Home growen potatoes

falconhell2002, Sep 22, 6:39am
We arelooking at planting the next lot of spuds.Previously we have just grown the common sort.This time I thought I might like to try some different sorts.What are your favorites!

lx4000, Sep 22, 6:44am
the red ones!mmMmm Desiree (sp)

holly-rocks, Sep 22, 6:44am
We always grow Jersey bennies as the are the best new potatoes and Agria as they make awesome jacket potatoes ( and mash / chips )Have you tried growing the Moari potatoes ( the purple ones )

sjordan, Sep 22, 6:45am
When is the right time to plant!

holly-rocks, Sep 22, 6:47am
I'm planting mine in the weekend ~ new potatoes for xmas dins

fisher, Sep 22, 7:02am
Mine are already showing theIR little green tops. AGRIA AND CHIPPEWA

shop-a-holic, Sep 22, 7:15am
My Jersey Bennes go in tomorrow!
Tip: If you have sprouting roots from both ends of your seed potato; cut them in half and plant!

falconhell2002, Sep 22, 8:38am
So Jersey bennies are the best to leave the skin on and cook!What about Chat, I have heard of these.What are they good for and are they any good!

Edit for spelling

falconhell2002, Sep 22, 8:39am
Lol and I still didnt get it right. Jersey Bennes

cookessentials, Sep 22, 10:06pm
Last year we did three types. We did Jersey Benne for Christmas as well as Swift and Rua. We had geat results from all three. Buy the seed potatoes from your local garden centre.they usually also have some info on each variety which will help you work out which is for you. Let them sprout well first. We put ours on a tray and cover with a sack until the sprouts are well formed.

falconhell2002, Sep 23, 12:55am
Thanks cooks off to town to pick up miss4 and go have a look and see what we like.Gosh its such a beautiful day today really got the spring clean bug happening!Want get lots of different things planted to, Lucky its my Saturday today and lets hope the weather lasts for a bit.

cookessentials, Sep 23, 1:11am
Yes, i hope so. Got to work tomorrow ( when it's supposed to be fine) and have Sunday off ( when it's supposed to be wet!) our potatoes will go in in the next week or so depending on how big their sprouts are.

vashti, Sep 23, 5:16am
I've just put in some Cliff Kidney, should I have planted Jersey Bennes to have ready for Christmas!

rainrain1, Sep 23, 5:43am
Heather potatoes are great

jillbo, Sep 23, 6:25am
I agree with you rainrain1, we grew Heather last year and have put some in this year also- love the flavour.

benthecat, Dec 27, 3:32am
anyone know where to get any Heather seed potatoes at the moment!I want to plant some more but can't find any!

cookessentials, Dec 27, 3:42am
Have you tried your local garden centre!

uli, Dec 27, 4:27am
What is "the common sort"!
And what "different sorts" would you like to try!

uli, Dec 27, 4:28am
They have been "discontinued" - like our good old concorde .

uli, Dec 27, 4:29am
So if you DO like any potatoes, tomatoes, garlic . etc - do keep some seeds .

uli, Dec 27, 11:21pm
Did you keep some benthecat!

There are lots of "new" tasteless varieties again this year - and a few old favourites have vanished.

So if you like your spuds keep some for seed for next year. And select them now before you dig them: the green plant must be good looking with no spotting, mottling or yellow leaves which could be viruses. Select small even tubers with no damage and keep them separate for your next planting.

Good luck!

samanya, Dec 28, 6:06am
Maris Anchor are my favourite main crop potatoes.

benthecat, Dec 28, 9:57pm
You're kidding me Uli!They are the only ones we like!I guess I'll have to save some from the rows I already have in, and store them to replant.Bugger, was hoping to get another few rows before winter comes, but I guess the new ones won't sprout fast enough to go back in the ground and be harvested before winter.Anyone tried this!

uli, Dec 29, 4:56am
Yes I have, but then I live in the winterless North .