Best apples for stewing?

psylent_kate, Mar 3, 10:55pm
Wanting to make some stewed apples for my daughter, what are the best apples to use or can i just grab any old bag on special at the supermarket!

harrislucinda, Mar 3, 10:58pm
theyalwayssaygranny smithbut thereareothersnowyou can stew
I havecox,snotquiteripebeenstewing thoseandmadeapplespongehope thathelps

korbo, Mar 3, 11:06pm
I stew all sorts of apples, gala dont mush down, so i just get out the potato masher and mash em up.

ecd_nz, Mar 4, 12:42am
Ballarat are amazing if you can find them - they're an old fashioned type and become really fluffy with a delicious tart flavor. Yum!

carter19, Mar 4, 2:04am
I use anything but for special things I like to use Peasgoodnonsuch. These are usually available from markets. They are a really nice fluffy cooking apple

kinna54, Mar 4, 2:09am
I often use granny smith, but my favourites for all cooking are Braeburn. (Unfortunately at the moment quite expensive as in $3.95 a kg the other day compared to 95ckgfor royal galas.)
The Braeburn have a lovely flavour not as tart or watery as a granny, but not as sweet as a gala. Also a didderent texture to a gal when cooked.

kinna54, Mar 4, 2:09am
I often use granny smith, but my favourites for all cooking are Braeburn. (Unfortunately at the moment quite expensive as in $3.95 a kg the other day compared to 95ckgfor royal galas.)
The Braeburn have a lovely flavour not as tart or watery as a granny, but not as sweet as a gala. Also a different texture to a gala when cooked.

guest, Sep 12, 7:19am
i find granny smith good