Anyone buy lamb these days!

Page 1 / 4
rats123, Oct 3, 11:25pm
I can't believe how expensive lamb is these days. :-(

kuaka, Oct 3, 11:32pm
You have to be joking - I'm on National Super and haven't been able to afford lamb for years - my sister in the UK regularly buys fresh (vacuum packed) legs of NZ lamb on special at Tesco for 3.99 per kg (that's pounds sterling) which is about half what it costs here when it's on special.

rats123, Oct 3, 11:33pm
I know what you mean. I can't understand why lamb is so bloody expensive in NZ. I mean the country is full of them, isn't it!! :-(

holly-rocks, Oct 3, 11:46pm
No way! Way to expensive, super lucky we do homekill.

cookessentials, Oct 3, 11:51pm
I bought a rolled shoulder the other day to use in a tagine. From memory it was about 1.3 kilo's and I paid around $23

pericles, Oct 3, 11:57pm
cooked 2 lamb racks last night

fifie, Oct 4, 12:00am
Lol Kuaka I'm with you there, managed to get some chops last week they were so small but so Yummy, as for a leg of lamb i only dream of that these days.

2bakerz, Oct 4, 12:15am
How I do agree with you all!I would absolutely love a lovely roast leg of lamb, but at around $14 a kg it is just a dream!What a change from the days when chicken and pork were "special occasions" treats!

lilyfield, Oct 4, 12:23am
and that is why I am a vegatarien -meat is too expensive on the super.

pheebs1, Oct 4, 12:45am
it was around $70 for a leg a few months ago now its 50
i bought 2 spring lambs at $30 a peice already shorn then sheared them again in the winter for 25 total and had them killed and butchered a month ago for 30 each
so it was 150 total for two entire lambs
i got 4 leg roasts 2 shoulder roast and about 100 loin and shoulder chops plus a huge bag of ribs and flaps
pretty good huh
so worth it if you have the land sure beats mowing the lawn
before that i dont think we had bought lamb in years and years
and these ones are lean as a bean
supermarket ones are really fatty
having never done it before and being a real towny it was totally worth it and not hard at all

creeky1, Oct 4, 12:52am
no, i have a very keen ram who plays real nice with the girls. Have 2 lined up ones called christmas and the other easter.

lodgelocum, Oct 4, 1:54am
As a treat the other night, yes.A very small leg, did two meals, $36!

motorbo, Oct 4, 1:58am
i used to buy a lamb steak now and again cos i found it cheap enough to enjoy .oh and neck chops, i dont buy lamb at all now.i just cannot justify the cost.i also eat alot more vege meals .and tinned fish meals than i ever have

darlingmole, Oct 4, 2:02am
You've gotta be kidding at the price of it!The closest we get it occassionally mutton chops . and we consider it a luxury at that

tarshlove, Oct 4, 2:07am
I get it on reduced to clear. I measure it out into 500gm lots and put it in the freezer. I use it mainly for Irish stew :o)

zizzy41, Oct 4, 2:10am
I haven't been able to afford lamb for years and I miss it :(
Also cheese has become a luxury for us too

bedazzledjewels, Oct 4, 2:11am
Yes, we eat it as often as it's on special. Strange that you can buy pork cheaper these days (although not the free range pork!). Love lamb.

holly-rocks, Oct 4, 2:18am
pheebs1 $30 for a live lamb is super cheap! They are around $60 -$70 here ( well they were last year) We are due to lamb in about 3 weeks :)

rats123, Oct 4, 2:57am
Anyone know where I can buy a live lamb and have it processed close to Auckland! Thanks.

buzzy110, Oct 4, 3:39am
We still eat lamb often because even at the price it is still economical. One leg can last us for at least 3 dinners and at least one lunch. That equals 8 servings and in my calculations that works out at about $7-$8 per mealwhich is pretty damn cheap. It is cheaper than getting something cheaper which may only do one meal.

rats123, Oct 4, 3:43am
That doesn't make sense. If you buy a kilo of pork shoulder that will cost you about $7. If you buy a kilo of lamb shoulder that will set you back around $15. So in both instances you're buying the same amount of meat!

kuaka, Oct 4, 3:53am
Countdown here in Paihia has lamb legs on special at $15.95 kg and neck chops are usually $13.95kg.What a rip off!

pheebs1, Oct 4, 3:57am
yes the farmer is a friend and they were they runts but as the had the lay of the land here and lots of it they got big and jolly yes he sold the rest of that line at 70 even still its pretty good

rats123, Oct 4, 4:13am
$16 is insanely expensive. :-(

buzzy110, Oct 4, 4:19am
Your logic only goes so far.We only buy free range or organic pork and believe me, you will never see it at $7 a kilo.