*Gluten Free Hints and Tips*. I thought it might be a good idea to have a thread that has hints and tips for people who are glut

Page 52 / 52
snapphappy, May 30, 8:25am
help can someone help me was diagnosed with celiac two months ago have stuck to the diet and felt amazing just this last week been getting burning in my tummy not nice can not work out whats wrong maybe it could be milk as well

2halls, May 30, 8:02pm
Hi girls,haven't been in here for a wee while . was in hospital for 10 days and only just "catching up" with myself.But for those of you in CHCH,I saw yesterday (for the first time ever) QUINOA FLOUR at SN Market (Cnr Colombo and Milton St) for $10 kg.Hi earthangel :-)

earthangel4, May 30, 9:01pm
snapphappy can you give us a list of food you have been eating,then we will beable to help you,I too have coetic disease.

earthangel4, May 30, 9:02pm
2halls Welcome back,so good to see you,hope all is well with you now and thankyou for the update on the flour

snapphappy, May 31, 12:44am
ive been eating alot of chicken lately all the stuff i buy is gluten free lots of veg gf bread 4 lunch with avocado tomatoe gf porrage 4 breackfast sogood milk didnt sleep 2 well still have sore tummy and not feel like eating if ive eaten something i shouldnt of how long 4 it to wear off sorry if my spelling not very good cant spell and am new at this internet stuff

2halls, May 31, 12:53am
snapphappy . just be careful with how much So Good soy milk you have,I was having quite a lot for a long time and it really mucked up my sleep and stomach.I discovered that this type of soy is very hard on the thyroid and can in fact cause sleep disturbance as one of the symptoms.I switched to rice milk and after about a week noticed a huge improvement.If you want to check out soy milk + side effects,try googling and prepare to be shocked !Good luck :-)

cathnjim, May 31, 12:59am
hi snapphappy take a look at your so good soy milk, some is listed as having light gluten according to the mfd site. Is your chicken fresh. I wouldn't eat rotisserie chicken as a lot of that is pre-stuffed and or basted with soy sauce etc. I'm guessing your porridge is rice porridge as porridge with oats is still considered to have gluten in because of the way it is processed. All the best.

earthangel4, May 31, 1:36am
so good soy milk I have trouble with,also have an underactive thyroid so I also have rice milk.

2halls, May 31, 1:50am
earthangel . start having daily kelp with your food,plus there is a list of things you should eat,and some you should avoid if you have an underactive thyroid.I will post the brief list I refer to later,just up to my armpits in the kitchen at the moment!There is also a great trader on TM selling Nth Atlantic kelp at a great price,if you like I'll find her username and tell you later :-)

2halls, May 31, 3:37am
earthangel . after quite a lot of research on underactive thyroid these are the things I try to eat LOTS of - chicken, lentils, ginger, kelp, apricots, pumpkin seeds, asparagus, olive oil, avocado, sunflower seeds,bananas,brazil nuts,tuna and walnuts.The following are what I have LESS of,- cauli, cabbage, brocolli, spinach, brussels sprouts, peanuts, strawberries, mustard greens,carrots and sweet potato.I don't completely avoid any of them altogether,I just watch that I don't overdo it on those things :-)

herika, May 31, 8:19am
hi shells666 Are you gluten intolerant/sensitive or a Coeliac!The blood tests needed for either are very different.The tests for Coeliac are the tTg and EMA ones, then having an endoscopy confirms it.To diagnose for gluten sensitivity or intolerance which is nothing to do with being a Coeliac, the tests are the IgG-gliadin and the IgA-gliadon ones.You must specify you want this test esp if the CD ones come back negatiave.The MedLab in Christchurch does these tests. What symptoms do you have!

earthangel4, May 31, 11:23am
2halls thanks so much for the thyroid,list so good to have.
Its going to be a test,as not aloud potatoes,so have been eating sweet potatoe,

2halls, May 31, 7:05pm
earthangel . I don't really eat potatoes either,and like you was having kumara as a substitute relatively often.Don't completely eliminate it,it is good for you .just have it less often.I rely on my rice pilaf a lot for an accompaniment for main meals (I'm adding lentils to it at the moment too),but also have pumpkin instead of potato (cheap and tasty at the moment) .

herika, Jun 1, 7:10am
hi shells666 cows milk is well known for causing asthma, skin conditions etc.Also some people who are gluten intolerant suffer diarrhoea others suffer constipation.I think its a matter of balance. Balancing everything we eat means a balanced diet. Some people need more fruit, some more vegetables.I need more veges and less fruit.Some people tolerate lentils and can replace meat with them, but some people find lentils a hard to digest carbo and have probs eating it. Drinking cows milk snuffs my hubby up, quite noticeably, but he doesnt have any tummy pain or diarrhoea etc from it. Every one is different and its a matter of finding out what you can and cant eat.The hardest problem is "hidden gluten" or "hidden cows milk or products" in pre prepared or packaged foods.For instance most MSG is made from wheat and therefore has gluten in it.Some USA products call wheat - corn, and that can cause confusion. So its really a matter of educating ourselves so we can make sure we are only eating what is good for us! :)

206coupe, Jun 1, 10:21am
Shells666 you may lack B12 I used to feel exhausted all the time and had a B12 deficiency.I get B12 shots and feel much better.

herika, Jun 1, 6:31pm
hi shells666 Im lucky in that my local bakery make a very good gluten free bread. I cant have a lot of GF breads, such as the Dovedale one, because they have vege gums in them (vege gums can cause diarrhoea in some people). Id also be careful of the quinoa, it can have a contamination problem. I find I have to be very careful to make sure I dont eat anything with gluten in otherwise Im in big trouble. Im glad my thread, and all the posts here, are a help to you :)