Low Carb Desserts

Page 1 / 3
yodagirl, Jan 15, 9:21am
Hi I am new to the low carb lifestyle.Can you tell me if the raw low GI sugar is a good substitute for sugar in baking etc!I dont have sugar on drinks or anything else except baking really.Thanks

davidt4, Jan 15, 8:59pm
If you are serious about eating low carb you will have to cut out sugar of all kinds, and honey and other sweeteners.A low GI is irrelevant.There are ways of baking with artificial sweeteners, but in my opinion the disadvantages far outweigh the benefits.

The simplest approach is to remove baked goods from your diet completely, includingbread; this will reduce your carb intake hugely.

accroul, Jan 15, 11:50pm
Beat 1large tablespoon of original cream cheese with 1/4 cup cream. When thickened, beat in 1/2tsp vanilla ess & desired flavour like like to add cocoa or crushed strawberries (when in season) & sweetner 'to taste'.
Not an everyday dessert!

buzzy110, Jan 16, 8:40am
As davidt4 said, the low GI means nothing. In order for you to decide if you want to eat the low GI sugar, you will have to read the label and see how many carbs are in it. You can then make up your own mind.

The "low GI" selling point might not be as fantastic as it seems. I think it has a GI rating of 50, whilst ordinary, white table sugar has a GI of, I think, 63. Palm sugar has a much lower GI rating, coming in at 35 but the GI rating is irrelevant in low carb. The carbs are the important thing.

Baking should be saved for very special occasions.

ks1968, Nov 16, 8:52pm
Does anyone have any good recipes for Low Carb or Low GI Desserts please

bedazzledjewels, Nov 16, 9:59pm
Google Oeufs Meulemeester and it'll take you to a NZ website with a black background. There are lc desserts there, acessible from the homepage.

uli, Nov 16, 9:59pm
Greek Yoghurt and berries

or

whipped cream and berries

ks1968, Nov 16, 10:19pm
Thanks for your hints

bedazzledjewels, Nov 16, 10:28pm
Uli's suggestion is damn good too! Hard to go past berries at this time of the year.
If you're cutting out dairy too, you can use coconut cream.

davidt4, Nov 17, 12:17am
Raspberry Possets
serves 4
• 500ml cream
• 35g pale palm sugar (or equivalent in Splenda or Stevia)
• 180g raspberries (frozen are fine)

• Take raspberries out of the freezer, select 12 good looking ones and set aside for decoration. Leave out to start thawing while you prepare the cream.
• In a small pan over low heat bring the cream and sugar to a simmer, stir to dissolve, raise heat to medium and bubble for about 4 minutes, stirring often. Turn off heat.
• Add the partly thawed raspberries (not the ones set aside for decoration) and stir vigorously to thaw and break up without them getting too hot.
• Pass through a sieve into a jug, pressing hard on the pulp to extract all of the raspberry juice without the seeds.
• Pour into four small ramekins or martini glasses and refrigerate for at least an hour to set.
• Decorate with the rest of the raspberries, refrigerate up to 24 hours.
• Serve cold.
Note
• The quantity seems quite small, but is just right for four servings. The posset is very rich.
• It is not essential to use palm sugar, but it does have a lovely fruity flavour which complements the raspberries. It also has a low GI if you are concerned about that.
• Carbs per serving approx 14.7g, 8.5g of which is in the sugar.

ldbaqbeak, Nov 17, 12:22am
coconut cream is really high in saturated fat, so if you are trying to lose weight don't go there.

bedazzledjewels, Nov 17, 12:25am
Head - bang - desk.

ks1968, Nov 17, 12:33am
Thanks sounds devine going to try this for sure!

davidt4, Nov 17, 12:42am
Double head - bang - desk .

vmax2, Nov 17, 12:50am
Well that's funny I eat tons of saturated fat and lost tons of weight.

buzzy110, Nov 17, 1:10am
Triple head - bang -desk

malcovy, Nov 17, 2:53am
It really is not true about that.I eat low carb and lots of natural fat and have dropped 2 dress sizes down to size 12.
I have made a delicious pretend tiramisu using oopsie rolls which I added 2 tbspns freshly ground raw almonds and stevia to the oopsie rolls, some boyensberries and whipped cream when I put it altogether.I could say I left it for a few hours before eating but I didn't.Oopsie rolls are very easy to find on google.
I added the almonds and stevia to the raw oopsie mixture before baking.

uli, Nov 17, 7:23am
Not sure if a quadruple "head - bang - desk" changes anything to poster #7's idea that saturated fat is not good for weight loss . BUT here we go - bang!

knowsley, Nov 17, 7:30am
All the smug cows on here. ldbaqbeak isn't entirely incorrect - the high fat content of coconut cream can easily upset the calorie balance and make it difficult for people to lose weight.

elliehen, Nov 17, 9:07am
Take care, all self-confessed headbangers:

"In 2005, Terry Balsamo, Evanescence guitarist, incurred a stroke from headbanging.There have also been cases of people incurring whiplash from headbanging such as Craig Jones of Slipknot and it is common to experience headaches and stiff or sore necks as a result of headbanging."

elliehen, Nov 17, 10:22am
OUCH!

Edited to add another OUCH!

elliehen, Nov 17, 10:38am
This link might be useful:

http://www.lowcarbnz.co.nz/Recipes/

ks1968, Nov 18, 5:58am
Excellent Link.Thanks so Much!

cloudberry, Nov 18, 10:13am
Face - palm (doesn't hurt like headbanging does)

elliehen, Nov 18, 10:22am
OUCH!

Edited to add.better all join Headbangers Anonymous ;)