Diabetic desserts. Stevia or Splenda ?

jenny791, Nov 20, 8:36pm
Can anyone advise which is the nicest to use please? Don't want bitter aftertaste.

lythande1, Nov 20, 10:26pm
Skip dessert.

uli, Nov 21, 12:48am
They both have a funny after taste if you use enough to make it as sweet as sugar.
So yes if you can, just leave the dessert out - if you use dates etc for sweetening instead of sugar as some recipes suggest you still add a lot of carbs to your dish which diabetics should not have in huge amounts.
It is a hard one to solve if you are keen on sweet desserts.

valentino, Nov 21, 1:03am
To me, another word for dessert is Sweet.

I too have to be vary concerned re sweets or desserts but still will have the odd ones regardless what is used but the lesser the evil the better then it is for me.

My advice is to seek out some desserts that can fit this bill and stay with it.

A wee bit does not harm you if it is controlled where sugar, splendour etc is cut out from other areas.
Stevia is a super food item but is quite expensive still to use but is far superior, I grow my own now.

Oh, My desserts include a few that has egg whites in them but not full on like pavlovas but some that still uses the yolks separately, helps with the sweet taste believe it or not, jus a wee hint for you.

And I test myself with a Glucose Count gadget and learn from it re desserts that are okay.

Cheers.

buzzy110, Nov 21, 1:06am
Why not provide a nice cheese platter with nuts instead? I eat cheese without crackers all the time. But if you feel that something else is required to eat with the cheese, a few apple slices might be OK.

cgvl, Nov 21, 1:38am
I don't use Stevia or any artificial sweetener as I can't stand the bitter after taste. I do use half the amount of sugar in a dessert and then just have a small amount. I have made individual Pav's without using sugar or sweetener and they are okay. the last big one I made I used half the amount of sugar the only thing I found with that one was it didn't have a crisp outside shell.
I don't add anything to custards if made with custard powder, but it is an acquired taste. I use regular jelly and just have less ie 1Tbsp instead of 2 or 3.
Otherwise fresh fruit and cheese is great.

jenny791, Nov 21, 2:22am
Thanks everyone.
Like the idea of cheese instead of dessert , but the one I am making a dessert for has challenged me to come up with a cheesecake that is gluten and sugar free. i made a base out of almond meal, with a boysenberry swirl filling and used splenda powder. It tastes okay.

timturtle, Nov 22, 5:36am
Most recipes I have seen use both apparently it cuts down on the cooling affect by cooling I think they mean odd taste

autumnwinds, Nov 22, 9:51am
sorry, haven'r been around much lately - this one would have possibly suited the bill. Rice or similar syrups use less, and have less issues.

This is a vegan uncooled one, makes 4 - 5

NO BAKE VEGAN CHEESECAKE JARS/GLASSES
March 17, 2017 by Ania - gluten-free serves: 4-5 portions prep: 30 min cooking: 8 min
INGREDIENTS
DATE CARAMEL
• 240 g / 1½ cups dried dates, pitted and soaked in boiling water
• pinch of salt, to taste
• 1-2 Tablespoon strong espresso (optional)
GINGER CHEESECAKE LAYER
• 225 g / 1½ cups raw cashews (soaked overnight)
• 120 ml / ½ cup coconut cream (from a tin of full fat coconut milk)
• 6 Tablespoon lime or lemon juice, adjust to taste
• approx. 2½ tbsp finely grated ginger, adjust to taste
• 1 Tablespoon maple syrup
ALMOND BRITTLE*
• ½ cup almond flakes (around 75 gm)
• 2 Tablespoon maple syrup
• fine sea salt
• 2 teaspoon olive oil (optional, SEE INSTRUCTIONS)
• a pinch of ground cinnamon or ginger, for serving (optional)
METHOD
DATE CARAMEL

Drain the dates and place them in a food processor. Process until smooth and creamy. Add a trickle of coffee or water to help the mixture to process and season with a touch of salt to taste. Set aside.
CHEESECAKE LAYER
Rinse the cashews and chop them roughly. If you own a very powerful blender this step may be completely redundant, but with my low range (and fairly old) blender this is the only way I can achieve smooth consistency without adding too much liquid.

