Finger Foods

max_18, Jul 10, 9:01pm
The school is holding a finger food lunch for the ages 5/8. Food must be cold any ideas

lx4000, Jul 10, 9:08pm
search on here for breakfast muffins(these are healthy muffins!!) , fruit cheese veggie sticks, toasties cut into 4 triangles, pizza, club sandies with fillings like nuttella and 100s and 1000s, chicken rollups (like asparagus rolls) to start your ideas.

lx4000, Jul 10, 9:11pm
cook up some mini spring rolls and samosa as they are nice cold.

Muesli Bars
150g butter,1TBS Golden Syrup, 1/2c brown sugar (original recipe said to put in 1 cup sugar, I cut it down to this amount) - put in microwave to melt for 2 minutes. Then add 1.5 c flour, 1 cup rolled oats ( instead I used muesli), 1/2 cup cocnut, 1 tsp B.P, 1 cup sultanas... I didn't have sultanas so I used dried apricot chopped, some choc chips, I threw in some pumpkin seeds... Finally mix well and bake for 10 minutes...it's really tasty and I'm so pleased as I'm not going to buy those baked bars anymore and save a bit of money!

lx4000, Jul 10, 9:13pm
Impossible Quiche

Twilight try this. 3 eggs.half cup of milk. 2tbs melted butter, salt.pepper & chopped parsley. 1 chopped onion, 1cup grated tasty cheese & chopped bacon and half cup S/R Flour.Mix well.Bake 180o for 40 minutes.

lx4000, Jul 10, 9:14pm
Cheese Muffins/Puffs
2 eggs
water
1 C Grated Cheese
1 C veggies (I use corn onion with tomato on top)
pinch Salt
2 C Flour
3 tspn BP
1/4 - 1/2 tspn Cayenne Pepper if wished
Break eggs into 1 measuring Cupthen fill with water to make 1 cup, then add another 1 C water. Mix.
Add veggies and cheese then mix.
Stir in salt, flour, cayenne pepper, BP until just mixed.
Spoon into muffin tins.
20 mins approx at 180.
dress the tops before cooking to make them look kid yummy!!

lx4000, Jul 10, 9:15pm
BREAKFAST MUFFINS

Ingredients
1 1/4 cups (275g) caster sugar
2 cups (300g) plain flour
2 tsp ground cinnamon
2 tsp baking powder
1 cup sultanas
1 cup desiccated coconut

2 cups grated carrot
1 cup grated apple

1 cup chopped walnuts

3 eggs

1 cup (250ml) vegetable oil
1 tsp vanilla extract

Icing sugar, to dust

Method
1. Preheat oven to 180degC.

2. Sift sugar, flour, cinnamon and powder into a large bowl.

Add sultanas, carrot, apple, coconut and walnuts.

In a separate bowl, beat together the eggs, oil and vanilla.

3. Add to the dry ingredients and fold until just combined - do not over mix.

4. Spoon into muffin pans and bake for

25 minutes or until golden brown.

Serve dusted with icing sugar.

I have tried to stay with healthy foods:)

dwyn5, Jul 10, 11:34pm
Sesame Fingers-Very tasty and so easy.

1 loaf of sandwich cut bread
Half cup of sesame seeds - toasted and cooled
1 pkt Maggie Onion Soup
160gms softened butter - not melted

Add sesame seeds and soup mix to butter and stir all together really well.
Spread mix on bread slices to the edges - no need to cut off crusts.
Cut each slice into 3 fingers.
Bake at 190 about 10 minutes until browned and crispy.
Cool on cake rack and store in air tight tin when cold.

lx4000, Jul 10, 11:36pm
that sounds so nice!

Add some grated cheese to the top and bake and serve with soup!

max_18, Jul 11, 3:01am
thanks i might give the sesame fingers a go they sound really nice n easy.. thanks all for your ideas

blt10, Jul 11, 3:31am
Rollflaky puff pastry,cut tosmall triangles, butterflies etc brush with egg wash or milk, cut cheerios in half (opt) place in centre of pastry then sprinkle with sesame seeds and bakeuntil golden brown.
Pour a little tomato or sweet chilli sauce oncheerios.
They're great warm or cold.

max_18, Jul 12, 9:50pm
thanks dwyn5 have made the sesame fingers they are awesome, Im sure the kids will just love them

dwyn5, Jul 13, 12:32am
So glad max_18 you likedthe sesame fingers - my kids used to love them.Nice to get the feedback, thanks.

theanimal1, Jul 13, 2:02am
Cocktail Meatballs

1 pound lean ground beef (can use chicken mince)
1 egg
2 tablespoons water
1/2 cup bread crumbs
3 tablespoons minced onion
1 (8 ounce) can jellied cranberry sauce (optional) (i just use plum jam if i want it)
3/4 cup chili sauce
1 tablespoon brown sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons lemon juice
In a large bowl, mix together the ground beef, egg, water, bread crumbs, and
minced onion. Roll into small meatballs. Bake at 350F for 20 to 25 minutes,
turning once.in alarge saucepan over low heat, blend the
cranberry sauce, chili sauce, brown sugar, and pour over meatballs .

can be eaten cold, and the sauce used as a dipping sauce. Just put toothpicks in them.

moreorless, Jul 18, 7:36am
dwyn5, you bought back memories, we had these as kids and I totally forgot about them, I am going to make some this weekend, thanks for posting :-)

dwyn5, Jul 18, 11:15am
moreorless, my taste buds have been in overdrive since posting so I am going to make some tomorrow,for old times sake.Hope you enjoy yours too, glad I brought back the memory.

lx4000, Jul 10, 9:08pm
search on here for breakfast muffins(these are healthy muffins!) , fruit cheese veggie sticks, toasties cut into 4 triangles, pizza, club sandies with fillings like nuttella and 100s and 1000s, chicken rollups (like asparagus rolls) to start your ideas.

lx4000, Jul 10, 9:11pm
cook up some mini spring rolls and samosa as they are nice cold.

