The Un-Authentic Recipe Thread

Page 13 / 14
jcsolgier, Apr 7, 5:39am
Sidles into the thread and stands in corner with head down. As quietly as possible. *I don't make three cheese sauce for my lasagne. I beat sour cream and budget tasty together and spread it on top*.

buzzy110, Apr 7, 6:18am
I don't make cheese sauce the normal way either. I boil up a whole lot of cream then chuck in copious quantities of grated cheese and smoked paprika. Delish.

samanya, Apr 7, 6:24am
That's how I make it, too .but I add some garlic or even lemon juice (depending on what I'm making it to serve with).!

elliehen, Apr 7, 6:48am
Heads up!That is a seriously good idea :)

buzzy110, Apr 7, 9:38pm
Oooh. The lemon juice addition sound yum.

theanimal1, Apr 7, 10:45pm
I have over 11,000 recipes and use about 200 of these and actually go by the recipe lol otherwise it is 'open cupboards, fridge and go . eeny meeny minee mo lmao and voila dinner is served lmao

mwood, Apr 7, 11:03pm
I put red food colouring in my Tomato Sauces *blushes*

jcsolgier, Apr 7, 11:19pm
Okay okay, after yours mwood I'm feeling brave again.

Instead of olive oil I use. canola.

indy95, Apr 8, 12:04am
Oh dear ! Just when it looked as though you would be able to come out of that corner too !

pgta, Apr 8, 6:47am
Don't think there is any wine in my packet mix risotto

zirconium, Apr 8, 7:32am
*zirc joins confession*
I don't EVER rub the butter into the flour for ANYTHING. I beat the just melted butter with the eggs if there are any, or grate the butter finely and just stir it into the flour if there are no eggs.

zirconium, Apr 8, 7:41am
Oh, i made chicken pies with cans of chop chop chicken.

zirconium, Apr 10, 9:05am
If you are still interested in sauces, i know pesto isn't a sauce, but Mr Zr has been using cashew nuts instead of pine nuts in pesto. MUCH cheaper!

jimmy2102, Apr 10, 9:15am
Walnuts are also yum, to make pesto

books4nz, Apr 11, 7:28am
Or macadamia's, or peanuts, whatever you feel like really!

elliehen, Apr 11, 7:30am
I use sunflower seeds in stuffed capsicums instead of pinenuts.not quite the same flavour, but the texture is great.

nunesy, Jun 9, 7:02am
Just discovered this thread - what a relief!Often come to Recipes for inspiration and/or help but sometimes as I'm cooking with my cheat-packet-mixes and my veges-not-grown-in-my-own-gree-
nhouse-built-by-my-own-self I have found myself thinking 'I could never tell the Recipe Thread people what I've just made' ! :-)Actually I go through purist seasons and 'oh-look-at-that-massively-
-cheap-packet-mix' seasons.Right, so enough chitchat, I'm off to chuck some Chicken Tonight together.(Trying to resist saying I've never up until now bought this stuff.Am hoping it isn't too lame.Only bought it cos it was nearly at useby date adn therefore hugely reduced in price. excuse, excuse, blah blah.) :-)

sossie1, Jun 9, 7:04am
welcome nunesy, we don't care how you cook your dinners in here.

nunesy, Jun 9, 11:14am
Thanks sossie, although my dinners of the future won't include Chicken Tonight - tried it tonight and edible, just, but definitely not worth buying again, sale price or not!

mousetrapp, Jun 9, 11:26am
Ok, thats taking it too far! lol I think Chop chop is blerk, plus you'd need about 10 cans for one pie - I cheat by using rotisserie chickenlol (oh yeah and thats with store bought pastry)

retired, Jun 9, 9:09pm
If it tastes good and you enjoy it then you got the recipe right.This is exactly howrecipes originate, trial and error.We won't talk of the errors!

nauru, Jun 10, 6:52am
I always add grated carrrot and finely chopped celery (my son hates celery) to my Spag Bol. sauce and cut half the mince and add brown lentils.Also do this when I make Sheperds/Cottage pie.Sometimes I add chopped spinach, pumpkin or Kumera to the mashed potato for a change too. I also add grated carrot, grated zucchini (when in season), onion, sage and soft breadcrumbs to my sausagemeat for sauseage rolls.
When my kids were small and going through "the I don't like veges stage", theynever knew that there were veges in the meat sauce or sauseage rolls. They now do the same with their littlies.

angel361, Jun 10, 6:57am
evorotoura
recipe for chocolate youghur cake please, thanks

winnie231, Jun 10, 7:03am
Chocolate Yoghurt Banana Cake
*An easy no fail recipe

2 cups sugar
200gms butter or margarine
3 cups self raising flour
2 eggs
2 tsp baking soda
1/2 cup cocoa
1/4 tsp salt
2 mashed bananas
1+ 1/2 tsp vanilla essence
1 cup plain yoghurt
1 cup boiling water *add last*

Place all ingredients into a large bowl, pouring the boiling water over the butter or margarine to melt it.
Mix all ingredients together to combine and that’s it!
Pour into a large spring form tin, roasting dish or into around 25 large muffin cups.
Bake as a large deep cake for around 1hr 10mins,(that is in a large deep spring form pan) at 180c or in muffin cases 10-12 minutes.
*makes a large cake (roasting dish size and quite deep, I made it in a rectangular tin, and another square tin from 1 mix. For a larger layered cake it also works well if you make a 1 and a half mix,)
*Cake freezes well*

Recipe originally courtesy of poster evorotorua.

bambi58, Jun 10, 8:17am
Heheheh- This is great! I've never been a really 'conventional' cook except for my ex who was an extremly boring meat & 2vegman. I've passed the genes on to my son as well, he never cooks or bakes from conventional recipes either.
Rebel cooks Unite!