Thermowave & cooking roast mutton help please

grannymum, Jan 26, 2:48am
x1
I have a new westinghouse saturn oven & after reading the manual I am left so confused.Do I use thermowave, bake or fan grill!

dezzie, Jan 26, 6:14am
I'd use bake, on about 150, for hours, mutton needs to be slow roasted, but lucky you!

lythande1, Jan 26, 7:35am
I never use bake, found it burns the bottom, even up high. I always thermowave everything now.

lythande1, Jan 26, 7:35am
Also you don't grill a roast.

grannymum, Jan 26, 4:39pm
Thanks Dezzie, I was lucky enough to have it given to me!.Lythande the manual said for lamb roast to fan grill which is why I was confused.Ended up trying a bit of everything & it turned out lovely lol! Haven't tried any baking in it yet. Thanks for your help.

beaker59, Jan 26, 9:28pm
I use a covered roasting dish for mutton and other slow roasts. A small amount of water in the pan then add roast usually rubbed well with crushed garlic and rosemary sprigsalso plenty of salt then cover and fan bake for up to 5 hrs though usually 3is enough its done when the bones seperate from the meat enough to pull them out without disrupting the shape of the roast so that even a large shoulder becomes very easy to carve. you do end up with allot of fat though with some mutton so sometimes best to elevate meat on a rack in the pan.

This is one of my favourite roasts :)

grannymum, Jan 26, 10:49pm
Thanks beaker - I have saved this to my recipe collection. Looks delicious
What temperature do you use!

beaker59, Jan 26, 10:59pm
In my oven its 150 degrees fan bake but that can vary with different ovens. I do cook allot of wild meats so a covered pan was a great investment as it slows the process while retaining the moisture better. Wild goat done this way is absolutely delicious and tender. Its how our grandmothers used to roast when Mutton was the standard cheap family roast.

grannymum, Jan 29, 6:52am
Thanks beaker, really appreciate it.

turtle,kelly, Apr 7, 2:11am
i have a new westinghouse saturn and want o bake potatoes pumpkin and kumara what temp do i use to roast them using thermowave and for how long?