What can I add to my rice to make it taste nice.

Page 1 / 2
kiwicoopers, Apr 5, 5:57am
What can I add to my rice to make it taste nice. I find soy sauce isnt that nice.
(we will be having fish on the side)

twindizzy, Apr 5, 5:59am
Balsamic vinegar

samanya, Apr 5, 6:01am
sesame oil . . just a dash

jmonster, Apr 5, 6:02am
I add one or more of the following butter, garlic salt, a squeeze of lemon, cumin, chicken stock cube, sliced spring onion, cooked chopped onion, just whatever really.

darlingmole, Apr 5, 6:17am
have to concur with jmonster - chicken stock is a goody. as is spring onion, dash ofbutter/salt/pepper/oil/garlic ...

martine5, Apr 5, 7:28am
Do you wash it before you cook it and then add salt before you put the rice in?

jag5, Apr 5, 7:40am
I don't wash rice. Put rice in pot, put water in until about 1 inch above the top of rice, add salt, knob of butter, bring to the boil stirring often. Turn down heat, let simmer for about 10 minutes, stirring sometimes. When water has disapeared, turn off heat, put on lid and let steam. Takes about 10 minutes. Fluff with a fork. I find by doing this, I have lovely fluffy rice every time.

Flavouring can be done, with chickenstock, garlic any of the above suggestions, put in at onset of cooking.

1buzemum, Apr 5, 9:24am
I fry little onion & garlic. Add raisins, currents & pine nuts fry little more. Add mint, and tomatoe seeded and chopped. heat through and stir into rice.

I make up enough so I put in about 1/2 a cup into the rice.

red2, Apr 5, 10:05pm
fresh herbs , mixed veges , spring onion

nik144, Apr 5, 11:54pm
try adding a beaten egg

buzzy110, Apr 6, 12:27am
I must be the only person in NZ who always washes her rice. No way do I want to risk eating talc which may or may not have been added to prevent the rice from absorbing liquid before it reaches the pot.

The only time I don't wash rice is the rice that has been specially vacuum packed to prevent water absorption and comes with explicit instructions not to wash.

White rice isn't a protein, vitamin, mineral and enzyme packed superfood so the loss of nutrients in pre-washing will be negligible and stops the grains from sticking together. Another thing that most people do is overcook it till the grains split. The resulting mush is just hideous.

lynja, Apr 6, 3:25am
i always add a good tbsp of butter while cooking. gives a lovely flavour.

helen59, Apr 6, 3:58am
Use a teaspoon of powdered stock per cup of water you use.

nainmary, Apr 6, 7:40am
I always wash my rice in a strainer until the water runs cear. Always understood that you should.

roys351, Apr 6, 11:48am
BUZZY 110 i so agree with you after cooking rice i rinse well with hot water, rice is a high risk of food poisioning reheating or using again

damlj, Apr 7, 12:45am
Peanut Butter - don't knock it until you try it - just mix in the peanut butter with cooked rice - tastes great - popular in Africa

buzzy110, Apr 7, 4:01am
Crunchy, medium or smooth?

anna2204, Apr 7, 4:31am
Cook the rice in chicken stock instead of plain water :)

genekiss, Apr 7, 7:53am
Add a Star Anise to the rice as you cook it, tried this in Tahiti, makes a nice difference. Perfect rice every time... . 1 cup of rice in a pot, fill with water and then empty water out, do this twice, then add 1 cup of water, put on high on stove top with lid on, when you hear it boiling turn down as low as possible and set timer for 8 minutes, turn off after this, leave for a few minutes and then fluff up with a fork, do not take lid off during cooking time. Perfect every time, the trick is getting your element to go as low as possible, learnt this from a Thai cooking tutor and has never failed

genekiss, Apr 7, 7:54am
cont... The guy that showed me the Star anise idea used a rice cooker and used 5 stars, start with 1 or 2 to test

andrea1978, Apr 7, 10:22am
mix some saffron in a bit of water and pour over some of the rice when it's cooked. persian rice is divine - you could google how to make it. best rice i've tasted! especially when fruit and vegetables are added to it as well ... yum :)

fisher, Jun 20, 8:46am
yup wash rice. . cook in chicken stock. . add tsp or so of turmeric. . and mix in peas that have been rinsed in a colander to remove ice and put into a pot of boiling water till heated through... (power turned off). . Do the same for corn kernels and whole beans. .

cookessentials, Jun 20, 10:09am
You could try Tah-Dig which my Sister makes regularly as her partner is Persian. It is basically rice with a crunchy crust and is absolutley delicious. It is great with dishes with a sauce. She does some beautiful Persian lamb dishes with preserved lemons and dried limes along with the rice.

aktow, Jun 20, 1:33pm
no i always wash my rice before cooking

mwood, Jun 20, 4:31pm
Wash long grain white rice to remove rice dust (talc ! ! ! ? jeez! ) this helps prevent it sticking together no matter what method you prefer to cook it. Conversely do not wash short grain or "sticky" rice as you want it to stick together. Adding coconut threads or coconut milk is a flavour booster for both.