Dad use to make a salad dressing out of condensed

nicky4010, Jan 31, 7:01am
milk what else do i put in it !it was soooooo yummy

kuaka, Jan 31, 7:04am
Vinegar, mustard powder, salt, pepper.It used to be on the label of the Highlander Condensed milk.Hubby insists I make it, even though I prefer a "real" mayonnaise.I can happily eat salad without dressing, so not an issue really.

nicky4010, Jan 31, 7:06am
thanx i love it does it matter how much of each ingredient its not on the can

elliehen, Jan 31, 7:24am
trademequeen wrote:

QUOTE: This is the one I use. Off an old mustard tin from the 1960's :)

1 can sweetened condensed, 1 cup vinegar, 1 cup salad oil, 1/2tsp salt, 1-2 teasp mustard powder (I use 1teasp) and 4 egg yolks. Beat altogether until well blended and pour into a jar with lid (Moccona coffee jars are excellent) and store in fridge. Keeps well and is a great dressing for coleslaw.
Enjoy :) UNQUOTE

wizardoo, Jan 31, 7:34am
Use highlander milk not plain pac stuff as it does not set as thick

elliehen, Jan 31, 7:35am
Thanks wizardoo.I was off searching old threads for just this info as you were posting.

maynard9, Jan 31, 8:10am
It is funny how tastes change over the years.

I grew up with this - Mum didn't know any different.

When I started doing my own recipes I never actually made it - there were so many others to try.

Had it recently at a friends BBQ and I lterally couldn't finish the salad as I found it unbearably sweet.

korbo, Jan 31, 8:14am
I have used Pams, Cinderella and the other cheaper condensed milk.
I have (as my mother and nana before me), always added a whole egg when beating it all up.
Sometimes it is a little on the runny side, but tastes and does the job.
\
Last week i had no malt vinegar, and used wine vinegar. the taste was slightly different and actually family enjoyed it more.

flower-child01, Jan 31, 8:34am
Here is the original recipe as using Highlander's http://brama-sole.co.nz/recipes/salad-dressing/

kuaka, Jan 31, 10:15am
and I use whatever is on special when I shop, so sometimes it's Pams, sometimes it's homebrand, sometimes it's Highlander.I haven't noticed any difference.It all looks pretty thick when the can is opened.I don't make a whole tin at a time, only maybe a tablespoonful of condensed milk, a smidgeon of mustard powder, and enough vinegar to mix it to the right taste, rather than the right consistency.

korbo, Jan 31, 7:50pm
I wonder by putting in the egg, it keeps longer.
In the winter I make the same recipe as above, and it keeps for 2-3 months.
do add mustard and pepper, just the same as flower-child posted.

kuaka, Jan 31, 10:18pm
I don't think I'd want it to last very long with raw egg in it.

flower-child01, Jan 31, 11:40pm
I make it to the recipe, and store it in a jar in the fridge. It keeps for months.

korbo, Feb 1, 2:30am
kuaka, mum lived to well beyond 80, me not yet there, and hasnt done us any harm. I would think that with the vinegar in, that would preserve it all.anyway, everyone has different ideas.

kuaka, Feb 1, 5:45am
You could well be right, I just don't "fancy" it.

dalkemade, Feb 1, 8:18am
I use 1 can of Highlander Lite, 1/2 cup raspberry vinegar, 1/2 cup malt vinegar, 1 Tb Olive or Avocado Oil, 1/2 to 1 tsp English Mustard or Mustard Powder. Mix together. Will taste a bit vinegary when made but mellows together very fast. Keep in fridge.

muffycaz, Feb 2, 3:36am
Isnt the recipe on the side of the condensed milk can

lindylambchops1, Feb 2, 3:52am
Wow I have some raspberry vinegar which I don't know what to do with.problem solved thank you!

flower-child01, Feb 2, 5:50am
muffycaz, that is the same recipe I have shared, and is on Bramasole.

catsrule666, Dec 23, 1:50am
thanx every1