Desserts suitable for a diabetic

neville26, Dec 13, 10:04am
Elderly Grandad is just been told he is diabetic. They are still trying to get it sorted. I'm doing the desserts for xmas dinner and he does love his desserts! I don't want him to miss out - any ideas on what I could do? He does love his Christmas pud and custard but I'm guessing that might be a bit rich.

baalamb, Dec 13, 10:40pm
I always make custard using trim milk and sweeten it with liquid sweetener. Tastewise its just as nice as 'normal' stuff.

lythande1, Dec 13, 11:12pm
Desserts are what led to it in the first place.
Plain fruit and cream will do. no sugar other than the fructose in that.

cgvl, Dec 14, 12:18am
You can make custard without sugar and /or artificial sweeteners. Sure the first mouthful tastes bland/powdery but the second and subsequent are fine.
The Christmas pud just give him a slither ie a lot less than he would normally get.
Is he on insulin or just been told to watch his diet and given pills?
It can make a difference.

punkinthefirst, Dec 14, 12:20am
A small helping with a light, low-sugar custard, served as part of a balanced meal would probably not be out of the question. Think outside of the square - make a healthy Christmas pudding with apple, grated carrot, reduced fat spread and a minimal amount of sugar in it
Try this one;-
http://www.healthyfood.co.nz/recipes/2008/december/coffee-cup-christmas-puddings

cgvl, Dec 14, 12:22am
You can buy diabetic jellies and use fresh fruit rather than canned.
Also depending 80%+ chocolate is ok but just a square or two.
Trying to think what we are having that would be ok as I tend to have whatever is available regardless of sugar/carb content but just have a small serving and I mean small.

punkinthefirst, Dec 14, 12:39am
And don't forget the no-sugar added canned fruits. You still have the natural fruit sugars to deal with, so they can't be eaten ad-lib. and sugar is not the only thing that needs to be watched. I think for most diabetics, the rule is "BALANCE". A treat is just that - a treat - eaten on rare occasions

neville26, Dec 14, 1:56am
Thanks people.

uli, Dec 14, 2:41am
" reduced fat spread" - why?
There is no insulin response to fat or protein - only to carbs (custard powder and sugar).

punkinthefirst, Dec 14, 6:01am
I was thinking of the general weight-gain, rather than insulin response. Every little bit counts. A "taste" of Christmas Pudding might mean the gentleman in question doesn't feel deprived. Oh, and custard can be made with eggs, remember?
Believe me, I like butter as much as the next person. (I used to be a dairy farmer, once). Did you look at the recipe?

awoftam, Dec 14, 6:10am
You have made an assumption Grandad is Type 2.

awoftam, Dec 14, 6:13am
I did. Not good for a diabetic. The sugar in the dates alone is high; let alone the dried fruit, candied fruit peel, fruit mince and brown sugar the recipe calls for! Hell, liver went into overdrive just reading it lol. Xmas is special and nothing wrong with having some treats but to call that recipe 'healthy' as the website has done is just bollocks.

joybells2, Dec 16, 7:51pm
Presume he is type 2 at that age if just diagnosed. A treat for one day is not going to worry him too much, have been told that older people are expected to maintain higher levels than younger people.

tjmc, Dec 16, 8:35pm
As a diabetic, and low carb recipe book author I can tell you that this time of year can be tricky, however with a little know how it can be done.

Custard made with eggs and a milk/cream mixture with vanilla and natvia is lovely, and you don't feel like you've missed out. If you make the powedered stuff, regardless of the sugar substitute it will still affect his blood sugars.

A very thin slice of Xmas cake will give flavour, however it needs to be no more than the thickness of a $2 coin, and no icing. A better idea is to have him nibble on some cheese and nuts instead.

Anything with fructose (i.e. fruit) wheat flour, or potatoes will cause a spike and subsequent crash. Increasing his insulin/metformin or glipizide to cope is a risky move, and can go horribly wrong very quickly.

cgvl, Apr 5, 10:02am
So what advice would you give a diabetic who can not tolerate any form of artificial or so called natural sweeteners. ie natvia, stevia and the others. By tolerate I mean they all leave a horrible after taste that absolutely nothing removes and can last between 24 and 48 hours.