pickles7, Oct 22, 4:30am
Xmas cake.
melt 1 tin of sweetened condensed milk,
125 grams of butter,
2 Tbsp golden syrup.
mix in another large bowl,
1 and 1/2 KG of mixed fruit with
2 cups of flour,
1/2 teaspoon each, nutmeg,cinnamon, mixed spice.
now add to that bowl the milk - butter mix,
4 beaten eggs,
1/2 teaspoon each almond, lemon, vanilla, rum essences.
lastly add
1/4 cup of milk with
1 teaspoon of baking soda added.
Bake 3-4 hours at 125 %c ,,, can take longer, depends on your oven.
I line my tins with corrugated cardboard, newspaper, finally non stick baking paper.
I am going to take a temperature of the center this year. The price of fruit etc, is getting up there, mistakes are costly.

gardie, Oct 22, 5:32am
My usual cake is a melt and mix cake that i have slightly adapted from one of those Womens Weekley - best ever cookbooks.I found it by accident once when my children were little.I really felt like a peice of fruit cake so I wrote a shopping list, put the 2 littlies in the pushchair and walked up to the shops.I got home, started cooking only to read the final direction - store for at least six months!I think they mean it keeps for at least 6 months but I was very good and kept it for the required time.Since then, I've made Christmas cakes - a little different each year - at labour weekend.

Last year, I found a Nigella recipe for a kahlua prune christmas cake.Doesn't even sound right I know but I gave it a go and ended up making three of them!Will make one again - - but closer to Christmas so we don't eat it prematurely.

jaybee321, Oct 22, 8:25am
Gardie are you willing to share your kahlua prune recipe also please

gardie, Oct 22, 8:53am
I'll have to go looking jaybee - can't quite remember the name of it but will get back here tomorrow.I took a photocopy of it so it'll be around somewhere.

elliehen, Oct 22, 9:05am
I'm sure gardie will be along to share, but in the meantime, here's a link to a slightly adapted version of Nigella's Kahlua Prune Fruit Cake you might like to look at.It includes step-by-step photos.

http://www.mrsmultitasker.com/2010/11/19/chocolate-fruit-cake/

gardie, Oct 22, 6:11pm
Incredibly Easy Chocolate Fruit Cake by Nigella.
This makes an 8in cake that is about 3 inches high.I have put my quantities at the ends of the lines*and I make it in a 23cm tin.

Ingredients
12 1/4 ounces (350 grams) dried soft prunes, chopped*525g
8 3/4 ounces (250 grams) raisins*375g
4 1/2 ounces(125 grams) currants*265g(My recipe from the book says 175G originally rather than the 125 grams in this recipe).
6 1/4 ounces (175 grams) unsalted butter, softened*265g
6 1/4 (175 grams) dark muscovado sugar*265g
6 1/4 fluid ounces (175 ml) honey*265 ml
4 1/2 fluid ounces (125 ml) coffee liqueur* 3/4c Tia Maria or Kahlua
2 oranges, zested and juiced*3
1 teaspoon mixed spice* 1 1/2 tsp
2 tablespoons good quality cocoa*3 tbsp
3 free-range eggs, beaten* 5 small
5 1/4 ounces (150 grams) plain flour*225g
2 1/2 ounces (75 grams) ground almonds*115G
1/2 teaspoon baking powder*3/4 tsp
1/2 teaspoon baking soda*3/4 tsp
For decoration:
1-ounce (25 grams) dark chocolate-covered coffee beans
Edible glitter
Gold mini balls
About 10 edible gold stars
Directions
Preheat the oven to 300 degrees F (150 degrees C).

Line the sides and bottom of an 8 by 3 1/2-inch deep( *23cm ), round loose-bottomed cake tin ( *I use a normal one) with a layer of reusable silicon baking parchment. When lining the tin with the parchment, cut the material into strips that are twice as high as the tin itself (it is easier to use two shorter strips of parchment, than one long strip); the height of the strips protects the cake from catching on the outside of the cake tin.

