Crock pot help please.

Page 1 / 2
janene8, Mar 25, 1:11am
i have never really used a crock pot, i have just returned to work and it would be helpful for family life. its an old one, a monier crock pot. do i cook the meat first! im planning on making a sausage casserole. anyone have one of these crock pots also! its old.

casey1232, Mar 25, 1:16am
Yop used to have one of them. Its no diff from modern pots really. Just dump the lot into the crockpot and leave it. Thats the beauty of them! No need to cook anything first.

janene8, Mar 25, 1:17am
ok thanks, should i have it on low or high! what the cooking time!

casey1232, Mar 25, 1:21am
If you are in a hurry id go for high for about 4 hours. This will be PLENTY for sausages. If you want to eat later tonight,7:30-8 onwards just leave it on low. You can leave it on low as long as you want. I put mine on low or auto in the morning and when i get home at night its all good to go.

janene8, Mar 25, 1:26am
ok so im trying it today with sausages, they are not pre cooked, should i cook them first! or just put them in whole! they are hard to cut, sorry sounds dumb i know, but as i said, havent used them.

casey1232, Mar 25, 1:34am
Hey no probs. Im a chef so i Like to help others with cooking :)
If you want to cut them up then you can seal(fry) them in a pan first so the skin is browned off a bit. Then cut them into bits, and add to crockpot. This gives them a bit of colour also. You can do them whole like this also. Or if you are not to worried about presentation just drop them straight in whole and save yourself time and effort. I have done it like this many times. After an hour or so just get a knife and cut them up in the crockpot as they are cooking. Easy

janene8, Mar 25, 1:38am
awsome, am doing that now, just browning in a pan for a few mins, i have just posted another for help with any type of recipes. this last week was hard for all of us as i worked late 2 nights, need to be a bit more organised with dinners.

casey1232, Mar 25, 1:41am
Chicken noodle soup is great for freezing and kids love it. Easy to microwave or reheat in pan. Bang add some bread and your away. Good for winter and hearty enough for the man in your life

casey1232, Mar 25, 1:44am
Chicken stock, shredded chicken, 2minute noodle packets, chopped onion, carrot, peas, salt and pepper. Can even dump it all into the crock pot and just leave it on low for the day. Family can eat it when they like this way, last person to eat just turns the pot off and refrigerate or freeze the leftovers when cold.

janene8, Mar 25, 1:49am
ooh thats a good idea, will def use that, should i used chicken noodles of is it just without the flavour sachets!

casey1232, Mar 25, 1:56am
Forget the flavour sachets. just break up the noodle block a bit. If after its cooked and you think it needs more chicken flavour sprinkle in ome of the sachet. I use Cambels real stock. However this is kinda expensive for stock, but i find the powdered stock horrible and not really worth it. Try and source a good premade liquid stock and you are away. Prob cheeper in Aussie though. And I think Cambels is an Aussie brand. If you want to make it thicker just use a bit of cornflower and HOT water at the end. Stir it in slowley until desired thickness.

janene8, Mar 25, 1:58am
ok brilliant. i do have cubes on chicken stock but will get a liquid, i think the kids will love this!

fifie, Mar 25, 2:05am
Devilled Sausages is good in C/P to, use the search function left hand side
<--------- of screenrecipes, crockpot last year,all kinds of recipes come up just choose what you like.

suzanna, Mar 25, 3:10am
Follow fifie's advice as more threads and recipes for cp recipes than you'll ever need! I fill my cp up and freeze leftovers for another meal. Have a look at the crockpot hangi as good for a change. I cooked a leg of pork awhile ago and it was beautiful- just seasonings no liquid. If I am cooking a casserole type meal then I do roll the cubed meat in seasonsed flour and flash fry to seal. Cp cooking is also very good for using up the dregs in sauce bottles or homemade plum sauce that is a little runny etc. Just combine whatever takes your fancy put the lid on and walk away! Yesterday I made brawn and used the cp in place of the stovetop to simmer the meat. I often do a huge batch of chickpeas to use for hummous, adding to other dishes etc. Daughter makes lasagne. If you have an older cp you wont ever overcook anything if you cook on low for a long time. I often cook overnight or from early in the morning until around 7pm when we get home and all's good. I sold my new slow cooker as cooked way too fast and bought an older one off tm.

suzanna, Mar 25, 3:14am
Cps are excellent to make your own chicken stock instead of buying an inferior product. You'll make enough to use and some to freeze. One of my kid's biggest disappointment was thinking that they'd found ice cream in the freezer but often it was either soup or stock!

fifie, Mar 25, 3:33am
Yep, way to go make all my stock in in also, and as for the slow/C use it for pickled pork, soup, silverside etc or lgeroasts prefer my 25yr old C/P any day.

baalamb, Mar 25, 7:47am
Best (and easiest) beef casserole ever:
Stewing or casseroling steak, chopped – use amount to suit, I usually cook a kilo at a time with these quantities and freeze in smaller portions

1 tin crushed pineapple
1 onion, chopped
1 tin concentrated tomato soup

Brown onion in small amount of oil. Brown meat, throw into crockpot with other ingredients. With my crockpot, I usually leave it on high for an hour or so and then turn it to low before heading out. In most crockpots, leaving it for the day on low should be fine.

If you’re feeling really lazy, don’t bother to brown onion or meat, throw all in together and cook in same way!

actiongirl1, Mar 25, 8:57am
To the stews I make in my c/p I add dumplings, makes the meal go further.

baalamb, Mar 25, 9:19am
Dumplings.yum! Good idea!

vomo2, Mar 26, 12:06am
Corn beef, pickled pork, cant beat the crockpot for these. And Xmas plum puddings brilliant recipe in Alison Holsts first Slow cooker book. So easy!

macandrosie, Mar 26, 12:12am
I always quickly boil my sausages first especially if I want to cut them up.
Also with slow cookers try coking a chicekn in it. Turns out great! I would put on about half 8 in morning on low if thawed (or high if frozen) and it would be ready by about 4pm. REally moist & tender!

fifie, Mar 26, 12:28am
have you tried the marinated pickled pork with mustard and honey cooked in crockpot! for a change. Bootifulll.

hotstuff111, Mar 26, 12:29am
ive just put a stu on some beef quickly fry with a onion tin tomatoes and a oxtail soup then put all into crock pot . the oxtail tail soup makes it really greveyish and i add a cup of water to soup.

lythande1, Mar 26, 5:38am
I've given mine away, I hate how it cooks, now if I want a slow cooked stew, I put it in a dish in a slow oven and set the oven timer. Much better results.

janny3, Mar 30, 1:23pm
This looks like the ticket for me.Make my own chicken stock via Jamie Oliver's recipe so now I can just get shredded chicken to make that soup in the slow cooker.Looks wondeful.Thanks!