Yorkshire pudding.help please!

Page 1 / 2
maxi27, Jan 12, 12:45am
can someone please help me, I can't for the life of me I can't get the yorkshires to cook on the inside. They raise up and brown nicely on the outside, then when it comes to eating them they are all mushy and uncooked on the inside. I have a hot oven and have even had it just below 250 which burnt them a little but I'm getting so frustrated with it, I just can't think why they aren't cooking. How much dripping do you put in the patty pans! maybe my mixture isn't right, I don't have it thick, cause I was once told to have it a bit on the runny side.please help

lindylambchops1, Jan 12, 1:25am
Try this recipe of mine:
Yorky Puds
2 eggs
4 heaped Tablespoons of plain flour
300 mls milk
1 Tablespoon olive oil
Pinch salt

Whisk together in a large jug.Have ready 12 holed muffin pan with a little oil in each hole.Place the tin in oven to heat until smoking.Keep eye on it, then when oil in tins is hot pour batter mixture in.I cook these at 200C Fan for approx 20 mins.
I sometimes add dried herbs, eg thyme great with roast beef.

They should rise nicely & hollow out.Enjoy!

cookessentials, Jan 12, 1:33am
I was going to say.there didn't look like there was anything wrong with your method of making them #1.maybe try lindy's recipe and see if it makes a difference.

cgvl, Jan 12, 3:48am
I use a recipe similar to lindy's also but beat the egg whites until stiff and then fold in. Also mine say's to let it sit for a while before filling tins but as I am usually running around like a hairy chook I dont. Sometimes stodgy but mostly light and fluffy.

maxi27, Jan 12, 4:02am
Thanks lindylambchops I will try your recipe but can you please tell me how much oil do you put in the patty tins!I also do as you and heat the patty tins til they just about start to smoke then I pour the batter mixture in but I still have had no luck so I will try your recipe for sure and thanks again for your help.

fisher, Jan 12, 4:17am
You could try this one. as well
Ingredients:
Lard - a little, melted for each pudding.110gplain flour .1 Large egg.300 ml milk.1/3 tsp salt.
Method:
Place the flour in a bowl, then make a well in the centre and break in the egg.Add half the milk and, using a wooden spoon, work in the flour.
Beat the mixture until it is smooth then add the remaining milk. Beat until well mixed and the surface is covered with tiny bubbles.
Let batter mixture rest at least 15 mins.Put a little lard in individual Yorkshire pudding tins or large muffin tin.Place in oven until the fat is very hot and bubbling.Pour the batter into the tins and bake for 10 to 15 minutes for individual puddings until risen and golden brown.
DO NOT OPEN OVEN DOOR while cooking.
I also add herbs depending on the meal. sage for pork. rosemary for beef.tarragon for chicken.thyme for lamb.

lindylambchops1, Jan 12, 4:39am
I just put enough oil to almost cover the bottom of the muffin hols.

maxi27, Jan 12, 8:56am
Thanks guys i'll try all the recipes you give me until I can get this right. Its really really frustrating.my mum used to make huge yorkshire puds but shes gone now and I really wished I took more notice of her instead of just enjoying eating them! Thanks again

nfh1, Jan 12, 8:57am
Is you oven cooking everything else ok!

kuaka, Jan 12, 9:42am
I haven't made Yorkshires for years, but used to be pretty good at them.I always just put the flour in the bowl, add an egg with a pinch of salt and some pepper, and mix, then add some milk (nothing is measured, just guessed) and then beat till the mix is nice and smooth.Set aside to rest for a while - 15 to 20 mins.Heat the oil until it's smoking, then pour the batter into the tins.Bake for about 10 minutes in really hot oven then remove from the oven, pour off the excess oil, return to the oven and bake for a further 10 to 15 minutes with the heat reduced to about 150 deg.This way they rise nicely up the sides and the bottoms/middles cook though.Never had a failure.

nfh1, Jan 12, 10:01am
As a Lancastrian with a Yorkshire Mum, I hardly dare post!But you really have to let the mixture rest as kuaka says above.I make small ones and use a spray of oil in each- stick it in the oven for a couple of minutes to heat then pour a small amount of mixture in each compartment.I have oven at 220C and they take about 12 minutes to cook.

Do not open oven door until ready!Enjoy.

kamitchell, Jan 12, 10:46pm
I make the recipe in the Edmonds book, they turn out perfect every time!

cookessentials, Jan 12, 10:58pm
My Mum is also from Yorkshire and for a while hers were not turning out well either.she put it down to the flour. She does not use cooking spary, she uses oil. The oil in the pans needs to be smoking hot. Also the batter MUST rest before going tinto the hot pan.you want it to sizzle as you pour it in.

nfh1, Jan 12, 11:02pm
I do not use cooking spray cookes - it is just a spray bottle filled with oil.

sarahb5, Jan 12, 11:04pm
I also find the tin you use makes a difference too - if you use a cheap, thin tin they tend to burn on the outside before cooking on the inside.I have a nice heavy patty pan tin and it makes great popovers (individual Yorkshires) - much better than the muffin pan

maxi27, Jan 12, 11:53pm
i have tried the spray too and they are easy to remove from the patty pans this way but I still have no joy with them being cooked, they are still mushy inside. Thank you everyone for all your input its really interesting all these different ideas/ways and I'm keen to try most of them.

greg.n.michelle, Jan 13, 9:34am
smoking hot oil, and Fisher is right . DO NOT OPEN THEOVEN

trah, Jan 13, 8:06pm
Maxi - you may be putting a bit too much mixture in the patty pans.Try slightly less next time, in addition to the beating to bubbles stage, and resting for at least 15 mins.When I was a girl (I'm a Yorkshire lass), my mum used to make up the batter several hours before it was cooked, but our kitchen was colder than our kitchens are here, and I wouldn't leave it out that long here!

andrew499, Jan 13, 8:15pm
i seem to remember reading in an Alison Holst book to let Yorkshire puds cook for about 15 minutes at 220 then another 15 at 180 so the walls have a chance to set.hope this may be of some help.

cookessentials, Jan 13, 8:16pm
Thanks nfh1.yep, spotted that now.

sandy14, Jan 13, 8:52pm
A good tip from Masterchef Australia was when they are just about cooked, flip each Yorkshire upside down in the tin and put back in oven for a few mins.This lets any oil drain and crisps the bottom.

maxi27, Jan 14, 12:05am
Thanks Trah, yes that might be the problem,. I usually 3/4 fill the patty pans, how much does everyone else put in them please!

gaspodetwd, Jan 14, 5:19am
That's way too much mixture! Definitely no more than half full - more like a third full.
Smoking hot oil. Full fat milk - this is really important!
Mega hot oven and Do not open the oven door when cooking.
Cold batter means a quicker rise too. I am from Yorkshire!

sarahb5, Jan 14, 8:46am
My friend used to say his grandma's rose better than anyone's because she sat on the back step beating Yorkshire air into them!Funny thing was Wiltshire air seemed to work just as well when she visited him - unless she was somehow bringing Yorkshire air with her of course .

maxi27, Jan 14, 8:26pm
Thanks everyone, I'll be making some in a couple of days with many fingers crossed.you all have given great advise surely I can't still go wrong this time, thanks again guys.