Substantial finger foods!

mattdylan, Sep 27, 11:35pm
I am hosting a party so am after some really substantial finger foods (as this is going to be dinner) ideas! thanks

vmax2, Sep 27, 11:53pm
Platter of meat - chicken nibbles.Cheese board.Veges and dip.Fruit platter.I find for a party it's not so much what I provide as how it's presented - nice cloth, plates, candles, flowers etc.Plain food can look good too.

rainrain1, Sep 27, 11:55pm
diagonally slice french loaf into 1/2 inch slices and toast in oven.Eat cold with favourite topping

davidt4, Sep 28, 12:09am
A Spanish tortilla (eggs, potatoes, onions) makes excellent filling finger food - cut into strips and serve warm or cold.Let me know if you would like a recipe.

greerg, Sep 28, 12:38am
Small meatballs and dipping sauce(s). Small rolls of rare roast beef with horse radish cream.Smoked salmon and a thick lemon mayo (maybe with dill) on little herbed pikelets (Or proper blinis if you prefer),

vintagekitty, Sep 28, 12:46am
We hosted a pre ball cocktail party recently and I was mindful of the drinking/eating thing so served heavier finger type food.

I baked a ham on the bone, a whole beef fillet, had wee bread rolls and platters of cheeses, salami, olives, gerkins etc and bowls of sauces and dips

pickles7, Sep 28, 12:50am
Set up for "sub like" rolls. A tray of fillings. Help your self style. you can buy bags of 18 small bread rolls.

vintagekitty, Sep 28, 12:57am
thats a goodie

bappy, Sep 28, 7:46pm
david4, that's sounds delicious.Pls can I have the recipe for your tortilla based finger food!

davidt4, Sep 28, 8:13pm
Here are two suggestions.The first is a classic tortilla, the second a modern tapa.The method sounds longwinded , but it is very simple to do.

Tortilla

approx 350 ml extra virgin olive oil
2 large potatoes, not floury
1 large onion
salt and pepper
8 eggs

Pour oil into a non-stick frying pan approx 22cm in diameter.Turn heat on to medium.
Peel potatoes and cut into small angular pieces of about 2 cm - not cubes, more like thin wedges.The cutting is important for the texture of the tortilla.Put into pan with the oil.
Peel the onion and slice into small wedges the same size as the potato, add to pan.
Cook over a fairly low heat until completely tender - this will take about 15 minutes.Try not to break up the potatoes.The veges should not brown.
Meanwhile break the eggs into a large bowl, add salt and pepper and whisk briefly just to combine.
When the vegetables are tender drain into a colander over a bowl.Drain for 10 minutes, save oil.Add drained veges to eggs and combine gently with a large metal spoon.Don't crush the potatoes.
With pan over medium heat pour in about 2 tab of the oil, pour the mixture in and gently flatten the top.Cook for about 10 minutes or until the mixture is almost set - it will still be a little runny on the top.
Place a large flat plate over the tortilla, turn pan and plate upside down so that the tortilla drops on to the plate.Slide the tortilla back into the pan browned side up, cook a further 5 minutes to set, tidying up the edges by pushing gently inwards to make a plump circle.

Slide out on to a board or flat plate.Cool and cut into fingers to serve.

Chorizo and White Bean Tortilla

8 eggs
4 tab olive oil
2 chorizo, roughly chopped
600g cooked cannellini or haricot beans

Fry chorizo in 3 tab oil 5 min until crisp.Add beans and cook 5 min until all liquid absorbed.

Beat eggs with salt and pepper, reduce heat and pour into pan.Cook 10 min until base is golden.Remove to plate, add remaining oil to pan and replace tortilla with the other side down.Cook 5 minutes until underside set.
Slide on to a board or flat plate, cool and cut into fingers to serve.

In Spain a common cheap and filling snack isa Bocadillo - a piece of baguette split and filled with a slice of tortilla.This might be an idea for your hungry party guests.