Dried mushrooms

eljayv, Mar 2, 8:15pm
I usually use fresh but like the idea of having mushroom on hand to add to a dish without making a trip to the green grocer.If you use them which brand and where to you buy them!i know Asian shops have them but I can't read the labels to find out just which mushrooms they are.and i would like to knowwhich mushrooms I am using.

mackenzie2, Mar 2, 8:19pm
Just ask the shop assistant to help you at the asian shops, they will know which pack would be best for what you want

davidt4, Mar 2, 9:59pm
The dried mushrooms sold in Asian food markets are usually shitaake mushrooms.They have a distinctive flavour, which is delicious in Asian dishes but might be a bit peculiar in European ones.

If you just want to add bulk to a dish without a distinctive flavour you could use Chinese dried silver cloud fungus, a frilly cream coloured fungus that has little flavour but a lovely meaty texture and it absorbs flavour from whatever it is cooked with.http://www.foodwonder.com/2011/07/silvercloud-ears-white-fungus/

For European dried mushrooms look for porcini.They are quite expensive but very concentrated, so you don't need very many to flavour a dish.

kay141, Mar 2, 10:07pm
I buy packets of dried mixed mushrooms in an Asian store. I use them for soups, casseroles and stirfries. They need soaking in a wam liquid for 20 mins before use. For soups and cassseroles, I soak them in the appropriate stock. Otherwise, warm water.

eljayv, Mar 3, 1:41am
It all sounds good advice thanks

lurtz, Mar 4, 3:31am
Thanks for posting this very interesting web link.