Low Carb Desserts

Page 2 / 3
elliehen, Nov 18, 10:26am
That sounds like a Jungian word association test:face - palm - tree - coconut.

kiwibubbles, Nov 18, 8:41pm
Pavlova is low carb isn't it! :D

bedazzledjewels, Nov 18, 9:13pm
With all that sugar! Think not.

elliehen, Nov 18, 9:28pm
A poster (apologies.forget the name) recently said she just leaves out the sugar completely and it works well.Doesn't add any artificial sweetener either.

vmax2, Nov 18, 9:58pm
Would the pav go crisp enough without sugar!

uli, Nov 19, 4:10am
If you leave out the sugar.
Simply leave out or substitute a small amount of stevia, a small amount!

bedazzledjewels, Nov 19, 10:11pm
Of course not! Lol!

elliehen, Nov 19, 10:36pm
And, not to overlook anyone, this is for the triple and quadruple headbangers so that they can do it safely next time.

http://www.youtube.com/watch!v=dnUhvjuaZqc

buzzy110, Nov 20, 1:13am
Just to add some balance, the high carb content of grains, starchy foods, sweet fruits and low fat foods can cause more and frequent episodes of hunger, leading to the same effect on calorie balance, making it difficult for people to lose weight. I'm pretty sure that over eating, no matter what is being consumed, will make it difficult for people to lose weight and make them more susceptible to syndrome X.

southerngurl, Nov 20, 2:22am
how does all this head banging have anything to do with desserts. back to the point people!

elliehen, Nov 20, 2:29am
The point is long gone.dealt to, answered, thank you given.That's when a thread takes on a life of its own.

southerngurl, do you have a Low Carb dessert to post!There's always room for one more.

visionspring, Nov 20, 3:03am
Can't beat a bowl of chopped berries, drizzled with coconut cream and then finish off with a sprinkling of coconut threads and chopped nuts. Also try spices like Cinnamon on top.

southerngurl, Nov 20, 5:18am
I make a nom-nom ambrosia.
Dunno bout low carb but here goes:
1 of the tubs of low sugar yoghert, either a fruit or a greek.
1/4 blocks of dark choc
1/2 cup each of chopped kiwifruit, mandarins, banana slices.
1 tin of fruit salad in low sugar juice.
and 1 pkt of mini birds nests (thats the norty bit)

Put yoghert in big bowl, cut fruit to bite sizes pieces, smash 1/2 of choc into bits, and grate the other half, smash birds nests and add fruit salad w/out juice.
Tada.
not traditional, as i can't have cream anddont like marshmellows. but its a bit diff.

knowsley, Nov 20, 8:34am
You've changed your tune from your earlier posts. Good to see you finally realise an excess of calories are the cause of weight gain. Maybe you could help educate other low carbers.

prawn_whiskas, Nov 20, 7:38pm
Will not work - at all. Chemistry 101 I am afraid,no sugar = no structure for the actual crust and crystallization to occur.Please do try it your self to confirm however as seeing is believing.

ferita, Nov 20, 7:40pm
exactly

ferita, Nov 20, 7:41pm
There is more head banging in this thread then a metalica concert

bedazzledjewels, Nov 20, 7:59pm
Thanks for that PW.
I had a feeling there was a reason for the sugar other than just sweetness. Also it seems difficult to get a decent meringue using sweeteners instead.

prawn_whiskas, Nov 20, 8:14pm
Xylitol and Erythritol work as they chemically behave like sugar (Erythritol will even caramelise but neither will glass - so not good for Candy making).You do have to powder both however to speed up the dissolving process in the egg white (same goes for making marshmallow)as both take about twice as long as sugar to dissolve down.

bedazzledjewels, Nov 20, 8:44pm
Think I'll keep with berries and coconut cream!

elliehen, Nov 20, 8:57pm
Two people seem to think it works.

buzzy110, Nov 20, 9:00pm
Lol. You really need to alter your viewpoint. Low carb, by default, allows a person to be fully sated, never hungry and still lose weight. Therefore, by your constant reiteration that one needs to eat fewer calories, low carb people do not need education because they are eating fewer calories.

It is you who needs to alter your perspective. We do not concentrate on calories because we do not eat enough to make us fat. Take another look at posts 11 and 13 if you want to truly understand.

prawn_whiskas, Nov 20, 9:03pm
Please do try it elliehen so you can see that it does not.The Egg white will semi dry on the outside and set on the inside but it is more of an egg puff that will deflate once cooled, it is no where close to a meringue or pav of any description.Texturally and structurally they are worlds apart.

elliehen, Nov 20, 9:10pm
I like my pav with sugar, so I'll leave it to those who really need or want to try the alternative.

It sounds as though you've experimented already yourself!

prawn_whiskas, Nov 20, 9:17pm
That was my point, you need to try it before you will believe it does not work.But that's up to you.

Yes I have experimented greatly with all sorts, I'm a techno cook, experimenting is the joy of it. (probably why I loved science in school)