Do you talk to your free-range chicken!

mazzy1, Oct 24, 5:05am
No - I haven't been drinking; well, not much! lol. I was putting halved lemons and rosemary in the cleft and found myself thanking the chicken for her life. Seemed appropriate somehow.

shop-a-holic, Oct 24, 5:07am
Snap! I just did the same thing, except with Lemons and Thyme.
Just started drinking.cheers, doll :-)
Give you a race to make gravy!

mazzy1, Oct 24, 5:13am
Cheers, darling! Gravy will be juices from the oven bag with stock, a teensy bit of sweet sherry and fresh rosemary and thyme from the garden. Always have plenty of thyme down in this neck of the woods!

shop-a-holic, Oct 24, 5:17am
Ditto. I'll let you know when it comes out of the oven. I quadruple-wrap the little baby; and rest it for 45 mins before carving and plating.
Make gravy, and it goes back into the oven, with veges and plates.
Then time for another wine.
I'll keep you posted (raises glass to you :-)

mazzy1, Oct 24, 5:28am
*salut* Our wineglasses are buckets! I'm still on my first which will (hopefully) last until your next one; have to pace myself after last night! Too much wine with a fingernail chaser! Gaaaah - didn't feel that flash first thing today! The free-range chickens always look smaller and less plump than their caged counterparts, don't you think!

shop-a-holic, Oct 24, 5:39am
I'm using a Waitoa chicken. They are VERY lean; and I don't have to tip additional fat out of the pan like Turks ones. It's all juices.
Our local supermarket stopped stocking them; then Pac n Slave in Petone stopped stocking them 4 weeks ago. Only available at Moore Wilsons.
The Turks ones still have me worried. Chicken meat doesn't change just because it's on a corn diet. They are just processed to take the first two layers of epidermis off at a lower temperature and a lot of fat is left behind.
I won't tell you what they do to Tegal ones, but they're not free range anyway.{slurp}

shop-a-holic, Oct 24, 5:41am
PS: Your wine buckets could be Gordon's ones. They hold 672mls!

mazzy1, Oct 24, 5:47am
Our New World in Alexandra *slurp* only has Rangitikei FR chickens, so that's what I invariably buy.*slurp* I shudder to think how much wine the glasses hold. They are some kind of hugely expensive Italian Pinot glasses with extremely thin rims. Just gorgeous. Having said that, I could probably be quite happy with a plastic mug if I was camping or something!

shop-a-holic, Oct 24, 5:59am
Chicken coming out!

shop-a-holic, Oct 24, 6:20am
*She looks so beautiful* {chicken that is} Gravy in oven; plates and veges.
Serving in 30ins.
[slurp]

mazzy1, Oct 24, 6:38am
lol 30ins! Mine's been out and resting - smashed potatoes crisping in oven. sauce a disaster, but who cares! it's going to taste fabulous! Bon appetit, mon amie :)

mazzy1, Oct 24, 6:38am
*slupr*

shop-a-holic, Oct 24, 6:42am
{sends hugs to you} Serving in 5.
Enjoy your evening! Gordon on Prime at 8.30pm xox

mazzy1, Oct 24, 9:28am
I had fun! That's what I call a successful, free-range connection! Sleep tight, and see you next time xoxo

pickles7, Oct 24, 9:12pm
what goes around.comes around

mazzy1, Oct 25, 12:21am
Yep I have heard that expression. Are you suggesting I might come back in the next life with a lemon up my bum! lol

kuaka, Oct 25, 6:55am
I gave up talking to mine when I found they didn't reply!

mwood, Oct 25, 7:10am
OK OK - lie back and think of England then ! and up yours !

winnie231, Oct 25, 7:16am
I talk to the ones which are still running around the farm here . and thank them for my yummy breakfasts of scrambled eggs with orange yolks.

elliehen, Oct 25, 8:52am
Not Chicken Korma.Chicken Karma ;)

seniorbones, Oct 25, 9:11am
Well I have a customer that prays over the parcel before she lets me take it and put in the mail bag so why not thank the chook for the meal your about to eat, and I talk to my chooks but they are alive and running around my property and I always say 'thankyou girls' when I go and collect eggs.

pickles7, Oct 25, 9:22am
lol. something like that. lucky you didn't use chili.

mazzy1, Oct 25, 10:04am
heh heh heh

mazzy1, Oct 25, 10:09am
I used to have chooks too; they were the happiest, most pampered, spoiled chickens in the world and there's no way I could have eaten them. I praised their golden yolks, picked them up and cuddled them and spent days on making gorgeous hazard-free roosts in the forests and a Hen-Hilton to beat all accommodations for any feathered queens anywhere. I totally get that they deserve love and respect and always honour their lives. These days I don't necessarily know them, but I eat them with a clear conscience.