Place the fruit, butter, sugar, honey, coffee liqueur, orange zest and juice, mixed spice and cocoa into a large wide saucepan. Heat the mixture until it reaches a gentle boil, stirring the mixture as the butter melts. Let the mixture simmer for 10 minutes. Remove the saucepan from the heat and leave to stand for 30 minutes.

After 30 minutes, the mixture will have cooled a little. Add the eggs, flour, ground almonds, baking powder and baking soda, and mix well with a wooden spoon or spatula until the ingredients have combined.(I like to cool it a little longer so that it feels cool.I find that after 30 mins its still a little too hot)

Carefully pour the fruitcake mixture into the lined cake tin. Transfer the cake tin to the oven and bake for 1 3/4 to 2 hours, or until the top of the cake is firm but will has a shiny and sticky look. At this point, if you insert a sharp knife into the middle of the cake, the cake should still be a little uncooked in the middle.(I like to cook it a little longer until its well cooked)

Place the cake on a cooling rack. Once the cake has cooled, remove it from the tin.

To decorate, place the chocolate-covered coffee beans in the centre of the cake and arrange the gold stars around the perimeter of the top of the cake. Then sprinkle some gold mini-balls over the whole cake and sprinkle the top with edible glitter.

**Sorry there are so many comments but I hate giving people recipes that don't turn out like mine - they complain!I always put a few extras notes in now.And I don't use currants - instead I use sultanas or extra raisins.

mattdylan, Oct 27, 3:42am
Gardie I just saw this post about the Prune and Kahlua cake - awesome - do you think this is better than the other Xmas cake recipe you posted . would this one last till xmas!

gardie, Oct 27, 7:22am
Hi again mattdylan.The two cakes are very very different.The other one is a great keeping cake whereas I wouldn't keep this one for more than two weeks (I do remember reading that somewhere - maybe in the original book).This is a dense fruity chocolatey cake - not a traditional fruit cake.I do make both - and enjoy both - they are just different.Good way to use your kahlua though.I'm not sure that oldies would see it as a Christmas cake though.I make it at Christmas cos the cost it too much as an everyday cake!

rchelley, Oct 27, 8:20am
http://www.sunbeamfoods.com.au/recipe-library/christmas-recipes/indulgent-fruit-nut-cake

This is my absolute favourite recipe.Have made it for the past couple of years - prior to making this I didn't even like christmas cake

gardie, Oct 27, 5:34pm
That sounds devine - might be another i'll have to add to my repertoire.

clair4, Oct 27, 8:30pm
Me too.thanks rchelley

purplegoanna, Oct 27, 8:46pm
overnite xmas cake is my fav.takes abit of time setting the tin up but so worth the effort. Overnite Gingerale Xmas Cake
Soak 1 kg of Mixed Fruit (I use the pams stuff from paknsave) in 1/2 of a 1.5ltr bottle of gingerale overnite!, drain the next morning in a colander. Cake tin preparation: (most important but worth it). On the bottom you need to put a layer of cardboard, then 2 layers of newspaper then a layer of brown paper then a layer of greaseproof paper then on the sides you need to do the same but no cardboard.its sorta painful BUT makes it all worth while.(my round cake tin is 20cm across) Beat together: 225g softened butter, 225g white sugar, 4 eggs added one at a time, Then add to that mix: 3c flour, 1 Tbsp golden syrup, 1tsp baking powder, a good dash of curry powder!, 1tsp of rum or brandy essence, 1tsp of vanilla essence, 1tsp of almond essence, DON'T PREHEAT YOUR OVEN!, Bake at 130-140'c for the first 2.5hrs then at 100'c for 1.5hrs = altogether 4hrs, Can put a layer of tinfoil loosley ontop to stop it going to brown if you need to.to store wrap in greaseproof paper, then brownpaper then newspaper then gladwrap or in a cake tin.

gardie, Oct 28, 3:29am
What about wrapping the cardboard around the outside of the tin - would be easier but would it have the same effect!

samsnan, Oct 28, 3:55am
gardie I open up a newspaper flat and fold it from the bottom about 3 maybe 4 times. It needs to be a higher than the top of the tin. Wrap it round the tin and staple it. It will stay there if you do it carefully. Much easier than putting on the inside of the tin. My sil does wedding cakes and only ever lines her tins with foil. I do it also and they come out perfectly. Carefully push it into all the corners.

