The best non-stick frypan ?

nzldave, May 13, 6:48am
We bought an expensive European ceramic frypan a couple of years ago and expected it to last forever. It was great for a start but despite only using a non-metallic fish slice it's certainly no more non-stick. A friend swears by Tefal but I doubt he uses it that much. Any suggestions please ?

cookessentials, May 13, 7:54am
Infinite Circulon as used on Masterchef. Lifetime guarantee, can be used in oven, handle and all.

annie.nz, May 13, 7:52pm
I can only comment on nonstick or cast iron.

Depends how much you want to spend, really. My husband has been a non-stick frypan afficionado since we got our first one in 1976, and has tried all sorts, including some very expensive ones, but has concluded that they all - cheapies from the warehouse or eyewateringly expensive from the flash shop -last about the same length of time, give or take 6 months or so, and despite being cared for like a newborn baby's bottom.

We've currently got a couple of very nice, quite heavy nonstick Baccarat ones bought from Farmers during their 50% off cookware sales, and they seem to be lasting unusually well. They're certainly excellent value for money when you get them at sale price.

I've used Le Creuset cast iron frypans since about 1978, my first one lasted till 3 years ago before finally dying, and I replaced it when I saw one in Kirks sale. However my new one is dying fast - the pan is fine but the handle is on its last legs (wooden handle - I have arthritis and can't lift skillets). However cast iron or other metal is essential for high-heat cooking like steak, since nonstick surfaces give off carcinogenic fumes at searing heats.

Good luck

knowsley, May 13, 7:57pm
Second vote for Circulon. I have a set bought 13 years ago and while it doesn't look brand new, it isn't scratched or bubbling etc. I bought a set of the Infinity model a few years back, and they still look brand new. Avoid Scanpan - I have a saute pan and smaller roaster and both have bubbled, yet they are used no differently to the Circulon.

white_elephant, May 13, 8:02pm
My scanpan is still going well after 20 years and lots of use, it doesn't look too flash though.

player_smurf, May 13, 8:36pm
Where do you buy Circulon from pls?

cookessentials, May 13, 8:58pm
Most kitchen retailers sell them Just Google cookware retailers in new Zealand and you should get a number of them.
I must also comment in regards to the "cheapies" being the same as the dearer ones... . sadly this is not the case. We get a number of people now deciding to spend a little more on their cookware because they are sick and tired of constantly replacing them. Buy a good one and follow the non stick rules and you cant go wrong. if yu are not wanting a non stick, then seasoned cast iron, black steel or a good quality pan with an encapsulated base is the next best.

player_smurf, May 13, 9:09pm
Oh I see it comes from the USA so will purchase some when I go in a couple of months... can get the twinpack frypans for $29. 99, free shipping within the USA as well! Yippee! Adds to shopping list!

cookessentials, May 13, 9:12pm
That is VERY cheap as the twin pack here is $220 so definately get them - make sure it is the Infinite Circulon.

player_smurf, May 13, 9:17pm
Oops 11" skillet is $29. 99twinpack is $59. 99. Very cheap indeed.

player_smurf, May 13, 9:19pm
Gosh, we really do get 'ripped off' here in little ole NZ for good quality products!

cookessentials, May 13, 9:36pm
that is around $85 NZD on todays exchange rate. No, you are not getting "ripped off" player_smurf. You need to take into consideration the freight costs in getting it here! We buy items from the USA for our store and the freight can sometimes be more than the product itself, so this is where the prices come from. When I purchase items from the US, i try and buy a number of small items and CDU'S(Counter display units) with say 12 - 24 of one item in them, this way the freight costs can be divided amongst alot more items to lower the cost. The freight on pans would be astronomical because of size and weight issues. We had a quote for 1m cubed in a container for shipping and it was going to be NZD$1250 plus GST, now one metre cubed is not alot of space at all, so can you imagine the cost when it comes to large items? it's mind boggling.

player_smurf, May 13, 9:41pm
Yes freight is a killer... guess i am lucky with contacts in the USA and my other half spends a lot of time there on business as well;as well I get regular trips. I will definitely be bringing some Circulon home next time! The rate is great for shopping in USA right now.

wasgonna, May 13, 9:50pm
One thing with non-stick frypans, cheapies and others, let them go cold before washing. Most people will put some water in them to soak while still hot after cooking but they do not like it. This is the fastest killer of non-stick.

cookessentials, Apr 29, 7:42am
you will end up with a buckled pan if you add water to them while hot - and that can go for your Le Crueset too.