*Gluten Free Hints and Tips*. I thought it might be a good idea to have a thread that has hints and tips for people who are glut

Page 2 / 52
cathnjim, Aug 1, 7:48am
water Well our block of land has about two hectares of water in it. How's your water situation? But in having said that, I am looking forward to being able to put a garden in and grow some veges on higher ground.

herika, Aug 1, 7:19pm
sorry I should have been more specific I meant your drinking water, esp the water at your work. Has the situation improved or do you still have to take your own? I only drink bottled water now. I cant wait until hubby puts our vege garden in too. We will also need to get a tunnel house :)

cathnjim, Aug 1, 9:33pm
Oh, that water. I'm not totally sure it was the water or what. But I think more likely, it was just my body healing and it seemed to react to so many things back then, even though I had cut out most allergens, like soy, peanuts and milk as well as gluten. I was lost and swamped (too much water) and would blame anything and everything. Nearly three years later, I now drink the water at work. I've now got more answers and I think my problems are gluten along with soy and peanuts. So most of the time I am fine if I avoid those three things, and of course not to eat too many carbs. I discovered a local bakery that made gf bread out of a Champion flour mix, only to discover it has soy and milk powder in it. So I have eaten the bread and have had a few bad days, but I think I will stick to Dovedale bread from now on. Also for a hint, most gluten free breads are better toasted, unless eaten fresh.

herika, Aug 2, 5:24am
h cathy thanks for the hint glad you are okay with water now. I was the same as you, it just took time for my body to heal and now Im symptom free! Im like you in that Im gluten intolerant but also I amcasein and vege gum (as well as anything classed as a gum, such as tapioca) intolerant too, and I cant have cows milk or products. Well, I can have very small amounts of dairy but have to monitor it carefully. My hint for a good, hearty breakfast is to cook up some brown rice and have it with fresh fruit and chopped almonds (and whatever milk you have)yum and very healthy! Cook enough rice for the week and keep it covered in the fridge :)

herika, Aug 2, 9:21pm
Heres a hint (sort of) I just learned recently some times wheat in a product is labelled as corn in the USA. There are so many products with misleading ingredients listed on the labels. Im glad I eat very little pre prepared or packaged foods these days, Im so much healthier for it and can enjoy my food and not worry about whats in it! :)

herika, Aug 4, 1:05am
On TV 3 tomorrow theres a programme on called:"Whats Really In Our Food" unfortunately I didnt hear what time, but this could be interesting to keep an eye out for :)

herika, Aug 4, 6:45pm
Its on at 8pm After Target. Should be very interesting :)

herika, Aug 5, 4:14am
bumping incase anyone is interested in watching the above show :)

earthangel4, Aug 6, 1:16am
Shadow1 I have found the book you mentioned in one of your threads here on Nosh by Julie Leeper, does the book of a pear on front cover and also do the recipes contain sugar, have found book in fishpond, not sure if I should buy it or not

earthangel4, Aug 6, 1:18am
Herika Thanks so much for taking the time to make this thread, its so awesome and very helpful.
You are so awesome

bedazzledjewels, Aug 6, 1:21am
Herika that tv programme has been awesome right through the series. Next week it's on bread and spreads. And I echo Earthangel's comments - thanks for sharing your knowledge.

herika, Aug 6, 5:23am
GF Mango cake got this from the latest New Idea:425g can sliced mango in natural juice, drained, 6 eggs separated, 1 cup castor sugar (sorry earthangel)250g almond meal, sliced mango and srawberries, plus mint to decorate. Grease 22cm round pan line with baking paper. Pat mango dry with absorbent paper. Blend in blender till smooth. Place egg yolks and sugar in small bowl beat till light and fluffy. Transfer to large bowl. Add mango puree and almond meal stir to combine. Place egg whites in small bowl beat with electric beater till soft peaks form. Add to egg yolk mix in 2 batches fold in gently. Pour mix into prepared pan. Cook in moderately slow oven 160oC for about 1 1/4hours or until firm to touch. Cover with foil if cake is over browning while cooking. Cake will still have a slight wobble when cooked. Remove from oven and cool in pan. To serve turn out onto serving plate and decorate with mango, strawberries and mint :)

cathnjim, Aug 6, 6:00am
Sounds awesome Herika If anybody would like to make packaged gf cake mixes, they seem to be on a par price wise with a Betty Crocker cake mix. I've made a couple of Basco mixes and the newer one (well to me) Free From mixes put out by Woolworths. They taste good and the whole family can eat it without feeling guilty.

