Who got new cookbooks for Christmas

Page 3 / 3
uli, Jan 4, 7:57pm
That is what I do:

Fry onions for 5 mins until softened. Stir in a few ground coriander seeds and some grated raw potato, then cook for 1 min. Add the grated carrots and some stock, bring to the boil, then reduce the heat. Cover and cook until the carrots and potatoes are tender.
Tip into food processor with the green coriander leaves, blitz until smooth. Return to pan, taste, add salt if necessary, then reheat to serve.

uli, Jan 4, 7:58pm

toadfish, Jan 5, 5:53am
From their facebook site - I brought cashews especially so I could try it.

CARROT & CORIANDER SOUP

From "The Revive Cafe Cookbook 1"

This may look like an unassuming soup but it is delicious. And great in winter when carrots are big and inexpensive!

INGREDIENTS
MAKES 8 X 1 CUP SERVES
2 onions roughly chopped
2 cloves garlic choppedor crushed
1 tablespoon rice bran oil
5 large carrots roughly chopped
½ teaspoon ground nutmeg
3 teaspoons ground coriander
1 teaspoon ground cumin
4 cups hot water
4 tablespoons date puree or honey
1 teaspoon salt
1 cup raw cashew nuts
1 cup cold water
2 carrots grated

METHOD
Cook onion, garlic and oil until clear (but not coloured).
Add carrots, nutmeg, coriander, cumin and water and simmer until carrots are soft (approximately 30 minutes ).
Add salt and date puree. Blend well with a stick blender.
Using a blender or stick blender in a separate container, blend cashews and cold water together. Add to carrot mixture.
Taste for sweetness and saltiness, modify if necessary.
Add grated carrot just before serving for texture.
If your carrots are fresh and clean you will not have to peel them. Save time and get a higher yield!

k1w1shena, Jan 5, 1:12pm
I was a recipe book junkie because they looked so pretty and impressive in the kitchen. Now I'm experimenting with a minimal space lifestyle and Google is the simply the best when it comes to finding new recipes, and forwarding you to the websites of culinary heroes such as Jamie Oliver, Cuisine Magazine etc.! Even better, there's no evidence to show that I'm not a fantastic cook in my own right, hahahahaha!

holly-rocks, Dec 27, 11:11pm
My Mum got hers signed also:)

kiwiscrapper1, Dec 27, 11:51pm
The new Annabel langbeins (which I bought myself from santa) and Ruth Pretty cooks at home, a little dissapointing as some are repeats from other books and her cooking school where you get all the recipes, so I suppose if I didnt go to the cooking school I wouldnt have the recipes duplicated :-)

pogram0, Dec 27, 11:58pm
Mmmmm. I got The Christmas Collection from the Australian Womens Weekly.I might never cook anything from it but it is 350 pages of drooling.Beautiful!

mwood, Dec 28, 8:09am
Nice !
"Charcuterie—a culinary specialty that originally referred to the creation of pork products such as salami, sausages, and prosciutto—is true food craftsmanship, the art of turning preserved food into items of beauty and taste. Today the term encompasses a vast range of preparations, most of which involve salting, cooking, smoking, and drying. In addition to providing classic recipes for sausages, terrines, and pâtés, Michael Ruhlman and Brian Polcyn expand the definition to include anything preserved or prepared ahead such as Mediterranean olive and vegetable rillettes, duck confit, and pickles and sauerkraut. Ruhlman, coauthor of The French Laundry Cookbook, and Polcyn, an expert charcuterie instructor at Schoolcraft College in Livonia, Michigan, present 125 recipes that are both intriguing to professionals and accessible to home cooks, including salted, airdried ham; Maryland crab, scallop, and saffron terrine; Da Bomb breakfast sausage; mortadella and soppressata; and even spicy smoked almonds. 50 line drawings"

carlosjackal, Dec 28, 9:29am
It's a great cookbook that one and so too are two of her other books: IT'S EASIER THAN YOU THINK and THE COOK SCHOOL RECIPES - her recipes are very easy to follow and all that I've tried are absolutely delicious!

carlosjackal, Dec 28, 9:30am
Ooooh wow! That sounds very tasty!

daisyhill, Dec 28, 11:19am
It wasn't exactly for Christmas but I got this New Covent Garden soup book very recently:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Soup-Every-Day-Favourite-Recipes/dp/0752227432/

There are some really interesting soup recipes in it and they are for all year round so there are lots that work well with what's in season right now. Of course the months are all wrong because it's aimed at northern hemisphere readers but the recipes work perfectly once I find the summer section! We had the carrot and kiwi fruit soup with dinner the other night and it was really delicious.

I'm not a big fan of vegetables so soup is a great way to get eat more of those and not resent it :-)