Electric Wok Versus Electric Frypan - Opinions

toadfish, Sep 9, 5:49pm
Moring lovely people.I want to incorporate more stir frys as my family just love them.But the combination of my non stick frypan on a ceramic hob is just not working for me.For a family of 4 you need alot of tossing space.
I was going to get an electric wok. and am happy to wait till they are on sale at Briscoes.
http://www.noelleeming.co.nz/shop/kitchen-laundry-appliances/small-appliances/frying-pans-woks/breville-bew300-electric-wok/prod48549.html But then I thought maybe a big electric frypan would be better and more versatile.
http://catalogues.briscoes.co.nz/Amazing_Spring_Sale/3182/Breville_Avance_Banquet_Frypan/289264

I had an electric frypan years and years ago but that wasn't very good as it worked with a thermostat so it reach a heat and swtiched off. not good for stir frys. Can you get one that is constant now!

The plan is to chop all vegies either the night before or in the morning. then throw it together when I get home.

Any thoughts and opinions would be welcome before I commit.

toadfish, Sep 9, 5:53pm
Found this in the Electric Frypan Instruction Book. so it seems it will work for Stir frys. would still welcome any "Pearls of wisdom"

Stir frying
Recommended Temperature Control Probe
setting ‘High Sear’.
An energy efficient and healthy way of
cooking foods. The benefit of this method
is its speed and flavour result. The cooking
action for stir frying is a continual stirring
motion to ensure the food is evenly exposed
to the heat and cooks quickly and evenly in a
couple of minutes.
Stir frying should be carried out using a ‘High
Sear’ setting.
Preheat your frypan before

cautis, Sep 9, 7:40pm
I have both, but wouldn't use my fry pan in place of a wok only cos you need to use the wok on high heat and the stir frys cook quickly.The electric fry pan heats up to the temp then turns off for a bit, then after losing a bit of heat, turns on again and continues like that until it has finished cooking.

Personally I wouldn't be without both, and sounds silly but I love them both lol.

I have that wok and got it for $80 on sale at Noel Leemings a couple of years ago, and I wouldn't get a non-stick fry pan, I'd go for a stainless steal one.

http://www.harveynorman.co.nz/sunbeam-ellise-stainless-banquet-frying-pan.html

Mines more rectangular than this and big enough that I can cook enough for four mince meals at a time (4 people per meal), some for freezing.Things like chicken or chops, I can cook two meals at a time.

sumstyle, Sep 9, 8:06pm
I have that Breville wok in your first link toadfish - won it on Wheel of Forrrrrrrrttttuuuuneeee.

Anyway.O my goodness, it has been great!The price though - crazy, and I have definitely seen if for under $100 on special so shop around.

fifie, Sep 9, 9:05pm
My pennies worth if you have a ceramic cooktop go for the wok. I did find with mine it was ok but couldn't get up to that high heat you need. Now i use a wok on gasjust brilliant. Tell Mr you want a new gas cook top, and you will be whipping up your S/Frys in no time lol .

jessie981, Sep 9, 10:04pm
x1
The Warehouse has good size electric Woks.

earthangel4, Sep 10, 2:06am
I have electric wok,and would not replace it with anything,I feel it is far better then my electric frying pan.

moggie57, Sep 10, 2:55am
Brevelle electric wok form briscoes.fantastic!

lindyloo8, Sep 10, 6:39am
i use my wok all the time not just stirfrys either its wonderful

kinna54, Sep 10, 7:44am
I have an electric wok,(won it in a raffle)luv it!, if buying one see if you cancan get one thatcan heat really hot. On the stove/hob I prefer the cast iron pan, hate an electric frypan for stir fy, it never seems to heat evenly enough.

beastie3, Sep 10, 7:56am
I would rather use a normal wok not electric. How are you gonna toss an electric wok! And yes they will be fine on a ceramic hob.as long as it is scorching hot! I use a wok for all sorts.smoking, steaming boiling.even good old mince & bolognaise.Its the wide-ness I like!

toadfish, Sep 10, 5:49pm
Moring lovely people.I want to incorporate more stir frys as my family just love them.But the combination of my non stick frypan on a ceramic hob is just not working for me.For a family of 4 you need alot of tossing space.
I was going to get an electric wok. and am happy to wait till they are on sale at Briscoes.
http://www.noelleeming.co.nz/shop/kitchen-laundry-appliances/small-appliances/frying-pans-woks/breville-bew300-electric-wok/prod48549.html But then I thought maybe a big electric frypan would be better and more versatile.
http://catalogues.briscoes.co.nz/Amazing_Spring_Sale/3182/Breville_Avance_Banquet_Frypan/289264

I had an electric frypan years and years ago but that wasn't very good as it worked with a thermostat so it reach a heat and swtiched off. not good for stir frys. Can you get one that is constant now!

The plan is to chop all vegies either the night before or in the morning. then throw it together when I get home.

Any thoughts and opinions would be welcome before I commit.

toadfish, Sep 10, 5:53pm
Found this in the Electric Frypan Instruction Book. so it seems it will work for Stir frys.

Also there seems to be 2 types of the "big" Frypans. So its Breville versus Sunbeam. Breville is on special this week.would still welcome any "Pearls of wisdom"

Stir frying
Recommended Temperature Control Probe
setting ‘High Sear’.
An energy efficient and healthy way of
cooking foods. The benefit of this method
is its speed and flavour result. The cooking
action for stir frying is a continual stirring
motion to ensure the food is evenly exposed
to the heat and cooks quickly and evenly in a
couple of minutes.
Stir frying should be carried out using a ‘High
Sear’ setting.
Preheat your frypan before

cautis, Sep 10, 7:40pm
I have both, but wouldn't use my fry pan in place of a wok only cos you need to use the wok on high heat and the stir frys cook quickly.The electric fry pan heats up to the temp then turns off for a bit, then after losing a bit of heat, turns on again and continues like that until it has finished cooking.

Personally I wouldn't be without both, and sounds silly but I love them both lol.

I have that wok and got it for $80 on sale at Noel Leemings a couple of years ago, and I wouldn't get a non-stick fry pan, I'd go for a stainless steal one.

http://www.harveynorman.co.nz/sunbeam-ellise-stainless-banquet-frying-pan.html

Mines more rectangular than this and big enough that I can cook enough for four mince meals at a time (4 people per meal), some for freezing.Things like chicken or chops, I can cook two meals at a time.

fifie, Sep 10, 9:05pm
My pennies worth if you have a ceramic cooktop go for the wok. I did find with mine it was ok but couldn't get up to that high heat you need. Now i use a wok on gasjust brilliant. Tell Mr you want a new gas cook top, and you will be whipping up your S/Frys in no time lol .