*Gluten Free Hints and Tips*. I thought it might be a good idea to have a thread that has hints and tips for people who are glut

Page 3 / 52
herika, Dec 23, 11:20pm
herika wrote:
I did some research on hams and this is what I found out:Carrageenan (seaweed) can be added to the gel used when making a ham. Carrageenan is a gum and can cause diarrhoea. Wheat starch, gluten and sodium caseinate can be in the brine used too. So if these things are in hams then that will be why some people react badly to them. [end quote]. I thought this info was important enough torepeat. Hopefully we can avoid any mishaps this Christmas :)

herika, Dec 23, 11:27pm
Gluten intolerant people can be okay with ordinary cows milk cream but for those who arent you may like to try this recipe: Gluten free Mock cream :
1 1/2 teaspoons maize cornflour 1/2 cup Goats milk (or So Good Regular soy or rice milk) 2 tablespoons dairy free margarine (Olivani) 2 tablespoons sugar. Mix cornflour to a smooth paste with milk. Put into a saucepan & boil 3 to 4 minutes. (Stir constantly & turn heat down when it starts to boil). Remove from heat and allow to cool. Cream margarine and sugar. Add slowly to cool, cooked cornflour beating well. Will taste just like real cream if beaten well. :)

herika, Dec 24, 7:33am
Idlike to wish everyone a very Merry Christmas and all the very best tidings of the season :)

herika, Dec 25, 10:03pm
Hoping everyone had a lovely Christmas Day. :)

herika, Dec 25, 10:05pm
I made this ice cream and I loved it! I can recommend it to anyone who would like to try it. Thank you winnie :)

winnie15, Dec 26, 12:06pm
Oh good! so pleased to have bought some sweet joy to someone - we all love sweets!

jomia, Dec 26, 9:36pm
Help! I discovered this thread by accident late last night, and I saw someone had posted how to make GF Baking Powder. Cream of Tarar and Baking Soda from memory, but I don't remember the qualities. Would really appreciate if someone could post it again for me:-) My husband has recently been diagnosed with Celiac Disease, so we are just trying to get our heads around everything.

madzwhippet, Dec 27, 7:35am
I have just posted a pasta salad under the heading Pasta Salad (started by Biscuits )... . . this is a lovely crunchy fresh Gluten Free pasta salad when made with Gluten free Pastaand the dressing I have included ... hope you can find it about 6 or 7 down on first page ... . .

herika, Dec 27, 7:52pm
Use double the amount of cream of tartar to baking soda. (So if you use two teaspoons of cream of tartar mix in 1 tsp of baking soda). :)

herika, Dec 27, 8:14pm
San J Tamari sauce has been mentioned in another thread, so I thought Id copy the information I posted in here too. There is a gum in the San J Tamari sauce. "Ingredients: Tamari Soy Sauce (Water, Soybeans, Salt, Alcohol), Water, Organic Sugar, Honey, Sake (Water, Rice, Salt), Apple Cider Vinegar, Garlic Puree, Rice Vinegar, Ginger Puree, Plum Juice Concentrate, Torula Yeast, Canola Oil, Spices, Arrowroot, XANTHUM GUM". (The alcohol is made from corn).
Their website says that: "the Tamari sauce has a small amount of wheat in it and the Organic Wheat Free one has no wheat, although further down it says: Currently, the FDA has not finalized a definition or threshold for the term gluten free nor has it developed a set of rules permitting its use. However, it has proposed a standard of less than 20 ppm for gluten free foods. San-J Organic Wheat Free Tamari and Organic Wheat Free Reduced Sodium test at less than 5 ppm".
Braggs All Purpose Seasoning is made only from soybeans and water. It has no alcohol, preservatives, additives, colouring agents or chemicals. I love it and can recommend it :)

winnie15, Dec 28, 12:10am
is braggs seasoning a liquid herika?

herika, Dec 28, 7:27pm
yes, it is winnie. Its soy sauce basically, they just call it seasoning. I buy it from my local health shop, its around $14 a bottle, but as such a small amount is used it lasts for ages :)