52many, Oct 28, 4:50am
bumping for gardies prune cake

gardie, Oct 28, 6:02am
The credit belongs to Nigella!

margyr, Oct 28, 7:18am
I made this one last year and everyone liked it.
"I think that it's a great recipe.so here it is again for those of you who wish to make it, Posted by darlingmole

1kg dried fruit (of your choice)
2 C orange juice OR 2 C strong black coffee (soak overnight)

Next day stir in
2 C flour
4 t Baking powder
1 t spice (or your choice; mixed or cinnamon!)
Pour into a greased tin and cook @ 180 deg C for 1-1/2hrs.
Turns out moist and freezes well.
ps: somepeople like the dried fruit soaked in sherry but I think that's a blatant waste of alcohol haha!

nauru (108 )8:31 pm, Mon 20 Dec #10"

badams1, Oct 28, 8:09pm
morning bakers, baked another two xmas cakes last night.thats nothing in itself,except,for the first time in my years of baking, i made a diabetic one. and its turned out great. i could imagine, the structure of the cake with the usual brown sugar. i have just exchanged one vice for another. this cake has a cup and half of whiskey.by xmas, shell be tastie. ps i used a sugar liquid supplement.

bev00, Oct 30, 9:54am
Indulgent Chunky Christmas Cake

Preparation Time:
25 mins
Cooking Time:
1 hour 25 mins
Ingredients:
150g Sunbeam Whole Turkish Apricots, (reserve 10 for decoration)
150g Sunbeam Brazil Nuts
100g Sunbeam Glace Cherries (reserve 6 for decoration)
120g Sunbeam Blanched Almonds (reserve 6-8 for decoration)
110g Sunbeam Macadamias
100g Angus Park Dried Apples, (reserve 6 for decoration)
100g Angus Park Pears, (reserve 4 for decoration)
100g Angus Park Figs
200g Dark chocolate
2 eggs
½ cup brown sugar
100g butter softened
¼ cup self-raising flour
½ cup plain flour
1 tbsp orange liqueur*
Apricot Glaze
¼ cup apricot jam
2 tbs caster sugar
3 tsp orange liqueur
Method:
1.Preheat oven to 150°C
2.In a large bowl combine coarsely chopped fruit, nuts and chocolate.
3.Using an electric mixer beat eggs and brown sugar until thick and creamy. Add softened butter and beat for 30 seconds. Stir in sifted flours and liqueur until well combined.Pour mixture onto fruit and nuts and gently mix until well coated.
4.Spoon into a greased and baking paper lined 21cm x 13cmx 7cm deep loaf pan and bake for 1 hour 25 minutes. Allow to stand in pan for 15 minutes before turning out onto a wire rack to cool completely.
5.Gently heat glaze ingredients in a small saucepan until sugar is dissolved.Increase heat and boil glaze for 45 seconds – do not stir.Strain glaze then drizzle a little of the glaze on top of the cake and arrange reserved fruits and nuts decoratively.Drizzle with remaining glaze. Serve cut into thick slices.
Notes:
Orange juice can be substituted for Orange liqueur

tommydog, Oct 30, 10:50am
I normally don't buy in cakes etc but was at a friends last year and had some of her xmas cake it was really delicous I raved about it until she confessed she brought it at Couplands so they will be making mine this year it really was that good.

rubyjane11, Oct 29, 6:01pm
nigellas cakeis a fav every christmas in this house!

