Uncooked Chocolate Pepperment Slice

Page 1 / 2
sheepey, Dec 8, 7:50am
Does anyone have a recipe for this please.Last week I tasted a slice made of this at my father-in-laws rest home and it was divine.The peppermint layer was just like the arnotts mint slice biscuits you buy.
The base was an uncooked chocolate fudge then it had a thin layer of the peppermint and I presume melted chocolate as the icing.

leonie11, Dec 8, 8:06am
. mm i would like it too

bill241, Dec 8, 8:41am
Its a long shot but does he live at Ross Home by any chance! I am the cook at Ross Home and I made a peppermint square last week. I can give you the recipe but the base is actually baked although it doesn't seem like it.

sheepey, Dec 8, 8:59am
Yes he does Graham Dobson in Dunrowan Unit - it was delicious, would you mind letting me have the recipe please.

bill241, Dec 8, 9:03am
Aww Mr Dobson! It was either me or the other cook, but I don't think the other cook puts chocolate icing on top. Was the peppermint layer minty green coloured! I'll get the recipe for you tomorrow, its at work.

sheepey, Dec 8, 9:03am
no it was white

sheepey, Dec 8, 9:05am
cool that would be great thanks.

bill241, Dec 8, 9:05am
Must have been the other cook then. I'll ask her for her recipe. I made it on Saturday from memory but mine definitely had green peppermint layer.

pup2, Dec 8, 9:08am
HUGE fan of peppermint slice. Would love it if you posted the recipe. Me and the kids like to make something each weekend :)

sheepey, Dec 8, 9:08am
thank you if you don't want to post on here maybe you could give Graham a written one - thanks heaps if your recipe is different maybe both would be good to try.

bill241, Dec 8, 9:12am
No, no, I'm quite happy to share it, its not my personal one or anything. I'm just intrigued as to whose it was that you tried because the other cook makes hers as a shortbread base, with no chocolate icing so its kind of mysterious as to where this slice came from, haha. It could have been some that someone brought in, like a volunteer or family member or something, of course.

bill241, Dec 8, 9:13am
I love it, so delicious.

sheepey, Dec 8, 9:15am
Oh I hope we can find who made it because it was nice.Might have to ask some of the staff on the ward maybe, lol.

bill241, Dec 8, 9:17am
Yes, do, as mine is a crunchy kind of base with weetbix in it, not a fudgey one, come to think of it, so maybe it wasn't from the kitchen at all. What day did you have it!

sheepey, Dec 8, 9:26am
the peppermint filling was very white like the photo

bill241, Dec 8, 9:28am
Oh yep, wasn't me then, as I made shortbread for the wards on Thursday. Our recipe is probably totally different to the one you tried. What are the odds that you'd find the Ross Home cook on here but that she wouldn't have been the one to make the slice! Crack-up!

sheepey, Dec 8, 9:29am
Yeah lol will have to make some more enquiries on the ward I think

bluetigerrr, Dec 8, 9:29am
This is such a wonderful thread . just LOVE it! Am waiting with nearly bated breath to see the recipe eventually :) Keep it going sheepey and bill241! God I miss New Zealand . when I kept on reading this I nearly cried.

sheepey, Dec 8, 9:35am
Here is the one I found online - photo I put on previous thread.I will try it if worst comes to it as it sounds nice also but don't think the one at the home had pepperment biscuits in it.

Makes
Ingredients
• 2 x 200g packets Mint Slice biscuits
• 75g butter, melted
• Filling
• 2 cups icing sugar mixture
• 50g copha
• 1/4 cup milk
• 1/2 teaspoon peppermint essence
• Topping
• 180g dark chocolate, chopped
• 25g butter
• 180g white chocolate, chopped
• Green food colouring

Method
1. Grease an 18cm x 28cm (base) slice pan. Line base and sides with baking paper, allowing 3cm overhang on all sides.
2. Process biscuits until finely chopped. Add butter. Process until just combined. Spread over base of prepared pan. Cover. Refrigerate for 30 minutes.
3. Make filling: Place icing sugar, copha and milk in a microwave-safe bowl. Microwave on medium (50%) for 2 to 3 minutes, stirring every minute with a metal spoon,

sheepey, Dec 8, 9:37am
continued
or until mixture is smooth and sugar has dissolved. Stir in essence. Using a spatula, spread mixture over prepared base. Refrigerate for 1 hour or until set.
4. Make topping: Place dark chocolate and butter in a microwave-safe bowl. Microwave on medium (50%) for 1 to 2 minutes, stirring every 30 seconds with a metal spoon, or until smooth. Set aside for 5 minutes to thicken. Place white chocolate in a microwave-safe bowl. Microwave on medium (50%) for 1 to 2 minutes, stirring every 30 seconds with a metal spoon, or until smooth. Transfer half the white chocolate to a bowl. Tint 1 portion white chocolate green with food colouring. Spread dark chocolate
mixture over filling. Spoon remaining white chocolate into a snap-lock bag. Snip off 1 corner. Pipe lines of chocolate, in a criss-cross pattern, over dark chocolate mixture. Repeat with green chocolate. Run a skewer through topping to create marbled effect.
5. Refrigerate for 4 hours or until set. Cut into squares. Serve.

bill241, Dec 8, 9:39am
I think the ones with copha/kremelta in the filling are really good, the cafe uses that kind of recipe. Maybe it was from the cafe at the home. I'll get that one too, just for good measure, haha.

sheepey, Dec 8, 9:45am
Great, thanks.

kinna54, Dec 9, 4:46am
I posted one on here just a little while ago.: made with crushed biccies base. Think it may have been a copy ofa jo seagar or annabelle White recipe; just trying to find it again on my computer. and can't for the life of me find the file. try searchit should come up.
Meanwhile I will keep looking and try to post.

bill241, Dec 9, 5:32am
I'm sorry.I forgot to write it down today but will try remember tomorrow. The cafe uses the same recipe I do, so the one you tried would have been from a volunteer or family member I'd say.

guardy, Dec 9, 8:18am
My recipe sounds very similar to the original request. It is DAMN good (if I may say so myself) and is super easy.I always use 'natural peppermint essence'.

Base
125 grams butter
3 T cocoa
1/2 cup castor sugar
1 egg
1 tsp vanilla ess.
1 cup coconut
2 cups wine biscuits crushed
Combinebutter, cocoa and castor sugar.Heat until dissolved. Add egg and vanilla ess. Mix in coconut and biscuits.Put into slice tray and chill.

Filling
1 1/2 cups Icing Sugar
30 grams kremelta
2 T milk
1/2 tsp peppermint essence
Heat together the Icing Sugar and Kremelta then add milk and peppermint ess.Chill

Topping
185 grams of darkchoc
30 grams of Kremelta
Melt together in the microwave and pour over the filling.Slice with a hot knife.YUMMO.It is wickedly rich so only needs to be cut into small pieces.

Will certainly be on our coffee tabel Christmas day!