Christmas cake, whats your favourite

Page 2 / 2
juliewn, Oct 30, 9:00am
Tin preparation

The tins can be prepared the day before if you prefer. I did this when I made the cakes this year - which saved some time on the day I baked them. I then placed the prepared tins in the fridge overnight, due to the butter being used to grease the tins. Remove from the fridge an hour or so before mixing the cakes so the tin's reach room temperature.

Lightly grease the bottom and sides of the tins you'll use - round, rectangle or square are all fine. and line the bottom of each with baking paper.
Line the sides with baking paper also, bringing the baking paper 5-6cm higher than the sides of the tins. Use a little butter to stick the ends of the paper together.

Cut lengths of foil, long enough to go around the perimeter of the tin/s, then fold that in half or thirds lengthwise, resulting in the foil being two or three layers thick.
Make it so it'll be 5-6cm higher than the sides of the tin - the same height as the baking paper.
Place this folded strip around the tins, stapling the foil together where it overlaps.
The day after baking, when you've finished using the foil, wipe it with a damp sponge or cloth to remove any mixture that might be on them.
Leave the foil to dry fully, then fold together and store them all together in a bag for next year.

Place two layers of foil over a rack that's about 10cm from the bottom of your oven.
Prepare two more layers of foil the same size, so they'll go right across the top of the cake/s once you've put them in the oven.

dairymaid, Nov 1, 11:31pm
Was given this receipe many years ago and be for you ask I have not left anything out this is all that is in there really easy to make
Soak overnight1 kg mixed fruit any you like in 2 cups of orange juice
next day add 2 cups self raising flour mix well.Cook for 2 hours at 150c in an 8 inch (sorry dont know the cm size) tin. Nice all year around but for xmas I replace 1/2 cup of orange jucie for Brandyor sherry. and have also added nuts at different time

gr8stuf4me, Dec 5, 9:09pm
Hi Griffo - you golden christmas cake recipe pretty please, if you would be so kind - I dont think I have come across that one. Thanks in advance and merry christmas to all.

gr8stuf4me, Dec 6, 11:29pm
Bumping for griffo's golden christmas cake recipe