How to cook bread while camping ? Electric frypan?

pink-dragon, May 1, 9:22am
Hi.I have just got into making bread - without a bread maker as it was having issues and just wondered if anyone had cooked bread while camping.I know you can use bbq for flat breads, naan and the like but was wondering if it is possible to use an electric frypan or similar.Thinking of Foccacia or Ciabatta style loaves.Any guidance appreciated

cookessentials, May 1, 6:46pm
A bit difficult to plug it in though! unless you have a cabin with electricity. You could always use a Dutch oven and do campfire style breads.
http://www.aussiecampovencook.com/campovenrecipes.htm

cookessentials, May 1, 6:54pm

buzzy110, May 1, 11:47pm
pink-dragon, there is a thread in here about baking bread using the slow cooker. You may like to check it out. I'll find it and bump it for you. I am assuming you have either a powered site or can use the campground kitchen facilities.

beaker59, May 2, 1:07am
I would love to have a go at a dutch oven one day, trouble is when I go camping nowdays its always ultralight long walk in stuff so carrying cast Iron doesn't get a look it.

4 days to duck shooting :)

pink-dragon, May 2, 10:23pm
Thanks for your help.Liked your link for no knead Focaccia cook essentials.The camping I am doing is not what you would call " real camping" and is actually not my preference.....but with kids and other friends involved compromises so often have to be accomodated!!!So yes we would have power thus my idea about the electric frypan as I would have that with me and thus decrease the number of appliances required.Will trial it ....just wondered if someone here had already given it a go.

marree, May 2, 10:37pm
Why not try 'damper' - very easy - can have plain, savoury & even sweet - no yeast required!A real yummy 'Outback Aussie' bread for the 'real camper'.

cookessentials, May 2, 10:40pm
You are welcome. I have found a link to Rewana bread in an electric frypan which may be a nice change.
http://www.kaitime.co.nz/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=150:paraoa-parai--rewena-bread&catid=50:desertsabreads&Itemid=67

marree, May 2, 10:46pm
Thanks cookessentials - just looked at those websites you've listed - will give it a go!

buzzy110, May 2, 11:47pm
pink-dragon, there is a thread in here about baking bread using the slow cooker. You may like to check it out. I'll find it and bump it for you. I am assuming you have either a powered site or can use the campground kitchen facilities.

beaker59, May 3, 1:07am
I would love to have a go at a dutch oven one day, trouble is when I go camping nowdays its always ultralight long walk in stuff so carrying cast Iron doesn't get a look it.

4 days to duck shooting :)

buzzy110, May 3, 1:57am
Another poster, who no longer posts in here, but keeps in touch with me has a Dutch oven. It is used in the oven to make bread. beaker, you could just experiment with it at home first and see how it comes out.

pink-dragon, May 3, 10:23pm
Thanks for your help.Liked your link for no knead Focaccia cook essentials.The camping I am doing is not what you would call " real camping" and is actually not my preference.but with kids and other friends involved compromises so often have to be accomodated!So yes we would have power thus my idea about the electric frypan as I would have that with me and thus decrease the number of appliances required.Will trial it .just wondered if someone here had already given it a go.

marree, May 3, 10:37pm
Why not try 'damper' - very easy - can have plain, savoury & even sweet - no yeast required!A real yummy 'Outback Aussie' bread for the 'real camper'.

cookessentials, May 3, 10:40pm
You are welcome. I have found a link to Rewana bread in an electric frypan which may be a nice change.
http://www.kaitime.co.nz/index.php!option=com_content&view=article&id=150:paraoa-parai--rewena-bread&catid=50:desertsabreads&Itemid=67

marree, May 3, 10:46pm
Thanks cookessentials - just looked at those websites you've listed - will give it a go!