What fish do you prefer.

Page 2 / 2
cookessentials, Feb 8, 10:28pm
Enjoying groper at the moment with a little lime salt.

texastwo, Feb 8, 10:32pm
Thanks seniorbones. Usually we buy our fish off the boat in Lowry Bay on Sat morning but always willing to try something different.I like to buy whole fish to make curry, but husband prefers pan fried.I do like John's for their fried Fish and chips - they do chips they way i prefer

fisher, Feb 8, 10:33pm
Valentino.Seem to be most caught around the wellington coast and a few up here off shore. I have never caught one but have been on a boat where one was caught.
Friends go 40 miles out and get LOTS of bluenose, gemfish,bass and hapuka. so I am well catered for in this department.we have decided we dont like gemfish and its too floury/marshmellowy.LOL. deep fried blue nose chunks hmmmmVince go a bluey the other day and it was 84 POUND.thats a big boy.

Valentino.Seem to be most caught around the wellington coast and a few up here off shore. I have never caught one but have been on a boat where one was caught.
Friends go 40 miles out and get LOTS of bluenose, gemfish,bass and hapuka. so I am well catered for in this department.we have decided we dont like gemfish and its too floury/marshmellowy.LOL.deep fried blue nose chunks hmmmmVince got a bluey the other day and it was 84 POUND.thats a big boy.
There's NO WAY i would ever pay 36.95 a kilo for snapper these days.that's twice the price of rump steak. shame on us when its so prolific on our doorstep.

Friends go 40 miles out and get LOTS of bluenose, gemfish,bass and hapuka. so I am well catered for in this department.we have decided we dont like gemfish and its too floury / marshmellowy.Deep fried battered blue nose chunks hmmmmVince got a bluey the other day and it was 84 POUND.thats a big boy.
There's NO WAY i would ever pay 36.95 a kilo for snapper these days.that's twice the price of rump steak. shame on us when its so prolific on our doorstep.

terraalba, Feb 8, 10:38pm
Blue Cod is my fish delight. It's so expensive. I buy it for an entree though.

valentino, Feb 9, 2:17am
So true re price of Snapper esp when others abound but even some of those are getting up there now. Lemon fish for example use to be dirt cheap but now equivalent to the price of a decent rump or sirloin steak. although found a upplier in Mt Albert that sells them about $12.95 to $15 a kilo, great for wholesome fish pie.

Gurnard and tarakihi is the other mostly buy but these are rising on the back of snapper prices via demands.

This thread is really building into a great thread.

Good Stuff.

Cheers everyone.

valentino, Feb 9, 2:17am
So true re price of Snapper esp when others abound but even some of those are getting up there now. Lemon fish for example use to be dirt cheap but now equivalent to the price of a decent rump or sirloin steak. although found a supplier in Mt Albert that sells them about $12.95 to $15 a kilo, great for wholesome fish pie.

Gurnard and tarakihi are the others one mostly buy but these are rising on the back of snapper prices via demands.

This thread is really building into a great thread.

Editing to add that Smoked Warehou, another fish sought has increased in price greatly also. still very yummy though. The supplier of these smoke their own as well as getting it in pre-smoked. Their own smoking process is superb and took some to Australia - no problems and the Aust-Greek custom officer commented " great feast coming up" LOL.

Good Stuff.

Cheers everyone.

seniorbones, Feb 9, 5:53am
I didnt think they were allowed to sell off the boat! they must have a special licence or sell on behalf of another fisherman that caught it maybe. I did see them doing that in wgtn one sunday morning too. You chose the fish they weighed and sold it and then filleted it for you, you pay for the whole thing but they kept the bones heads etc, I suppose they would give you it if you asked.

lindylambchops1, Feb 9, 6:08am
George, Bert & Ernie!

valentino, Feb 9, 6:10am
Love it. Good one, LOL.

alegnak, Feb 9, 6:11am
Blue cod, john dory, and gurnard - smoked I like salmon and my dads absolutely yummy scrummy mullet, mmmMMMmmm

camper18, Feb 9, 11:13pm
Blue Cod, Gurnard, and cant go past a good home smoked mullet, especially straight from the smoker.