Gluten free food in Motueka...

missbella2, Jan 8, 9:41pm
Have put this on both the general& parenting boards but thought I would add it here too!

My family & I are heading to Kaiteriteri on Wednesday for 8 days & I have a 10 year old son with coeliac disease. Just wondered if anyone could tell me if there is a good range of gluten free foods available in Motueka & what the best shop is to get it, also any cafes/restaurants in the area that cater for gluten free. I'm just trying to work out how much food to take from here & what I will be able to buy up there.

TIA!! :-)

winnie231, Jan 9, 1:57am
There is a New World & a Fresh Choice supermarket in Motueka and both stock GF foods.

missbella2, Jan 9, 4:26am
Great, thanks for that!! Do they have a good variety? I guess they should pretty much have the same as what our New World & Fresh Choice has

elliehen, Jan 9, 4:30am
Fresh Choice has been converted into a large Countdown now winnie, and both supermarkets have a wide range.

Gluten-free bread can also be bought at TOAD Hall at the roundabout entrance to Motueka.

Edited to add: The Patisserie Royal, a Dutch bakery next to the Museum on High Street, bakes gluten-free bread on the premises - super fresh!

missbella2, Jan 9, 11:39pm
Sounds good, thanks heaps!

chicco2, Jan 10, 12:36am
There is a cafe near New World (accsssable from New World carpark) I think its called Arcadia, it is organic and has gluten free. As mentioned above, the supermarkets sell gluten free products.
Most cafes in town offer gluten free options.
Enjoy your stay in our lovely district.
Make sure to visit Jester House cafe at Tasman. Your son will enjoy feeding the tame eels and they have great food for humans too.

elliehen, Jan 10, 5:08am
Look for Dovedale bread too - comes in from rural area.Tasman district is the best place for a holiday :)

winnie231, Jan 10, 5:24am
I was nearly going to say - wait for elliehen to give up-to-date advice lol, but here you are :)
The Pattiserie Royal is a 'must stop' any time I've been 'over the hill' (locals will understand!) as my ex is German & loves their sourdough braed - baked with a crust to make dentists smile!!!

dezzie, Jan 10, 6:28am
Nothing to add, except enjoy your stay!!!

elliehen, Jan 20, 3:40pm
The Patisserie bakery's baguettes are the genuine thing too.I bought extra to make French toast for breakfast on Boxing Day.

They make an authentic brioche too, which freezes well if you're up to buying two :)