Lunch for 50 - finger food?

daleaway, Jan 22, 11:25pm
x1
I am trying to avoid cutlery for a crowd of 50.
I have some ideas already, but all ideas for suitable finger food will be gratefully received.

jimminette, Jan 22, 11:32pm
I always do asparagus rolls. Even took a load down to after haybayling BBQ last week and with in 2 minutes - gone. 99% of people love them.

jimminette, Jan 22, 11:33pm
Saw a recipe in a book yesterday for scallopini. Cut them in half across the middle - scoope out centre seed area and then put in some herbs and butter and roast them. Going to give that a try shortly. Scallopini in season at the moment.

elliehen, Jan 22, 11:35pm
Sushi, mini vegetable fritters with dipping sauces, tiny samosas, scallops... have attended a wedding for 60 guests catered for entirely with finger food.

elliehen, Jan 22, 11:41pm
Another that goes almost as fast as asparagus rolls - savoury pikelets with cream cheese, smoked salmon and a herb garnish.

jimminette, Jan 23, 12:23am
Oh yummmmmmmmmmmm

teddy147, Jan 23, 12:24am
salmon and cream cheese rolls

process 1 lge can of salmon
1 250gr cheese cheese
1/2 cup chopped parsely
jice of 1 or 2 lemons
ground black pepper to taste

spread onto bread and roll up. can be cut in halve.

any leftovers can be brushed with a little oil and grilled.

darlingmole, Jan 23, 1:26am
As humble as it sounds ~ everyone likes cheese'n'crackers ... put a dollop of relish on top for garnish. And another one that people like is mini meatballs on toothpicks

waswoods, Jan 23, 1:40am
Chicken nibbles. Can you do a ham and cut the slices into strips? Rounds of toast spread with hummous and tiny pieces of meat on top with a bit of decoration

daleaway, Jan 23, 3:42am
That sounds very nice. As a result of reading your replies, I've already decided to expand the menu with some spicy chicken meatballs and smoked mini-fishcakes which can be served on the same large platter with the same pale tomato relish. And I'll give some of those others a go as well. Thanks.

trah, Jan 23, 6:48am
"Sound of Music" rolls from Robyn Martin's Finger Foods book:

Spread Mountain Bread with pesto.
Arrange slices of pastrami on top.
Roll up tightly and slice into 3 cm rings.

joseph2404, Jan 23, 7:02am
pick a theme, ie, upmarket which i spose would be your sashimi, half shell oysters, asian beef salads, dumplings and the like, then you have your old school , mini savouries, cheese & crackers, bread & dips, pate then go for it. i love entertaining

timturtle, Jan 24, 3:14am
Daleaway can you post your spicy chicken meatballs recipe please ? TIA

viv29, Jan 24, 3:30am
My mum was the queen of finger food. She used to do Alison Holst's potato cases - but in a small version, so they were a nibble but substantial (to soak up the alcohol). Can be made months ahead, frozen and reheated. Truffles for dessert - Jo Seager has some good tips. Actually Jo Seager has some good recipes that can be made ahead, made smaller so people don't drop things on their clothes, substantial and doesn't cost a bomb. BUT - most importantly - tastes and looks classy! ! ! ! Sometimes you just don't want to put out a sausage roll and mince pie... ... ...

daleaway, Jan 24, 3:51am
Timturtle: Here's the one I am going to use, which I found on the net. It is American so I have replaced a phrase or two in it. I intend to add some sambal oelek to it. You could replace the tarragon with another herb or spice.

•1 tablespoon butter
•1/2 cup finely chopped onion
•1 clove garlic, minced
•1/3 cup fine dry bread crumbs
•1 egg
•1/4 cup milk
•1/4 teaspoon salt
•1/8 teaspoon pepper
•1/2 teaspoon dried tarragon
•500g chicken mince
Preparation:
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. In small saucepan, melt butter over medium heat. Add onion and garlic; cook and stir until tender, about 5-7 minutes.
Remove from heat and place in medium bowl. Add bread crumbs, egg, milk, salt, pepper, and tarragon and mix well. Add chicken; mix gently just until combined.

Form into 1" meatballs. Place on a scone tray lined with baking paper. Bake for 15-20 minutes or until meatballs are thoroughly cooked. Remove from oven;and let cool for 20 minutes. Chill in refrigerator, then freeze, pack into hard-sided freezer containers, and freeze up to 3 months. To thaw, let stand in refrigerator overnight, or use frozen straight from the freezer.

motorbo, Jan 24, 4:03am
mini savory muffins