2halls, Dec 28, 11:06pm
Just made a beautiful spread to have a dollop on gf toast as part of our lunch. Drain one can of cannellini beans and rinse. Throw into a mini processor :The beans, one clove of garlic, 12 black pitted olives, the juice of half a lemon and about 1 T of olive oil, just a smidge of salt and a grind of black pepper. Blitz until smooth. Keep in the fridge and use as required. Would also be delicious with a poached chicken breast or fillet of pan fried fish :-)

herika, Dec 29, 7:26pm
Excellent recipe, thanks 2halls. :)

colb1, Dec 29, 10:39pm
Hi, have just been reading alot of the posts, from memory I haven't seen Braggs in Supermarkets in the South Island, I am in ChCh, anyone suggest where I can get it from, and also is there a GF Vinegar? Thanks in advance.

colb1, Dec 29, 10:43pm
Also, I had a blood test a few weeks ago for celiac, but nothing wrong, I am sure I am having GF issues and have done for a good part of the year, especially with red meat, eg good qual mince made into a chilli con carne, pasta dishes, and brought patties, when I eat only white meat I have no issues at all, any one shed any light on this? Cheers.

2halls, Dec 29, 10:53pm
Red and white wine vinegar are both gluten free, as is Balsamic vinegar (only the good quality stuff), plus sherry vinegar and chardonnay vinegar. Mercato on Cass Street have a lovely selection of top class balsamic, the others are easy to find. Re - the Braggs:give Piko Wholefoods on Kilmore St a ring, I think they stock it :-)

colb1, Dec 30, 12:00am
Thanks so much for the info, a huge help :)
Have you come across the new GF Burgen? my NW doesn't seem to stock it, I am a Bread fan! !

2halls, Dec 30, 1:13am
I have found the new GF Burgen at a few supermarkets, but (a) I thought the price was outrageous and (b) I love Breadman buckwheat and corn as it also doesn't contain any added yeast and is organic. As you are in CHCH you could buy directly from the factory shop (Sydenham, check the phone book for address - Orbell St) and it's $6 a loaf for top quality. They are closed this week as I've just had a fruitless trip down there ! ! It's also generally advised to ring them the day before you want it and ask them to keep you some aside as they only have limited stock available from the factory door. Also, payment is cash only. The other thing I like about this bread is that it is unsliced, so you can get the thickeness you like when you slice it :-)

colb1, Dec 30, 1:31am
Many thanks again, anything GF is over the top price wise, if I can sort out the things want to cook and make I will go to Bin Inn, I also will check out Breadman, imagine they won't be open until after the 5th Jan, do they make things such as Mountain bread, I just started a Thread wanting recipes for Muffins and Sauces, still trying to get my head around changing my diet.

2halls, Dec 30, 1:38am
No, I don't think they make mountain bread. Have a look at www.breadman.co.nz and you will see what they make. When you say "sauces", what do you mean ? For meat, veges ? ? Might be able to help more ... :-)

colb1, Dec 30, 1:46am
Thanks. Yes for meat and veges please :)

2halls, Dec 30, 2:27am
Okay, well maybe if you say what you would like to be able to make, we can help you adapt it (if necessary). I don't find I have any problem with main meals, because I can substitute anything I may have used before. eg - to thicken a sauce use cornflour, to crumb fish use fine polenta. Vinaigrettes and salad dressings are never a problem. Also, you can find things like gf chilli sauce and the like by checking out www.mfd.co.nz. I don't have a problem because I basically make everything from scratch, therefore I know what's in it.

herika, Dec 30, 3:55am
I get my Braggs from my local health shop. Cider vinegar is gluten free. Some people say white vinegar is gluten free because of the distillation process but some people, me included, still react to it. :)

herika, Dec 30, 3:59am
There is another thread titled: "Gluten Intolerant but not Coeliac"it may possibly have the info you are looking for, I have bumped it up for you :)