Let's talk about vanilla bean..

Page 1 / 2
lyonkin, May 10, 9:13am
what's the best grade one can buy in Nz? Tahitian? And how does the tongan bean compare? I've seen sellers who claimed tongan bean is better than the tahitian and I wonder if there is any truth in that. .

uli, May 10, 9:15am
The processing has more to do with quality than the region of growing in my experience.

lyonkin, May 10, 9:26am
Can you elaborate abit more? Most methods consist of the basic steps killing, sweating, slow-drying, and conditioning of the beans. What steps are different to improve the quality? Is it the length of the drying process?

cookessentials, May 10, 7:01pm
I prefer the Madagascan bourbon for flavour I go for the Neilsen Massey vanilla personally. The vanilla beans are softer than the Tahitian which I understand are killed ( to stop growth) in the sun. The Madagascan are killed in boiled water. The Heilala vanilla in NZ is actually grown indoors.

willyow, May 29, 5:48am
I import vanilla pods andalso manufacture vanilla extract, and find most people can't tell the difference between thetahitian variety and the planfolia ( bourbon) variety pods. I believe planifolia makes a much better vanilla extract with plenty of bite ( that's what we use) - while the Tahitian (tahitensis) variety pods are more floral and best suited for matchingfruit flavours - fabulous in fruit pies especially. It's difficult to tell the difference between the two varieties whenusing in ice cream or baking.

willyow, May 29, 5:53am
Oh - and the claims that Tongan are better than Tahitian issilly - some people are selling22-23cm pods - about 220 to the kilo - claiming people are getting "twice" as much for their money- we sell shorter ones which are much fatterandheavier - 17. 5 to 19cm -at about160-170 to the kilo - obviouslymuch, much fatter and heavier which probably means there's a lot more seeds in them - and the seeds is where the flavour is! .

willyow, May 29, 5:54am
All vanilla pods are killedby putting them in hot water after harvesting, before the long slow curing process starts.

cookessentials, May 29, 7:38am
not the Tahitian, I understand.

deus701, May 29, 8:05am
where is your planifolia grown in? do you sell 5 planifolia and 5 tahiti as one bundle? Just thought its nice to have a mix for diff uses. . sometimes i jus want the instant burst of flavour like tahiti n not the lingering smell of planifolia.

google0, May 30, 6:57am
When would you use vanilla pods? For making icecream?

willyow, May 30, 7:19am
All vanilla pods, including Tahitian, are dipped in boiling water to kill them after harvest and before they arecured - I've seen my suppliers doing it.

willyow, May 30, 7:21am
We sell the Tahitian variety on Trademe- we think it's better for baking andmatches with fruit beautifully -the planifolia we importare used exclusivelyfor manufacturing our extract - webelieve it makes by far the best extract.

matt-wgtn, May 30, 7:32am
We bought the most amazing vanilla pods in Tahiti and brought them home with us (customs perfectly happy). Everything we put them has an amazing uplifting flavour. We also make our own vanilla essence - pods + rum. yummo.

cookessentials, May 30, 7:33am
sorry, but not what I use.

cookessentials, May 30, 7:40am
Today's vanilla we all know and love
Today, vanilla beans are grown in four main areas of the world. Each region produces vanilla beans with distinctive characteristics and attributes. Madagascar, an island off the east coast of Africa, is the largest producer of vanilla beans in the world and the ensuing vanilla is known as Madagascar Bourbon vanilla. The term Bourbon applies to beans grown on the Bourbon Islands - Madagascar, Comoro, Seychelle and Reunion. There is no connection with the liquor produced in Kentucky in the United States. Madagascar Bourbon vanilla is considered to be the highest quality pure vanilla available, described as having a creamy, sweet, smooth, mellow flavor.

Indonesia is the second largest producer of vanilla, with a vanilla that is woody, astringent and phenolic. Madagascar and Indonesia produce 90 percent of the world's vanilla bean crop. Mexico, where the vanilla orchid originated, now produces only a small percentage of the harvest. Mexican vanilla is described as creamy, sweet, smooth and spicy. The last of the four major vanilla-producing regions is Tahiti. Tahitian vanilla, grown from a different genus of vanilla orchid, is flowery and fruity, anisic and smooth.

Vanilla, with its wide range of flavor profiles, can be applied to a vast array of products. It is one of the most widely used flavors in the world, particularly in ice cream. It finds its way into sauces in Mexico and cookies in Sweden. Vanilla flavors fruits in Polynesia and perfumes colognes in Paris. Anywhere there is a need for a mellow accent that compliments sweet and savory, plain and fancy, vanilla is there.

cookessentials, May 30, 7:41am
Above and below from Nielsen-Massey website.

which vanilla product should I use?

Vanilla, though often thought of as simple, is anything but. Using the proper vanilla, or vanilla blend, for the proper application is an important part of a successful product. Each vanilla has distinct properties which function in different ways depending on the ingredients used and the type of application. Critical to the choice of vanillaMadagascar Bourbon Pure Vanilla for a product, is the application for which it is needed.

Madagascar Bourbon Pure Vanilla is especially suited to rich foods such as ice cream and buttercream. Pieces of whole Madagascar vanilla beans can also add rich aromatics to potpourri for a pleasing air freshener. Madagascar bourbon pur vanilla, Indonesian vanilla

For staying quality in products with coffee and chocolate, or for yogurt-based drinks, the blend of Madagascar Bourbon Pure Vanilla and Indonesian Vanilla is the choice to make. This blend is also the one to use when your process requires the use of high heat, as in high heat/low mass cookie production.

Mexican vanilla products and extractsSpicy Mexican Vanilla complements the flavor of cinnamon and can help reduce the acidity of tomato-based products like chili. Use Tahitian Vanillas to potentiate the flavors of fruit-based products such as sorbets and toppings.

Madagascar Bourbon Pure Vanilla pure vanilla powderPowder is the performer of choice for refrigerated doughs and batters, and dry mixes, while Nielsen-Massey Certified Organic Madagascar Bourbon Pure Vanilla Extract, Powder, or Whole Beans are perfect to use when that all-important Organic label is needed

cookessentials, May 30, 7:43am
http://www.nielsenmassey.com/faq.htm

willyow, May 31, 11:00am
Oh well cookessentials - plenty of people rave about our extracts - perhaps you should try some some locally-madeproduct time.

cookessentials, May 31, 11:41am
I just might willyow!

willyow, May 31, 6:47pm
You won't be disappointed!

cookessentials, May 31, 7:08pm
such a salesman!

willyow, May 31, 11:24pm
Well, what would you do if peoplekept making posts here to buy American brands, whenwe haveexcellent locally made brands - I've never had a complaint about ours -just compliments and lots and lots of repeat customers.

cookessentials, May 31, 11:30pm
my post was meant in the kindest possible way willyow and I am more than keen to try it it some stage. One just has to be careful in promoting others or their own listings.

willyow, May 31, 11:31pm
Of course, what someone isn't mentioning is that her online storeonly stocks the brand that keeps getting plugged here

Nielsen Massey Tahitian Pure Vanilla extract 59ml NZD$26. 95

And I'm the salesman? ? ? ?

deus701, Jun 1, 1:21am
willy, where does the vanilla used for your extract grown in?