griffo4, Oct 29, 9:36pm
Um l made Nigella's one and we ate it and l have been churning out Alison Holst's Golden Christmas cake as it keeps getting eaten and everyone is raving about it so l have another lot of fruit soaking in a plastic bag with white wine on the table now
l have adapted the recipe to suit me by soaking the fruit for 2 days instead of heating it and l put in more wine than she does
l will dig it out if anyone wants it

l have also made Alison's pineapple one and Gardies one she usually makes and also l made Bea2 cake and it smells so nice

sarahb5, Oct 29, 10:36pm
We don't like Christmas cake at all in our house but every year my auntie has one sent to us from a bakery in the US but we don't like pecans either so we share it with our friends whenever we have to take a plate - everyone else loves it except us!

http://www.collinstreet.com/pages/online_bakery/pecan_cakes

juliewn, Oct 30, 8:59am
This is our favourite Christmas cake. with this updated recipe from earlier posts in Trademe Recipe's. and an easier way to prepare tins - see next post,which makes it even easier to prepare and make. Though there's lots of writing here. the cake itself is simple to make. see below.

The recipe makes either a large (roast tin size) cake, or three medium cakes - which is what I do.
No sugar or eggs are in this recipe.
It freezes beautifully.
The recipe can be halved easily also.

Note - in earlier posts for the recipe, I included that 250gms of butter could be used instead of the 500gms included below. I've returned to using 500gms as the cake has a better texture once cooked, rather than the slightly uncooked look, even once cooked fully, that results from using 250gms.
Christmas Cake:

The day/night before baking the cake/s:
Mix together in a large ceramic, glass or similar bowl - not metal or plastic:
1.75kg dried fruit of your choice (I use a mix of sultanas, sticky raisins (Sunbeam brand - sold in a box) and currants.
2 packets glacé cherries, chopped or left whole. (optional)
1 packet mixed peel (optional)
2 x 440gm cans crushed pineapple, including the juice.
3 cups (750mls) cold water (from the cold tap, not chilled)
Cover and leave overnight. the pineapple juice and water will be absorbed by the fruit.

Next day, when ready to make the cake:
Place the bottom double layer of foil on a rack that's placed about 1/3rd of the height from the bottom of the oven.
Preheat oven to 120°C.

Melt 500gms butter
Add contents of two tins of sweetened condensed milk - I use the lite product - any of those available can be used.
Stir in 2 tsp baking soda, just before adding to the cake mixture

Sift together:
4 cups flour
4 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
2 tsp nutmeg
4 tsp cinnamon
4 tsp mixed spice
2 teaspoons ground ginger

Add the butter mix to the fruit and stir together well.

Add the flour mix and stir together very well.

Don't forget to have everyone make a wish - close your eyes as you stir the mix. and wish! :-)

Divide the mix between the tins.
Use a spoon to press the mix down well, and level the mix across the top.
Place the tins on the foil in the oven, and place two layers of foil over the top, so it's resting on top of the foil that's around the sides of the tins.

Bake for 1 & 1/2 hours, then if you want, decorate the top with a mix of almonds and cherries - or your preferred mix of nuts and cherries.
I place them on top of the cakes when they're partly cooked so the nuts and cherries don't sink into the mix, taking the cakes, one at a time from the oven, decorating, then returning them to the oven.

Continue baking for 1 & 1/2 hours more and check in the centre with a skewer – continue cooking, checking regularly, till the skewer comes out clean.
Depending on the size of the cake/s, this could be several hours longer - the longest mine have cooked is 7 hours when the cakes were quite high - the cakes remain beautifully moist and don't dry out.

Once cooked, remove from the oven, and place the tins on a cooling rack, Leave the foil around the tins so the cakes cool slowly, then cover with a tea-towel.

Leave overnight in the tin to completely cool. Remove from tins carefully.

I prefer to freeze my cakes, unless making them a short time before they're needed. I wrap the cakes in three layers of plastic wrap before freezing - as they don't freeze hard, the flavours continue to develop - and there's no risk of the cake being affected by any mould during humid summer weather.

This is the best cake recipe I’ve ever made for Christmas’, Wedding's, 21st's, Christening's and other special occasions.