*Gluten Free Hints and Tips*. I thought it might be a good idea to have a thread that has hints and tips for people who are glut

Page 50 / 52
jenna68, Apr 4, 7:58pm
gg. gg

flossy21, Apr 5, 1:02am
Has anyone got a banana cake or muffin recipe that uses only rice or cornflour or a combo of both! I have no other GF flours in the cupboard and have bananas that need using up. The recipe also needs to be soy free too.

maxamissy, Apr 5, 5:05am
hmm you could but i doubt it would taste nice lol. why not make banana fritters instead

pam.delilah, Apr 11, 5:44am
bumping hope this is useful

rhad, Apr 11, 5:57am
Thanks! OMGoodness she probably wont read the whole thread due to its length!, My Mum is experiencing MANY Celiac symptoms, and has done so for years!.
Is there a good NZ website for ideas and support! cheers

frances1266, Apr 15, 4:12am
g/f bumping

herika, Apr 15, 5:58am
Hi rhad - I have one main symptom, but Im gluten intolerant and there are lots of other foods etc I cant have as well - such as cows milk and products.I can tolerate Nanny Lane Goat milk okay. It took me quite a while to work out all the things I react badly to. Some of which are vegetable gums, such as Guar gum and Xanthum gum (these are laxatives and cause diarrhoea in some people - me for one!), seaweed and products, silverbeet, rhubarb, buckwheat, eggs laid by chooks fed wheat, some chicken meat, ham, anything with MSG, and some other preservatives and additives etc etc. As lots of Gluten Free pre packaged foods can have any of these in them I dont eat a lot of that type of thing.Some people are Coeliacs, some are gluten intolerant/sensitive and some are gluten allergic. Some people can eat small amounts of gluten but others cant even have the tiniest bit or they react badly. Some Coeliacs dont even have obvious symptoms. Hopefully this thread will help :)

cousinv, Apr 15, 9:49am
14 pages! Ok that was alot of info to take in! But any recomendations for good website for recipes for childrens food - muffins, cakes. things i can freeze and get out for morning tea!Needs to be wheat, dairy, egg and soy free

gaspodetwd, Apr 16, 6:57am
what a disaster - I made GF gingerbread men today - haha - turned into soft ginger blobs! Anyone got a foolproof recipe - which uses butter and DOESN"T use potato flour, or soyflour or chick pea flour or any gums! tall order I know.
My 2 year old (who needs the GF) was very disappointed today.

blackx, Apr 18, 5:15am
Bumping for R321 .

herika, Apr 18, 6:26am
hi gaspodetwd I know of people who have failures similar to this. Sometimes it can be that the flour isnt that fresh, same with the baking powder ingredients, or maybe the mixture isnt mixed enough or its over mixed. It can be very frustrating! I find having fruit with cooked brown rice and Nanny Lane Goat Milk or So Good Regular Soy milk (which is gluten free) quite filling and holds me over until lunch time therefore I dont need any baking at morning tea time. I have fruit, an apple or banana etc at afternoon tea time. I cant have gums either and unfortunately vegetable gums are used in a lot of gluten free products (by what Ive read, some gums arent gluten free either). So I prefer to eliminate any suspect food from my diet. Smoothies are good too, hubby makes them using the small tin of coconut milk instead of yoghurt. Hope this tip helps :)

leese8, Apr 19, 1:36am
hi could I have the recipe for g/f rusks please TIA

jenna68, Apr 29, 2:15am
v. v

ahaaaaa, May 4, 7:37am
easy lunch idea (or dinner) Hi. I have a 14 yera old daughter who was diagnosed with gluten intolerance a few months back. She was so sick she couldn't attent school and now is feeling great.

For lunch at school one of her favourites are wraps. I keep a big container of gluten free flour that I mix up from bulk suppliers. I just add to the container whatever I have on hand and give it a good mix - rice flour, tapioca flour and cornflour and sometimes a bit of potato flour.

ahaaaaa, May 4, 7:40am
wraps I make wraps in a nonstick frypan with a little rice bran oil. The mix is one egg, 3 -tablespoons of the gf flour, pinch of salt and then enough water to make a pouring consistency (like cream). Pour a little i the pan and tilt to spread and cook till it bubbles and is golden then flip over.

The filling is salad - currently spring onion. grated carrot, lettuce, finely diced tomato and cucumber and cheese plus some shaved ham, diced cooked chicken or corn beef. I spread the wrap with home made hummus and roll up.

ahaaaaa, May 4, 7:42am
wraps There are plenty of ways to vary these and they could even be filled with something seet - eg banana etc. The whole family has had them for dinner with a mince based filling. salmon and cream cheese is also delicious.

ahaaaaa, May 4, 7:49am
Fav gluten free goodies I also make muesli bars for my daughter. There was a gf cereal she didn['t like so rather than waste it that was what I used first time. I make then without a recipe but it is all glued together with honey, sugar and butter bpiled together. I throw in coconut, dried papaya, toasted seeds etc. Then I squash it all into silicon muffin tins and sprinkle chocolate chips on top and melt them on in the oven. No worries about cutting hard bars using the muffin tin moulds. I make up a huge amount and keep it in the freezer.

Caramel slice also works well with gluten free flour - I make it in bulk (three tins of condensed milk) in a roating dish and freeze.

herika, May 4, 7:45pm
thanks for those great tips ahaaaaa Some people, if very sensitive, may need to be careful of corned beef (as it is often cooked with vinegar in the water) and ham affects some people too, otherwise they are very good ideas :)

maxamissy, May 12, 10:29pm
yeah good tips cheers. hummus is my best friend lol. and cornflour. oh and massels stock cubes.

herika, May 13, 7:35am
We use maize cornflour which is gluten free for just about everything. But I react really badly to Massels stocks for some reason.

shadow1, May 13, 8:17am
FYI - 2009 Gluten Free Food Expo The Christchurch Coeliac Support Group together with FreshChoice have run a Gluten Free Food Expo for the past 2 years.We are now planning the 2009 event and it will be even bigger and better.

When:Saturday 16 May 2009, 10am - 4pm

Where:Metropolitan Lounge, Addington Raceway, Christchurch (opposite Westpac Event Centre)

juliewn, May 13, 1:13pm
Bumping for Unicstudent and gluten free Naan bread recipes.

earthangel4, May 15, 1:57am
and up she goes

maxamissy, May 18, 4:35am
yeah making your own stock can be best. oh and vermicilli rice noodles are fab and i know herika agrees on the braggs soy sauce. ive been taking digestive enzymes with my meals and find i can get away with alot more different foods now. but still try and eat better as its better for my mood and energy. any idead for lunches that arnt salads so over them oh and it cant be reheated.

herika, May 18, 6:09am
Hi lil miss haley It looks like it could be gluten.If you were to go onto a very bland diet then start introducing other foods one at a time and noticing if you have a reaction that will tell you what you are reacting to.If you are a Coeliac there are certain tests you will need to have, if you are gluten intolerant/sensitive the blood tests to confirm these are different and must be firmly asked for.Make sure you ask for the IgG-gliadin and the IgA-gliadin tests.MedLab South in Christchurch does these tests (as far as I know they still do) Auckland, Hamilton and Wellington MedLabs no longer do these tests (as far as Im aware). If your Coeliac test comes back negative make sure you get these other ones done :)