Divide the chopped cashews into roughly six portions. Chuck one sixth of the chopped cashews into a blender with all of the coconut cream, half of the lime juice and maple syrup. Process until super smooth.

Once smooth, add another sixth of the chopped cashews. Process until smooth and repeat until you’ve used up all of the cashews. Towards the end, the mixture will become very thick and heavy and your blender may struggle to turn. To remedy this, start making circles on the surface of your mixture (in the direction of the turning blades) with a spatula to prevent air pockets forming under the mixture’s surface.

Be careful not to dip the spatula in too deep as you don’t want to accidentally touch the turning blades. If you follow the technique I’ve described above, there should be enough moisture in this recipe (from coconut cream, lime juice and maple syrup if using) not to have to use any water, which means you’ll end up with a smooth and creamy cheesecake mixture.

Adjust the amount of lime juice to taste and season the mixture with freshly grated ginger. I like a strong taste of ginger so I used a lot of it, but I recommended you adjust the amount to your taste. At this point the mixture should be quite tangy and gingery – a flavour which will mesh really well with the other two sweet components – date caramel and almond brittle.
. cont. -

autumnwinds, Nov 22, 9:53am
cont.
ALMOND BRITTLE*
Heat up the oven to 175° C / 350° F and line a baking tray with a piece of baking paper.

Put ½ cup of almond flakes in the middle of the tray and pour 2 tbsp of maple syrup and optionally 2 tsp of olive oil (I found that olive oil renders the brittle a little crunchier) over the almond flakes and quickly mix the two liquids into the flakes. Season with a little bit of sea salt and spread the mixture in a single layer on the baking tray.

Pop the mixture into the oven and bake for about 8-10 minutes. The edges will brown sooner then the middle (that’s normal) so you want to remove the brittle from the oven when the edges are lightly browned but not burnt. Take out of the oven and allow it to cool and crisp up.
ASSEMBLY
Place date caramel at the bottom of each glass (I divided the mixture between 5 small glasses). Top up with the cheesecake layer and pop in the fridge for about 2-3 hours for the cheesecake layer to firm up.

Top with shards of almond brittle or almond flakes (for raw version) and a dusting of cinnamon or ground ginger just before serving.
NOTES
*If you want to keep this dessert 100% raw, skip this step and garnish the dessert with a small amount (1-2 tsp) of maple syrup and some untoasted almond flakes.

Can't remember where I found this, but have made it several times for GF friends, and love the base and texture of filling. I usually serve a few berries as well.

punkinthefirst, Nov 22, 10:20am
I decided to cut down on sugar a while ago. I bought some stevia powder, but it is really expensive, so haven't used it much. I've been experimenting with the QUEEN brand of maple flavoured syrup (no sugar, 18 calories per 35 ml serving), and also good old THRIFTEE cordial in lemon flavour. The other flavours have a bitter aftertaste. You could substitute either, to taste, in a cheesecake, but you'd still have to be careful about fats, wouldn't you? If you do, you'd have to look for a ricotta-based cheesecake, and work from there.

southerngurl, Nov 23, 6:05am
As a Diabetic, I'd rather if a friend of mine used Sugar and just told me about it so I could Bolus for it. sweetners and replacements are blergh

buzzy110, Nov 23, 9:35pm
This sounds like commonsense to me. I agree, sweeteners are blergh. I am low carb and even I prefer that sugar is used in desserts rather than sweeteners.

jenny791, Nov 30, 4:10pm
Thanks autumnwinds for that fabulous recipe.
I'm not diabetic, but it looks so good, i'm going to make it.
Thanks to everyone for your advice