*Gluten Free Hints and Tips*. I thought it might be a good idea to have a thread that has hints and tips for people who are glut

Page 51 / 52
gaspodetwd, May 19, 5:49am
Well I finally tried to make gluten free pizza witall our food probelms - it was plum sauce (instead of tomato) and a GF base, with real A2 buffalo mozzarella (NOT CHEAP!) a bit of GF ham and some mushrooms and onions - and IT MADE THEM ILL! ARRRGHHH!WHY WHY WHY!

gaspodetwd, May 20, 5:32am
No one! We actually found out why the GF cake we had ordered made them ill - it was soybean oil. But I can't work out the pizza issue.

earthangel4, May 20, 11:07pm
Melford are you around hun,have not seen you for awhile,hope you are ok.
Was wondering if you have a piklet receipeI used rice flour and corn flour was yuk.
Or anyone else.
Thanks so much,I am starting to take piklets but make them big and fill them.
Have not been so well,with fluid,my gluten is bad because I have been bad,got a telling off from dr lol

earthangel4, May 21, 11:20am
bumping this thread up

cathnjim, May 21, 6:45pm
earthangel for pikelets, I use the edmonds recipe and substitute the flour for the simple baking mix. I know it is a mixture of maize and rice, but they always work out for me. If you want to make big pikelets, so that you can fill them, why not try a pancake or crepe recipe, as pikelets are meant to be thicker and would be harder to fill. Cathy

cathnjim, May 21, 6:47pm
gaspodetwd Were you wondering about whether the pizza base made you sick! I was thinking as soyabean oil was the culprit in one food, could there have been soy flour in the pizza base. Just a thought as soy makes me sick too, and it is in tons of gf flour mixes.

earthangel4, May 21, 9:51pm
cathnjim Its so awesome to see you,thanks so much for that,had another go and they turned out better this time,just differnt things to take to work.

herika, May 22, 6:07am
hi gaspodetwd what are the ingredients in the Plum sauce, the GF base, the cheese and the ham!Any of these could have been the culprit.Im thinking the Plum sauce mostly then the ham next.Did the cheese have any yellow food colouring!If you can give me the answers to these questions I may be able to help.:)

earthangel4, May 23, 12:27am
up. it goes

gaspodetwd, May 23, 8:53pm
Hi Herika the plum sauce is fine - its GF and we use it all the time in place of tomato! The cheese was buffalo mozzarella -Italian - not procssed in any way. The ham was beehive (GF) which we eat occasionally as a treat and normally poses no problems. The base wasGF one - but I forget which make. We are starting to suspect that the enzymes in cheese are a big culprit too. Anyone else have this problem!

gaspodetwd, May 23, 8:55pm
cathnjim my two can't do soybean oil at all either. We are very careful about that one as it is particlarly nasty!

bedazzledjewels, May 23, 9:01pm
Anyone in Auckland been to the show! Impressions please.

earthangel4, May 23, 10:32pm
It does pay to read labels Could not think for the life of me,what has upset me,had bacon,eggs and potatoe roasters for breakfast,had a trace of wheat,and has given me a sore tummy

strawbs3, May 25, 3:35am
Hi. Could anyone reccommend a cafe or resturant in Invercargill that has gluten free meals snacks etc. went to H and J Smiths yesterday and they didn't seem to have anything or even know what was in their food.Thank you

herika, May 25, 4:58am
hi earthangel wheat has gluten in it so I would say that it was the wheat you reacted to.Depending on the bacon it could have been that too, as not all bacon is gluten free :)

herika, May 25, 5:00am
hi strawbs3 Global Bytes used to do gluten free toasted sandwiches which were pretty good and they also had some cake and biscuits GF also :)

strawbs3, May 25, 5:29am
Thank you I have had soup and gf toast there before too, and that was yummy.I thought gf was becoming more popular but it seems to be getting harder to find food in cafe's especially in Gore.

herika, May 25, 6:00am
hi gaspodetwd Im wondering if the Buffalo mozzerella cheese was the problem.I know you can have a little dairy but Im thinking because the casein is so rich in this cheese it may be just too much.One website says its too indigestible to have at the breakfast table, so it could be that.:)

earthangel4, May 25, 11:40am
Herika Thankyou for that,I will have to check everything as am so sensitive.

earthangel4, May 25, 7:51pm
Herika checked the baconits g/f so it was the wheat in the roasters,I had a slice of bread was missing it,and right away ichy eyes and snezzing,yuk.

cathnjim, May 26, 5:17am
Earthangel I don't know, what are we going to do with you! Lol.

earthangel4, May 26, 10:07pm
cath lol lol,I know am so naughty,my own doing,then I suffer

herika, May 28, 2:08am
I do the same thing sometimes too - ah well! I dont know how people get on who dont have obvious symptoms, it must be very difficult for them. I find it helps me, having such the definate reaction that I have to gluten, because then I know for sure not to eat that particular thing.:)

herika, May 28, 11:34pm
Remember to check those labels carefully as manufacturers can and do change the ingredients without any notice :)

herika, May 29, 9:07pm
bumping for today :)