shadow1, Aug 6, 11:20am
earthangel4, yes that is the book that has been my 'bible' for the past 12 months - whilst I have been getting to grips with gf living. Reading the preface - Nosh is about delicious, tasty and responsible eating and it surely is. I have mainly stuck to the meal ideas - so have not made many of the baking or others, however, just had a quick look and if sugar needed - looks like splenda, dried/fresh fruits, apple juice & as small amounts of sugar & fats a s poss. Heaps of veges & fruits used in all her recipes. I highly recommendfor tasty, healthy eating & tomorrow night I am making the yummy fish pie! !

herika, Aug 6, 6:29pm
Hi shadow, thats interesting you dont have much baking. When I was first having all my troubles and trying to sort out what I could and couldnt eat I stayed off all baking. Since then I have learnt some people have trouble with starches, such as some flours, potato, etc (even if the flours concerned are GF). I know refinement ruins a lot - for instance I read somewhere that the only healthy way to eat wheat would be to eat it in its natural form as a whole grain not after the outer layers of bran etc have been removed (most white bread uses the refined grain). I have found the GF diet basically to be eating more fresh and home made foods, which has the spin off of being much more healthy and better for me. :)

cathnjim, Aug 6, 7:06pm
Herika I have problems with carbohydrates/starches. Like you I avoided a lot of gf cakes and gf bread when I first went gf. When I started eating more of these gf version I would feel hungrier and eat more and the weight piled on. I felt awful as well, as if the wind had been knocked out of my sails. Oprah was saying a long time ago we should avoid white food, such as flour, sugar, potatoes and rice. Was she being racist? Lol. I can't seem to get away from spuds and rice, but I do monitor how much bread, cakes and crackers I eat. Also, being just over 50 I notice if I eat too many carbs, I get hot flushes if I avoid carbs, I don't get any. Just another reason to stay away from too much bread and sugar.

herika, Aug 7, 7:02am
Brown rice may help you I cook up some then keep it covered in the fridge. I have it for breakfast with fruit, almonds and Goat Milk and I dont get hungry until lunch time therefore bypassing the need for baking at morning tea. :)

cathnjim, Aug 7, 6:54pm
Herika Have you tried quinoa, it is as versatile as rice, I love it with peaches and yoghurt for breakfast, or you could use it like a taboulleh instead of using couscous. The secret is to rinse it thoroughly before cooking, or else it could be quite bitter.

herika, Aug 8, 6:43am
I thought about using it but was told contamination could be a problem. I find the brown rice really good thankgoodness, thanks for the suggestion anyway, I always appreciate learning anything new :)

spaniels, Aug 8, 7:27am
kathnjim I have just been researching "Quinoa". I work with 2 disabled people who need GF foods. Its great to see that you can eat it as a cereal. Have you made anything else with Quinoa? ?

herika, Aug 8, 7:17pm
You can have takeaway chips as long as they havent been dusted with a gluten containing flour before being frozen. I have a regular takeaways I go to because I tried their chips and didnt react badly in any way to them. Also some people may need the chips to be fried in oil, not fat. I read somewhere that McDonalds fries were GF but they do have traces of gluten (I checked out their website)so they are not gluten free :)

cathnjim, Aug 8, 11:03pm
As for quinoa Sorry I haven't any recipes. Maybe you could try googling. With takeaway chips you have to make sure that only chips are being cooked in the fryer and no battered fish etc as well. I usually buy Talley's frozen chips, which are usually just potato, sald and oil, and cook them up while the others will have their usual takeaways.

herika, Aug 9, 6:48am
Im the same as cathy I only buy Talleys frozen chips. Turkish takeaways are good too as long as you dont have any of the breads or tabouli :)

earthangel4, Aug 9, 7:40am
Herika Had your stir fry with brown rice for dinner tonight, it was yummy, didnt add any sauces incase of sugar but are going shopping tomorrow

herika, Dec 23, 9:00pm
"Even Coeliacs have to be very careful: 'A breadcrumb won't hurt someone with coeliac disease'... . MYTH.

Even very small amounts of gluten can be toxic to people with coeliac disease. Taking sensible steps to avoid cross contamination with gluten is therefore important.

Top tips include:
keep cooking utensils separate during food preparation and cooking, avoid frying food in the same oil that has previously been used to cook gluten containing foods, use a clean grill, separate toaster or toaster bags to make gluten-free toast, use separate breadboards and wash surfaces thoroughly".
All this information was taken from the NZ Coeliac Society website :)