Muesli Bars
150g butter,1TBS Golden Syrup, 1/2c brown sugar (original recipe said to put in 1 cup sugar, I cut it down to this amount) - put in microwave to melt for 2 minutes. Then add 1.5 c flour, 1 cup rolled oats ( instead I used muesli), 1/2 cup cocnut, 1 tsp B.P, 1 cup sultanas. I didn't have sultanas so I used dried apricot chopped, some choc chips, I threw in some pumpkin seeds. Finally mix well and bake for 10 minutes.it's really tasty and I'm so pleased as I'm not going to buy those baked bars anymore and save a bit of money!

lx4000, Jul 10, 9:13pm
Apple Crumble Slice
1 1/2c self raising flour,
1 1/2c coconut,
1/2c caster sugar,
185gm melted butter,
1 egg, 1 tsp cinnamon,
1 x 425gm can pie apple well drained.
In large bowl combine flour, coconut, sugar and cinnamon.
Mix in melted butter & egg.
Press half the mix into a lined slice pan.
Cover the base with apple.
Crumble remaining mix over top.
Bake @ 180°C for 35-40mins until golden.
If you have it, you can replace the Cinnamon with a dutch spice mix called "Speculaas spice" and its just as Devinne!

Cheese Muffins/Puffs
2 eggs
water
1 C Grated Cheese
1 C veggies (I use corn onion with tomato on top)
pinch Salt
2 C Flour
3 tspn BP
1/4 - 1/2 tspn Cayenne Pepper if wished
Break eggs into 1 measuring Cupthen fill with water to make 1 cup, then add another 1 C water. Mix.
Add veggies and cheese then mix.
Stir in salt, flour, cayenne pepper, BP until just mixed.
Spoon into muffin tins.
20 mins approx at 180.
dress the tops before cooking to make them look kid yummy!

Fibre Muffins
BOWL 1
1/2 C Sugar
1 Tbspn BP
1 1/4 C Flour
Mix.
BOWL 2
2 C All Bran
1 1/4 Skim Milk/Milk
Stand 5 mins
add to bowl 2
1/2 C Apple Sauce
1 Egg
Mix.
Add bowl 1 to bowl 2 and just mix.
Spoon into muffin trays.
Bake 20 mins at 200
You can add spices, dried fruits etc or even chopped apple, pears to this.

max_18, Jul 11, 3:01am
thanks i might give the sesame fingers a go they sound really nice n easy. thanks all for your ideas

blt10, Jul 11, 3:31am
Rollflaky puff pastry,cut tosmall triangles, butterflies etc brush with egg wash or milk, cut cheerios in half (opt) place in centre of pastry then sprinkle with sesame seeds and bakeuntil golden brown.
Pour a little tomato or sweet chilli sauce oncheerios.
They're great warm or cold.

bev00, Jul 17, 12:19pm
recycling these

bev00, Jul 17, 12:19pm
Use a savoury short pastry recipe - or purchase some - this rolls out and bakes and looks a little like flattened shortbread, though tastes different.

Roll out until about 3-4mm thick. a little thicker than you would have pastry for a pie. Cut into small circles with a cookie cutter - the crinkle-edged ones look good.

Bake as per the recipe or packet instructions. Leave till completely cold and freeze until the day they're needed - or make a few days ahead and keep in an airtight container.

You can decorate them as you wish. some of the following can be made in advance, then placed on the circles not long before being ready to serve:

* Mix some cream cheese and salmon or smoked salmon together, add chopped chives or a little chopped mint. Season to taste. Spread over the circles, top with a small piece of smoked salmon.

* A slice of avocado, a slice of tomato and some smoked salmon on top.

* Make some guacamole, and spread a thick layer over the circle, sprinkle with paprika and top with a small wedge of tomato.

* Use some cream cheese, seasoned to taste and a little lemon juice added, and spread on the circles. Top with some caviar.

* Spread a little hummus on the circles, then top with a thin layer of pesto.

* Place a slice of tomato on the circles, then top with pesto.

* Place a slice of cucumber on the circles, top with finely chopped mint mixed into some cream cheese, cottage cheese or hummus and season to your taste.

* Mix some finely chopped sundried tomato and some finely chopped mint into some cream, cottage cheese or hummus and spread on the circles. top with a tiny piece of mint or parsley.

* Mix some chopped smoked salmon into some hummus - season to taste if needed, spread on the circles and decorate.

* Mix some sweet chilli sauce or some pickle, chutney or relish into cream cheese, cottage cheese or hummus, season if needed and spread on the circles and decorate.

* Mix some chopped gherkins into cream cheese, cottage cheese or hummus and season if needed, add smoked salmon if you want, spread on the circles and decorate.

* Other ingredients you could use:

* Salami, chopped or sliced in circles
* Olives - sliced or chopped
* Fresh herbs - parsley, mint, lemon balm, thyme, sage, etc.
* Grilled chopped crispy bacon
* Hard boiled eggs chopped through cream cheese, cottage cheese or hummus and seasoned.
* Slices of hard boiled egg.
* Mashed hardboiled eggs, a little mayonnaise added and seasoned to taste - add a little curry powder and some chopped parsley - the good ole savoury egg recipe adapted to top the circles.
* Thin slices of fresh tuna
* Whatever you fancy.

Quotetheanimal1 (85 )11:13 pm, Mon 18 Jul #