To those that think cooking from scratch is expens

Page 2 / 2
motorbo, Nov 19, 5:17am
i rarely throw any food out i plan around what needs using any leftovers are lunch the next day or dinner or fdrozen for a quick meal another day

uli, Nov 19, 5:25am
9 out of 10 invitations I got was the "plate it and eat" variety and the other one was "help yourself". So your parents were very much against the "trend" by the looks.

I love left-overs. Makes cooking so easy :)

uli, Nov 19, 5:27am
And fifie - I do hope you were not "bought" but "brought up" :)
Sorry - couldn't resist on re-reading your post. :)

davidt4, Nov 19, 5:43am
I was brought up with food plated in the kitchen by my mother (apart from salads) and she always served me what she thought I should eat rather than what I wanted.I must have spent months of my early life sitting at the table staring miserably at congealed food.I can't remember what happened to the leftovers, but I do remember little saucers of peas and carrots always in the fridge.

elliehen, Nov 19, 5:55am
But perhaps as a little girl you might have helped yourself to nothing but potato and meat and gravy and left all the green and yellow things in the serving dishes!

davidt4, Nov 19, 6:06am
Not at all.It was the grey overcooked hogget that I couldn't stomach.Also the grey overcooked undrained silver beet.

elliehen, Nov 19, 6:15am
This must mean that you did not inherit your cooking skill from your mother ;)

davidt4, Nov 19, 6:20am
My maternal grandmother was a wonderful cook.

elliehen, Nov 19, 6:40am
I hope she was around long enough to appreciate her granddaughter's triumphs over her daughter's culinary disasters.

davidt4, Nov 19, 9:10am
Sadly no.She died when I was 14.

kaddiew, Nov 19, 10:19am
I was brought up the same way - and have not-so-fond memories of being the last one still at the table, retching as I'm trying to force down the cold congealed leeks in white sauce.To this day the mere mention of leeks makes me shudder.

elliehen, Nov 19, 10:31am
I was fortunate to suffer no similar torture, although we always had to try something new before being allowed to reject it.The only thing I have strong memories of disliking is tripe, but I learnt recently of a Tripe Club in Sydney:

"The Tripe Club is a group of tripe lovers and their guests who meet for lunch several times a year to enjoy the delicacies and nuances of well prepared tripe dishes. There are over 200 members of the club who are typically business people. Attendances for lunch range from 60 to 100. Lately, the attendances have been at the upper end of that range."

http://www.tripesite.com.au/club.html

kuaka, Nov 19, 10:42am
Fortunately Mum didn't like tripe so she never cooked it for us - but she used to always plate our meals up for us, when it was just the four of us - I suppose it was easier and she knew how much we would eat, but whenever we had guests everything was always served in dishes and we helped ourselves (Dad always carved the meat!) I do remember once being made to sit at the table until I'd eaten whatever it was that I didn't want to eat.I can't remember what it was, but I understand I actually fell asleep at the table and Dad picked me up and carried me to bed.