Keeping fresh eggs as fresh as possible

Page 2 / 2
lyl_guy, Jan 3, 8:15am
I actually have a daily problem. deciding which END is the pointy end, lol!Our girl's eggs are pretty oval, and I have to take a quick look on 'instinct' to decide which end I'll put downwards in the carton!

bedazzledjewels, Jan 3, 7:35pm
Bump - gently for those eggs!

mwood, Jan 3, 10:17pm
I have my own chooks - green trade some eggs and store my own in the fridge pointy side down. Small ones kept at room temperature tho and used for bread baking, egg washes etc. Any surplus become Sweet Pickled eggs also kept in a jar in the Fridge.

lx4000, Jan 4, 12:05am
they are protein, so I keep them in the fridge and take out to get to room temp before cooking with them. Ever cracked a rotten egg! hahahaha to me, fridge is bestest! We have free range eggs here also. hehehehe I have a cook laying on the deck at the mo, so nice and close at hand if needed!

olwen, Jan 4, 12:35am
How many are refrigerated when you buy them!

dreamers, Jan 4, 1:29am
My carton says , store at or below 15%,nothing about storing in a fridge.

rainrain1, Jan 4, 2:51am
A cook laying on the deck, you lucky thing

daisyhill, Jan 4, 3:08am
An interesting old thread.

I believe egg producers (particularly in America) recommend refrigeration because the way the eggs are produced in such bulk makes them liable to have all kinds of nasties on the shells. Abused chickens in huge factory farms don't make for healthy birds and shells. I've never heard that it's necessary for clean eggs from clean healthy birds.

As for making eggs keep for a long time, just rub a little butter all over the shell. That's what has always been done in our family. It blocks the pores and stops the egg from drying out.

dalkemade, Jan 4, 6:18am
Strewth ! Of course they should be kept in the fridge. After all the egg shells are porous.

bev00, Jan 4, 9:18am
If the eggs have been washed its absolutely necessary to store them in the fridge.

nfh1, Jan 4, 9:24am
But you use shop bought!I cannot understand why you would do that if they are better!

nfh1, Jan 4, 9:25am
Why is that!

kuaka, Jan 4, 9:53am
My uncle used to manage a poultry farm in the UK and he always said it was impossible to buy a fresh egg in the shops.In those days (I'm going back a few decades here) he reckoned eggs were two to three weeks old before they got to the shops.I hope things have improved since then.

pheebs1, Jan 4, 10:01am
store bought cage eggs are definately old old old
they are runny and disgusting
free range seem to be much fresher though i get mine at the farmers market i would love to have my own chooks!

shop-a-holic, Jan 4, 10:25am
Exercise: Each time you go to the store, find the expiry date of the freshest eggs you can find in the whole heap. This means you'll have to read the best before date on each carton, until you find the stack which has the furthest date out.
Now, continue your studies for a further 3 weeks; recording or taking a mental note of the freshest batch.
Your conclusions to this simple exercise, may satisfy your own self discovery of how long eggs last from the day they arrive in a store and the distance to their Best Before Date.
The maximum I've found is 5 weeks.
And those are the ones I stock up on :-)

katalin2, Jan 4, 10:29am
I keep my eggs in the pantry. Each is dated as brought in from our free range chooks. They have a pretty short life span ( the eggs, not the chooks!) as daughter gets surplus or visitors get half a dozen to take home. I usually have a stock of 6-8 eggs which are never more than a few days old.

shop-a-holic, Jan 4, 11:13am
That's good to know katalin2. :-)
I'm just giving advice to the masses whom don't have access to free range chickens in their gardens.
It's also important to give tools to a supermarket shopper to make the best decision or select the freshest product.
I've yet to see a sign on the egg aisle which screams."Pick Me! Pick Me".
It's also important to only buy as much as you'll use in a week, cos there's bound to be another truck load arriving soon.At least by watching the egg aisles, there may be a better arrival time of said truck.

My staff provide me with eggs from their "girls" from time to time; but I can get caught in the meantime not having enough.

spot20, Jan 4, 8:59pm
Hahaha classic.i have done the same when i have been given fresh eggs! Supermarket eggs seem to give me a belly ache .much harder to digest for some reason.stale maybe! Which reminds me I must put the pressure on my friend with the chooks.my cupboard is bare.I never put eggs in the fridge!

ange164, Jan 4, 9:49pm
in the fridge pointy end down. Just because that's the way my mother stored fertile eggs whilst waiting for a clucky hen to put them under.
She said the largest nest she's seen a hen sit on was 21 eggs. That's laying every day for three weeks. So We decided that nature intended them to be "stored" no longer than 3 weeks, at springtime outdoor temperatures.

uli, Jan 4, 11:06pm
Except if you take Australorps (the Australian version of Orpingtons) - they will lay 25 to 30 eggs easily before they sit - and in the middle of summer - as our summer here is cool compared to where they were "developed" . so really eggs last about 60 days at 30 degrees C - IF you turn them daily (which is what the chooks do!).
In case you want to go back to the basics. Otherwise into the fridge they go (not here of course).

nfh1, Jan 5, 9:24am
But you use shop bought!I cannot understand why you would do that if they are better!I would love to have my own eggs - don't think the neighbours would approve though.

cookessentials, Jan 2, 7:01am
Store them with the pointy end down to keep longer. I keep them in the fridge. When required for baking, I remove them prior to use to come to room temp.