Anyone buy lamb these days!

Page 2 / 4
n1smo_gtir, Oct 4, 4:25am
Do we have a high tax on meat export! If we dont we should and we should bloody well try and get some good bargins here, not over seas

bedazzledjewels, Oct 4, 4:44am
For me, eggs and meat go at the top of my shopping list. They're non negotiable.

sarahb5, Oct 4, 4:48am
I usually buy a leg of lamb when I get my Onecard voucher and it just about covers it.I save it for special occasions though - like Easter or the rare weekends when everyone is at home to appreciate it.A leg will usually do us about 3 meals so if it costs me $30 to start with then that's only $10 per meal which isn't too bad for 5 of us.

rats123, Oct 4, 4:48am
understood :-)

sarahb5, Oct 4, 4:50am
And they probably pay more for Welsh lamb than NZ lamb

fifie, Oct 4, 5:07am
Yes food is expensive for us all i, other half would think his throat was cut if he didn't get his meat and spuds lol, very seldom buy meat from supermarket, butcher is the way to go for me at the mo, my take on the lamb is its all sent overseas like our lovely crayfish and we don't get any only at expensive prices.i"m lucky my kids give me some home kill occasionally which we are very thankful for it all helps.

liamjosh, Oct 4, 5:12am
Theres no way in hell we can afford to buy lamb, the only time we ever have lamb is when it comes off a friends farm and we are not a lower income family either so I have to wonder who the market is that is buying it in this country, it is very expensive.

nzl99, Oct 4, 5:20am
Only when Reduced to Clear.I find it really rich anyway, so once in a while is fine for us.

glenn-ellyn, Oct 4, 5:21am
I'm in Christchurch at the moment and have stocked up on pork loin chops from Raeward Fresh @ $9.99 a kilo.$19.49 at home Countdown on the Coast.Grow our own organic lambs and free range eggs.Don't like beef much but have steer out the back.waiting.

jessie981, Oct 4, 5:35am
Mid Loin chops for tea New World24.99 kg. Sometimes it is cheaper to buy a roast rather than chops.

lythande1, Oct 4, 5:57am
I generally buy a whole sheep from the Aussie Butcher, works out cheaper although it's still way more than it used to be.

parsondian, Oct 4, 6:48am
I buy lamb, these days I cook lamb rump, kofta using lamb mince and slow cooked lamb using lamb shoulder.

delwyn_sable, Oct 4, 7:06am
Four lamb shanks are now $19.95, only last year it used to be $9.95 for four.

30 years ago, my dad would go up to the local butcher and buy a lamb shank for 50c!

kay141, Oct 4, 7:15am
Lamb chops in Countdown today were 25.95.per kilo. I didn't look at the price per k on the legs but they were all around $30 -$35 each. I prefer hogget or mutton but you never seem to see it in the shops down here. Lower Hutt, Upper Hutt and Petone now have no butchers left apart from the Mad Butcher.

cassie3, Oct 4, 7:28am
I just bought a small lamb roast for $20 for a special occasion. I also bought a $20 beef roast, cooked them together. The lamb was half the size of the beef. :(

kuaka, Oct 4, 7:33am
and does the lamb have a big bone in it too and the beef doesn't!

supercook, Oct 4, 7:44am
Only if it's on really good special. Must say the lamb legs vacum packed from countdown are great favour.I prefer to buy lamb steaks these are good value when on special or reduced to clear.

m41, Oct 4, 8:21am
what makes me mad is that i could eat NZ crayfish for dinner every nightin the states but can`t afford it now that i`m home WTF alright ! & agree the price here at home are crazy !

kuaka, Oct 4, 8:54am
and every time I go to the UK I dine out on scampi (which I love) but where is our scampi - oh that's right, it's all exported!

firemansgirl, Oct 4, 9:48am
I'd love a leg of lamb but unfortunately banks only provide mortgages for bricks and mortar, not lamb :-(

kuaka, Oct 4, 9:50am
That would be funny if it wasn't so close to the truth!Edited to add, that theory probably applies also to cheese, milk, petrol and diesel.Sadly it doesn't apply to stuff like coke.

fisher, Oct 4, 10:16am
Went shopping early this week and got a nice chunk of lamb leg for 28 bucks.love the roast but love the real fresh bread with lashings of butter, slices of cold lamb and a good mint sauce.white pepper and a touch of salt makes my favorite lunch. hmmmm .roll on saturday/sunday.always have lamb chops and lamb shoulder chops in the freezer and just replace them when on special.

floralsun, Oct 4, 11:24am
Keep a check for marked down lamb - we got a leg roast recently for $17 - three meals plus sandwiches. I've noticed that the more expensive meats are the ones more likely to be marked down now, than mince, sausages, and are usually cheaper than those, when marked down.Maybe people who previously bought more expensive meats and now also tending to go for the traditionally cheaper meats like mince, sausages, casserole meat, etc. which means the more expensive meats are more likely to be marked down!

My theory anyway!

dippychik, Oct 4, 6:41pm
. and they were the ones that didn't get fed to the dogs - funny to believe that for so many years we just threw the shanks out cos they were 'waste', and now they're so trendy (and tasty!)

rats123, Oct 4, 7:42pm
This is so sad. We should do something about this. Put up banners around the country demanding cheaper lamb! :-D