Who here makes their own yogurt?

jcsolgier, Mar 3, 5:41am
I am wanting to start and have an old hansell set, but was wondering if anyone knows where I could buy starter/culture from! I live near Hamilton. Thanks

gardie, Mar 3, 5:46am
do a search in the boxes on the left - plenty of threads.Remember to change date posted to last year.Many people making their own from milk powder so that its much cheaper. For the starter, you just use a couple of tablespoons of brought yoghurt (plain, unsweetened).

jjt4lma, Mar 3, 6:43am
I have an easiyo yoghurt maker that I use all the time. Its fantastic and much cheaper than buying it! I buy the packets in the supermarket in the isle with the condensed milk and soy milk etc. I have seen the hansells ones at countdown but not at new world. So try countdown. They're usually above the easiyo ones.

uli, Mar 3, 6:47am
Use either "easy yo" or ring CHR Hansen for a starter.

jjt4lma, Mar 3, 6:50am
Oh and a tip with easiyo is to make the water tempered that you put the powder in because it is getting colder now so unless you want runny flavoured water then add a bit of warm water so that it will thicken properly :)

lindylambchops1, Mar 3, 7:45am
I love my Easiyo yogurt maker.Have had it since they first came out.I use the packet stuff but also use a fresh starter or use the remains of a made yogurt.I never warm my water to mix with the powder even in winter.Just use boiling water in the Easiyo flask/container.I fill this to just over the line.My yogurt is usually left on the bench to 'make' either over night or during the day & night.I also use the Easiyo packets or the Hansell ones, depends which are on special.Happy Yogurt Making!

beaker59, Mar 3, 11:17am
I just use plain blue top milk works really well. For a starter lately I have been using a Piako plain yogurt a tablespoon or two pour in the milk shake well and then into the yogurt maker with the boiling water. Works really well.

Why do people use the powdered milk it tastes so artificial!

janny3, Mar 3, 2:08pm
I agree, the powdered milk yoghurt is yuck but can be much cheaper than using fresh milk and is fine for cooking (etc).Even if you have a lot of fresh milk to hand, (like my dairy farmer friend) stirring 3 Tb of powdered milk into your scalded and cooled milk, will help thicken the end product.

jcsolgier, Mar 3, 8:46pm
Have been trying to use yogurt as a starter but haven't been getting very good results, I will try using a different kind, I can't wait for it to be working properly and have awesome fresh yogurt!

dibble35, Mar 3, 8:48pm
I currently use milk powder and to be honest really enjoy the yoghurt i make. Must try making it with milk one day to see what that tastes like. It works out a bit cheaper with the powder. $1.15 a Litre as opposed to $1.55 a litre with the cheapest milk i can buy in town, but its probably more convenience, I always have the M.P. in the house to make bread with anyway

janny3, Mar 4, 1:52am
I just don't like the kind of grainy-ness of powdered milk yoghurts but the cost of fresh milk is hard on the budget.Have compromised w/ half & half.For the Easiyo:
2 c scalded & cooled fresh milk, 1/2 c powder, mix in your starter & top up w/ water.A bit creamier, esp if using the full cream milk & FC powder.

beaker59, Mar 4, 4:31am
I used to get variable results with milk but then I was using it straight from the fridge so suspect I wasn't getting warm enough so I now warm it up in the microwave before I add the yogurt culture just to slightly warmer than room temp seems enough then into the maker with the usual boiling water. Now my yogurt always comes out nice and thick and creamy.

uli, Mar 4, 5:38am
You can get a starter culture from CHR Hansen (google it) and use your own milk - or you can buy milk powder sachets with the culture already added from any supermarket - they do 1 l of yoghurt for $3 from memeory.

peterbk, Mar 5, 1:03am
I make my own yoghurt in a easiyo yoghurt maker. I use a couple of tbsps of symbio yoghurt for healthy gut bacteria as a starter. I mix up 3/4 cup whole milk powder and 3/4 cup skim milk powder which makes a lovely thick greek style yoghurt. In cooler weather i too add 1/2 cup of boiling water to the tap water i use to make up the mix. In really hot weather i add a 1/2 cup of cold water to the water that surrounds the jar in the maker.
I leave it to sit 5 - 6 hours only so that it is not too sour.

nauru, Mar 5, 1:17am
I usually use the packets of yogurt mix in my Easiyo maker, but I'm keen to try making it with milk powder & starter. Can I use skim milk powder or does it have to be full cream!

janny3, Apr 10, 12:46pm
You can use skim milk pwdr.1 c in your Easiyo & starter.Some ppl add another 1/2 c pwdr to ensure it's a thicker consistency.

I've always liked the Adelle Davis recipe too.

1 1/2 cups of non instant milk powder
large can evaporated milk
6 cups water
1 – 3 Tbs starter yoghurthttp://katsyfga.wordpress.com/2008/04/19/make-your-own-yogurt/

lilyfield, Apr 11, 2:07am
Why do people use the powdered milk it tastes so artificial!

not to me- have had nothing else for the last 40 years