Quality beef recipes please

davidt4, Dec 31, 8:33pm
What does "1 quantity" mean please !

richard198, Jan 1, 12:04am
Depends on how you get your tamarind.
Fresh pods: use 2, scoop out fruit and mix with 2 Tbs of water
Paste: 1/2 Tbs (2 Tbs of water) I reckon it's okay to vary this to suit; so long as you've got "some' in there, it will be fine.
Some people use galangal/fresh ginger as well.

davidt4, Jan 1, 2:10am
And "1 quantity" of mussaman paste!

richard198, Jan 1, 3:44am
I knew you'd come back with that as well! Sorry if it's a bit vague; I tend to vary what I put in according to how I feel. It depends on what paste you're using and how hot you want it. Minimum 2 Tbs or 3 Tbs for the "full" flavour.
I'm not really a recipe person (every time I cook something it comes out slightly different; makes it more interesting. I tend to stare into my fridge and pantry and make something up based on what I can see!)

davidt4, Jan 1, 3:59am
This is the paste that I make for Massaman curries:

Massaman Curry Paste

Makes 250 g

use 2 tab per 800g meat

2 dried long red chillies, deseeded and soaked in hot water, chopped
1 stalk lemongrass, sliced
2.5 cm galangal, chopped
5 cloves
10 cm cinnamon bark, crushed
10 cardamom seeds
½ tsp nutmeg
6 cloves garlic
4 shallots, chopped
4 - 5 coriander roots, chopped
1 tsp shrimp paste

Pound spices, add rest of ingredients and pound to a smooth paste.

Will keep 2 weeks in refrigerator.

hesian, Dec 30, 11:18pm
Cooking beef for pot luck.What are your best dinner party beef recipes please!Preferably without dairy as one person allergic.

davidt4, Dec 30, 11:29pm
Vietnamese Beef, Peanut & Cabbage Salad

Dressing:

1 hot chilli seeded and chopped
2 large garlic cloves finely chopped
1 tsp palm sugar (or equivalent sweetener)
3 tab lime juice
3 tab fish sauce
100 ml coconut cream
1 small red onion finely sliced
30g ginger, julienned
400g white cabbage shredded (or ½ cucumber in ribbons)
handfuls of of mint, coriander, Vietnamese mint, Thai basil, sweet basil (as available)
50 g peanuts, roasted, cooled and roughly crushed
400 - 450g beef sirloin, rump or fillet
1 tsp fish sauce for beef
1 tsp peanut oil

Several hours before serving (or the day before):

Mix chilli, garlic, sugar, lime juice, fish sauce and coconut cream and dissolve sugar.Add ginger, cabbage and onion and combine well.Leave to macerate several hours, turning over occasionally (or overnight).

Roast peanuts (or fry in a little peanut oil until toasted).Cool and crush lightly.

30 minutes before serving:

Cut beef into thick steaks, remove all fat and sinew.Coat with fish sauce and leave at room temperature.

Snip herb leaves into cabbage mixture and combine well.

Heat a heavy frying pan or char-grill pan, when very hot add peanut oil and sear beef very briefly on all sides, when still rare remove to a plate and leave until cool.

Slice beef very thinly and reserve juices.

Arrange cabbage mixture on a flat serving plate, beef on top, peanuts scattered over beef, beef juices poured over.

hesian, Dec 31, 7:10am
Thanks - sounds nice and not too much work!

richard198, Dec 31, 9:14am
Beef Massaman
1.5kg blade or chuck steak (cut into 5cm chunks)
600ml coconut milk
6 black cardamom pods
10cm cinnamon stick
300g waxy new potatoes
8 shallots
1 quantity Thai mussaman curry paste
2 tbsp fish sauce
1 quantity Tamarind water
1 tbsp palm sugar
75g roasted peanuts
Handful of Thai sweet basil leaves (optional)
For the curry, put the beef into a heavy-based pan with 350ml of the coconut milk, an equal amount of water, and the black cardamom pods, cinnamon stick and 1 teaspoon salt. Bring slowly to simmering point, part-cover leaving just a small 1cm gap for the steam to escape, and leave to cook gently for 2 hours, stirring now and then at the beginning of cooking, until the beef is almost tender.
Meanwhile, peel the potatoes and cut into 2.5 v 2.5 v 1cm pieces (using a crinkleedged chip cutter if you wish). Peel the shallots and split them in half.
Uncover the curry and remove and discard the black cardamom pods and cinnamon stick. Stir in the rest of the coconut milk, the potatoes, shallots, curry paste, fish sauce, tamarind water and sugar and simmer gently, uncovered, for a further 25–30 minutes or until the potatoes, shallots and beef are tender. Stir in the peanuts, scatter over the basil if using and serve.

richard198, Jan 1, 9:14am
Beef Massaman
1.5kg blade or chuck steak (cubed or sliced)
600ml coconut milk
6 black cardamom pods (green will do)
10cm cinnamon stick
300g waxy new potatoes
8 shallots
1 quantity Thai mussaman curry paste
2 tbsp fish sauce
1 quantity Tamarind water
1 tbsp palm sugar
75g roasted peanuts
Handful of Thai sweet basil leaves (optional)
For the curry, put the beef into a heavy-based pan with 350ml of the coconut milk, an equal amount of water, and the black cardamom pods, cinnamon stick and 1 teaspoon salt. Bring slowly to simmering point, part-cover leaving just a small 1cm gap for the steam to escape, and leave to cook gently for 2 hours, stirring now and then at the beginning of cooking, until the beef is almost tender.
Meanwhile, peel the potatoes and cut into 2.5 v 2.5 v 1cm piecesPeel the shallots and split them in half.
Uncover the curry and remove and discard the black cardamom pods and cinnamon stick. Stir in the rest of the coconut milk, the potatoes, shallots, curry paste, fish sauce, tamarind water and sugar and simmer gently, uncovered, for a further 25–30 minutes or until the potatoes, shallots and beef are tender. Stir in the peanuts, scatter over the basil if using and serve.

(One of many variations!)