Eating mussels from the sea

nzgrooverider, Oct 11, 1:06am
I've just collected fresh mussels from a safe spot that everyone goes to. I've cooked a few up and one of them had hundreds of longish minute egg like things in it. they were dead of course since being cooked. I didnt eat it worried they were lice. Do i have to check every single mussel before eating it or should i assume these things were the mussels own eggs and ok to eat!

nzgrooverider, Oct 11, 1:07am
oh, these things were in the orange part of the mussel only

monique70, Oct 11, 3:06am
Ew! That doesnt sound right!

m16d, Oct 11, 4:38am
Post a close up photo and us panel of experts will let you know.

camper18, Oct 11, 5:17am
If only in the orange part they are probably eggs or spat.

buzzy110, Oct 11, 5:24am
That was my first thought as well. I think they are spitting (or is it spatting) around about now which is why mussels at this time of the year are thin and insipid, rather than the juicy, fat morsels we are more familiar with.

nzgrooverider, Oct 11, 5:45am
oh cool, thanks. I found the same thing in a few of the others. the whole mussels had orange spots all over that upon cooking fell to pieces and were mushy looking. Just to be safe I didn't eat them. The rest however made a lovelypasta with white wine, watties diced tomatos with garlic and basil, and coriander

beaker59, Oct 12, 10:45am
I have seen that before too it happens sometimes when they are quite fat almost like dimpling on the walls of the mussel not sure what it is but not harmful. Buzzi they are generally thin in winter and starting to fatten up now, some I bought the other day were quite reasonable.