Every thing sticks in my scanpan commercial frypan

Page 2 / 3
bill241, Jan 6, 6:08am
Doesn't the stainless steel look kind of gross with a patina of oil all over it! I'm totally ignorant here because I've never seasoned a stainless steel pan in my life, we have never been taught to at school and don't do it at work or anything. I've got one lying around at home though, I might experiment

uli, Jan 6, 8:13am
My fry pan hasn't "patina all over it".

Cooks doesn't like me giving any advice - so there you go. Contrary to HER belief - I DO know how stainless pans work - but then mine are very expensive and extremely heavy WMF fry pans - which "she" most likely doesn't sell. Maybe there is the problem . I don't know really.

All I do is getting it really hot with very little coconut oil in it. Then cool it down and use a paper towel to remove any fat that is sitting on the top of the pan. After that your food will NEVER stick! IF you then do not go and wash it in the dish washer :)

However if you have one of those cheap Indian or Chinese stainless fry pans which have the double copper bottom "painted on" then it might not work.

bill241, Jan 6, 9:33am
No offence meant, I just imagined that if I could see the coating on my work ones it would be some kind of colour like a very pale yellow that would show up on a stainless steel one because the background would be light. But I'm not basing that on anything other than my imagination, lol

gerry64, Dec 28, 2:38am
I bought this expensive stainless frypan - followed the instructions when I first bought it - have had it a couple of months now and am ready to chuck it over the back fence - cooking on low gas even poached eggs manage to stick themselves to the bottom all its good for is boiling water!- what am I doing wrong! Any tips would be appreciated

angel404, Dec 28, 3:15am
I foked out and bought an stainless electric frying pan. LOVE IT. Wish id bought it sooner actually. Sorry not sure about the normal frying pans tho!

bunny51, Dec 28, 3:43am
Have you rubbrd oil round inside the pan! Only need about a tablespoon then spread it around with a handy towel or pastry brush

bill241, Dec 28, 3:46am
We use them at polytech cook school, stuff does stick to the bottom a bit, but you either keep it moving, keep a decent amount of oil/butter/fat whatever in there, or be quick about what you're doing so that it doesn't have time to sit and start sticking. We don't use non-stick stuff at work or at polytech so I have just gotten used to it. For pancakes and omelettes I use a proved frypan but they are iron, I believe.

gerry64, Dec 28, 3:51am
Have done the oil thing bunny - it is just so annoying was $160 - went looking for an omelette pan and the lady sold this to me as the best thing since sliced bread - left all my cast iron pans behind in NZ - what an idiot - thought I would get all new stuff
Havent seen a stainless electric pan - must have a look

marcs, Dec 28, 4:39am
I have bought a non stick scanpan and I am not happy with it either. I find it is not non stick at all. They come with 10 year warranty so you should be able to change it. I have to change mine. I am much more satisfied with the Analon brand of pots and pans. Way better than Scanpan.

gerry64, Dec 28, 5:05am
Good thinking marcs - I will contact scanpan and see how I get on -

griffo4, Dec 28, 5:28am
l have 2 scanpans one is a saute pan and the other a frying pan and they are both great but l always oil them when l have finished with them and l can simmer things in them for hours without any trouble
l only ever wash them under hot running water and no detergentsthen l put them back on the stove to dry and then put oil on them and leave it there to cool and put away

rainrain1, Dec 28, 5:29am
I had one a gave it away.I read somewhere to line the pan with baking paper, but haven't tried it, so I don't know how that would work

dreamers, Dec 28, 6:13am
Love myScanpans as nothing sticks to it ,hate my Le Crueset as everything sticks to it.

gerry64, Dec 28, 6:27am
My old scannpans were great it is just this new so called commercial top of the range one that is the problem - my scanpan saucepans I have had for years and are great - did jam in one yesterday and it finished up clean as a whitsle -

scrapper2, Dec 28, 7:03am
angel 404I have a stainless steel fry pan. I seasoned it before use, rub oil into each time I use it but whatever I cook in it sticks, would love to know if do you do anything different!

ace441, Dec 28, 10:12am
Gave my scanpan fry pan away - $299 ! Everything stuck to it - tried oil, non-stick spray - nothing worked.

gerry64, Dec 28, 11:08am
After the holidays are over and everybody gets back to work in customer service I am defintely going to contact Scanpan - I supposedly got mine for half price at a Meyer sale -never sure when they make these claims that it is actually half price but I still paid plenty for it and it is a dud!

cookessentials, Dec 28, 6:58pm
Scanpan is one product I wont stock, too many problems.

gerry64, Dec 28, 9:36pm
was hoping you would comment cookes -

pickles7, Dec 28, 10:08pm
You may need to turn the heat up before, adding oil. There is a knack to using stainless steel, over the coated pans. Once you have mastered them, you won't use anything else.
I bumped up a pot thread for you that was interesting.

cookessentials, Dec 28, 11:05pm
What is the base like on your pan!

angel404, Dec 29, 3:15am
I forked out and bought an stainless electric frying pan. LOVE IT. Wish id bought it sooner actually. Sorry not sure about the normal frying pans tho!

punkinthefirst, Dec 29, 3:36am
The range in a commercial kitchen is at a much hotter temperature than a domestic stove and food is moved around in a frying pan by shaking the pan, rather than prodding the food - so it cooks quickly without being broken up. You may have better results if you get your pan a bit hotter, and continually shake the pan. Cook the "presentation side" first, turn the food over, and continue to shake the pan over a hotter element than the one you're presently using.

gerry64, Dec 29, 4:17am
cookes here is the link to exactly my pan - it is the csx scanpan- has a sort of circular ridge pattern
http://www.everten.com.au/Scanpan-Cookware-CSX.html
I have used stainless pans before - had a lovely copper bottomed Polaris pan for years - left it behind in NZ -
I have tried hotter and colder punkin - when I look on some of the blog sites of suppliers of these pans -there are not any complimentary posts - maybe they just tried to get too clever with the manufacturing specs - as I have said have scanpan pots which I have had for maybe 15 years and love them
will try and find the other pot thread

richard198, Dec 29, 4:31am
Our Scanpan nonstick fying pan lost it's coating in the warranty period but Scanpan would not honour the warranty! (This was 15 years ago.)