doesn't mean I think the worst of them. It just means I think they don't read labels.

And good for you thinking the best about people even though you exclude, from your general "tendency to think the best about people",those you think you can get away with bullying - outsiders in other words. Do you find cognitive dissonance easy!

oh_hunnihunni, Apr 7, 3:58am
Make your own. Small bottle of vodka, add split vanilla beans, recap, hide in dark cupboard for two months. Done.

jimmy2102, Apr 7, 4:03am
Id have to agree with you here, people are taking so much more interest in where their food comes from, and what they are eating.

willyow, Apr 7, 4:04am
What suspect traders are you referring to ! Equagold looks a bit overpriced

willyow, Apr 7, 4:09am
After the Masterchef show last weekwhich was shot atLa Cigale in Parnell, the La Cigale French Market wasoverun today - busy as!

norse_westie, Apr 7, 5:05am
Damn I wish I'd known about that. I would have liked to go.