What's the best potato salad you have ever had!

Page 2 / 3
ummok, Oct 3, 2:03am
I hate potato salad but i love the basic one which is just a litre of cream 6 chopped med size potatoes and one or two packets of maggi cream of chicken soup mix it chuck it in oven and bake.it tastes great hot or cold and perfect with steak or ham.yummy

tarshlove, Nov 9, 10:29pm
I'm looking for one to convince my bf that it is yummy,
I made one the other night with potato, bacon, kumara and best foods mayo. He didn't like it lol

So here's you chance to help me convince him. TYIA

mattdylan, Nov 9, 10:35pm
wow who wouldn't like that - best food mayo makes everything taste good! All i can offer is adding some spring onion, taking out the kumera and adding mint and hardboiled eggs !

uli, Nov 9, 10:36pm
Mine of course :)

German type potato salad made from small waxy type potatoes, steamed, peeled and sliced finely then tossed with hot stock and let steep in it so the spuds soak up the stock, after 15 minutes add oil, vinegar, mustard, salt and pepper and chopped onions. Let sit for about 30 minutes to an hour and serve.

uli, Nov 9, 10:38pm
You can vary the original by adding thinly sliced cucumber, some Northern German people use gherkins instead (most likely they didn't have cucumber up there for very long in the season). Some more eastern people use fried bacon in the salad . and some others add chopped boiled eggs.

sarahb5, Nov 9, 11:06pm
My own - slightly warm potatoes still in their skins with caramelised red onion, sundried tomato, crispy bacon, anchovies, balsamic vinegar and extra virgin olive oil .I don't like potato salads made with mayo or similar type dressings.

suie1, Nov 9, 11:13pm
One made with Highlander Mayonnaise

twindizzy, Nov 9, 11:13pm
Add ham off the bone and spring onions too!

suie1, Nov 9, 11:13pm
I agree with the mint & guys usually love eggs in salads!

sarahb5, Nov 10, 12:24am
None of the guys in my house do .

mouse_y, Nov 10, 5:59am
crispy bacon, chives, gherkins/capers,peas .

whitehead., Nov 10, 9:30am
egg dressing with chopped up fennel in it .you pick the fennel from the side of the road its that dark green fluffy stuff you see and using just the leaves chop finely and add about a tea spoon to your dressing .ive never had anyone say they dont like it but dont use too much its strong tasteing

sooseque, Nov 10, 9:34am
Not all that quick to make but worth the effort, sorry about the capitals but that is how I have it saved.
Potato Salad
3 LARGISH NEW POTATOES
3 BOILED EGGS
1 SMALL ONION FINELY CHOPPED
2TBLSP PARSLEY CHOPPED
½ tsp SALT
PEPPER
PAPRIKA
COOK SCRUBBED POTATOES UNTIL JUST TENDER, DRAIN AND COOL, CUT INTO CUBES, PLACE IN BOWL AND ADD TWO OF THE HARD BOILED EGGS CHOPPED, THE ONION AND HALF THE PARSLEY, SALT AND PEPPER.

DRESSING:
¼ CUP SUGAR
2 tsp CORNFLOUR
½ tsp PREPARED MUSTARD
¼ tsp SALT
1/3 CUP WATER
2 TBLSP WHITE VINEGAR
1 EGG LIGHTLY BEATEN
½ CUP MAYONNAISE
COMBINE SUGAR, CORNFLOUR, MUSTARD, SALT, WATER, VINEGAR AND EGG IN POT, COOK STIRRING UNTIL THICK AND BUBBLY, POUR INTO BOWL AND COVER WITH GLADWRAP AND COOL.STIR MAYONNAISE INTO COOLED MIXTURE AND CHILL
ADD THE DRESSING MIXTURE TO THE POTATO EGG MIX AND GENTLY TOSS.MINCE THE ONE REMAINING BOILED EGG AND MIX WITH PARSLEY AND SPRINKLE ON TOP OF SALAD, SPRINKLY WITH PAPRIKA.CHILL AND SERVE

gardie, Nov 10, 5:21pm
Baby potatoes steamed till tender then chopped lightly, spring onions, parsley (all from the garden) and then homemade mayo stirred through while its still quite warm (but not hot) and then served at room temperature.Yum.Can't wait till my potatoes are ready.

wheelz, Nov 10, 7:31pm
I always use half mayo and half sour cream in the dressing.

pickles7, Nov 10, 9:30pm
I like to dress mine similar to .wheelz.cook potatoes, dice them, chopped onion, gherkins, chili, salt pepper. Chill, loosen with milk if need be, or the liquid from the gherkins.

shop-a-holic, Nov 10, 9:38pm
I use canned potatoes. Already cooked, peeled, uniform, cold, convenient, delicious, waxy, consistent and great for photo shoots. :-)

sarahb5, Nov 10, 9:56pm
And taste nothing like actual real freshly cooked potatoes *bleurk*

duckmoon, Nov 10, 10:04pm
Hubby worked with a German woman. Gerkins are her secret. I turned into a potato salad lover, thanks to gabi.

Also, mix the mayo with some milk.to thin it down. I don't like the mayo too thick

uli, Nov 11, 1:35am
I mix the mayo (if I use it) with vinegar :)

cottagerose, Nov 11, 1:55am
Me too, with a little curry powder,raw onion,eggs and potatoes and friends and family always ask me to make it when we are invited to bbqs

bk02, Nov 13, 8:57pm
Cut and boil potatoes until cooked.Drain then put back on warm stove top and pour in some cream and maggies onion soup mix.Wait for the cream to have thickened and serve warm.Yummi but oohhh so naughty.

elliehen, Nov 14, 2:27am
I like celery in mine for a bit of crunchy texture.

elliehen, Nov 15, 2:27am
I like celery in mine for a bit of crunchy texture.

Edited to add:I would leave the kumara out of a potato salad and make a different kind of salad with it.Kumara is sweet and goes well with oranges and spinach in a salad.

uli, Dec 8, 7:49am
bump for kellz