Trifle sponge

chasing, Dec 19, 6:25am
I am making ALL the desserts(4) for Christmas dinner and thought to help keep the cost down I would make the sponge for the trifle.Does anyone have a recipe please or do I just use a sponge cake recipe!

iman007, Dec 19, 6:36am
cheaper from supermarket petal

neon2k, Dec 19, 7:08am
buy the sponge. Spread raspberry on it. cut it into squares. Put in bowl. Pour on Sherry.
Make a velvet custard (worth the effort) but can buy custard if lazy!
Drain a tin of fruit. drink the juice and put the fruit on the sponge.
pour on the custard.
Grab a spoon and eat some.Pour on more Sherry. Fill hole and top of sponge with whipped cream.

asue, Dec 19, 7:19am
LOL - same recipe as me - especially the eating and drinking bit. Agree just buy a sponge

elliehen, Dec 19, 7:36am
Here's a recipe for a Never-Fail Sponge Cake - cheap, and easy to make.

BEST-EVER SPONGE

Assemble all ingredients
Have eggs at room temperature
Sift 1/2 cup cornflour, 2 teaspoons ordinary flour & 1 teaspoon baking powder
Line sponge roll pan with baking paper
Separate 3 eggs
Beat whites till soft peaks
Slowly add 1/2 cup caster sugar beating all the time
Add yolks and beat till rich mix
Stir in sifted dry ingredients

Pour into pan and whack firmly on the bottom (or drop onto the bench from about hand-length height)
Bake 180* for 15 minutes
Whack again on removing from oven
Sit for 5 to 10 minutes before removing

seniorbones, Dec 19, 7:58am
velvet custard! is there a recipe for this, I'm making desert too :-0).TIA

neon2k, Dec 19, 8:18am
1 tablespoon custard powder
2 teaspoons sugar
1 cup milk
1 egg, lightly beaten
In a saucepan, whisk all ingredients. Cook, stirring constantly (and they mean it) until mixture boils and thickens.Serves 4. We always double this as the kids just love the custard

gardie, Dec 19, 8:46am
I'd need to quadruple this at least for my lot.Last trifle, I used 2 x 1 litre ready made thick and creamy custard.Was the most expensive trifle I've ever made (each litre is $6+) but boy was it good.Gonna get some fresh cows milk to make the next one - that's good too.Might add in the egg (or two) - like the sound of it.

andrew499, Dec 19, 8:15pm
I make the three minute sponge from the Edmonds cookery book for a trifle sponge.Works well and is easy to make.

r.mascord, Dec 19, 10:07pm
I always use this recipe for the sponge cake for a trifle.

4 eggs separated
1 cupsugar
4 tbls cold water
1 cup flour
1 tsp baking powder

Separate the eggs, beat the sugar and egg yolk together until pale and creamy, add the 4 tbls water, mix then add sifted flour and baking powder and mix. Whisk the egg whites until the stiff peak stage and fold into the flour mixture. Pour into a greased lined baking tin and cook until top of cake springs back. 180 degrees for 20-25 mins depending on your oven.

I have used this sponge for a good old cake with cream and jam. Enjoy

chasing, Dec 19, 11:21pm
Thanksfor thetrifle sponge cake recipes they are appreciated. Just need to decide which one to make!

seniorbones, Dec 19, 11:53pm
Gosh where do you buy your custard from! my favourite is the swiss maid lovely and vanillary, the other in the yellow box, cant remember the brand, taste powdery to me. but swiss maid is $3.99 at the moment I usually use that for trifles, and also for xmas pud I just add 1/4 cup of brandy while heating it up.

gardie, Dec 20, 5:54am
You are talking about the standard custard.There is another thicker creamier custard on the market now both in 600ml and 1 l containers.it is very expensive but lovely for a treat.When I make my fresh cow's milk custard, I pop in some good vanilla essence to add to the flavour.

tinkagirl, Dec 20, 7:00am
Actually not lazy to buy custard.The thick vanilla custard you buy in the supermarket is better than any custard you can make yourself.It is creamy and smooth and just as cheap to buy with the cost of milk these days.

carolyn20, Dec 20, 7:54am
I'm having a go at making trifle this year also.Thinking about making the sponge component instead of buying but can I make it in advance - as in tomorrow!Would it keep okay until Xmas day and would I assemble the trifle Xmas eve or on the day!

gardie, Dec 20, 7:58am
I'd suggest chucking it in the freezer for a couple of days.The humidity at present isn't so good to sponges with mould possible.Will freeze perfectly and you can use it straight from the freezer without defrosting. (still easy to break up)