Use of Glycerol in food !

cookie236, Nov 24, 2:36am
Hi, I want to make Jo Seagers recipe for fudge again which has glycerine in it, the other day I brought from a pharmacy " Glycerol BP 100% " . I went back and asked at the shop if it would be ok to use but they could not promise, even though the assistant even went on a website that said they were the same ingredient. Has anyone here used glycerol for cooking !

nfh1, Nov 24, 2:46am
I have a bottle of Glycerine here and the Ingredients Panels says 'Glycerol' on it.

cookie236, Nov 24, 2:49am
Oh ok nfh1, that is good news so far !

nfh1, Nov 24, 3:13am
I use it in Royal Icing - someone recommended to put a few drops in.

Icing was good by the way!

lynja, Dec 11, 3:14am
cookie236 did you make the fudge! I am also sitting here with a bottle of Glycerol BP 100% which i bought some while ago to make Jo Segars fudge and never got around to making. Like you I need to be 100% sure it is safe because the recipe calls for the whole 100ml bottle.

lodgelocum, Dec 11, 3:19am
My xmas cake recipe calls for a tablespoon of it.

lynja, Dec 11, 3:26am
did you use Glycerol BP 100% lodgelocum! I think i got mine at a chemist after searching everywhere for glycerine

buzzy110, Dec 11, 3:31am
http://chemicalland21.com/lifescience/foco/GLYCEROL.htm

Google is your friend. Try reading the above link. It is quite safe, apparently, until it reaches boiling point - 290C.

"It decomposesat boiling point and produce corrosive fumes of acrolein".

Glycerin/glycerine and glycerol appear to be all the same thing.

lodgelocum, Dec 11, 3:31am
Hi, I bought Medco Glycerine 100ml, and the ingredients is listed only as Glycerol ! presume the same stuff.It seems a bit strange putting it in a xmas cake, but was told it makes it last longer/moister!

lynja, Dec 11, 3:44am
x1
thank you all. will give it a go! Can only imagine the headlines.
FUDGE POISONS PARTY GOERS!

lodgelocum, Dec 11, 4:17am
Haha, yes, can just imagine, however I have been using it for years and don't think I have poisoned anyone yet!

beaker59, Dec 11, 7:53pm
x1
Its all good and the glycerine glycerol are the same thing allot safer than most additives you will see. Most now comes as a byproduct of biodiesel production so you are helping the planet too yay!