Bolar Roast

tracey57, Sep 13, 3:17am
please, the best way to cook a bolar roast without a crockpot as i dropped my crockpot bowl, smash, so that's no longer an option and the roast is sitting on the bench Cheers.

lx4000, Sep 13, 3:25am
cook on the stove top in abig pot the same as the slow cooker:)

tracey57, Sep 13, 3:42am
Ok, thanks, found an old recipe. Have put it in the regular oven in an oven bag, seasoned and with mustard, set on 150. Will see how it goes.

supercook, Sep 13, 4:03am
Oven bag is easy and makes it less mess to clean up

lythande1, Sep 13, 8:16am
Cook it as you would with the crockpot but either in the oven in a casserole, slow and low temp - same thing you know.
Or pot roast in a dutch oven type on the element.
IN the oven is easier, you can turn it right down and leave it all day.
See - crockpots were made to imitate that type of thing.

fisher, Sep 13, 8:37am
"IN the oven is easier, you can turn it right down and leave it all day.
See - crockpots were made to imitate that type of thing."
No they weren't. They work on a completely different process.
An oven ROASTS using dry heat. a crockpot uses STEAM and heat to slow cook .

tracey57, Sep 14, 3:17am
please, the best way to cook a bolar roast without a crockpot as i dropped my crockpot bowl, smash, so that's no longer an option and the roast is sitting on the bench Cheers.

fisher, Sep 14, 8:37am
"IN the oven is easier, you can turn it right down and leave it all day.
See - crockpots were made to imitate that type of thing."
No they weren't. They work on a completely different process.
An oven ROASTS using dry heat. a crockpot uses STEAM and heat to slow cook .

bob18, Sep 16, 11:28pm
I cook in large pot on the stove -

Topside or Bolar Supreme!
2-3 lb Topside or Bolar
Brown 3 large onions in some oil
Add Meat and brown on all sides
Mix together 2 tbsp flour, 1 tsp Salt, 1/4 tsp Thyme, 1 tbsp Beef Stock Powder
Sprinkle over meat.
Mix 2 cups water, 2 tbsp Vinegar, 1 tbsp Worchestire Sauce
Add to meat and cook (Simmer) for 2-3 hours
Any leftover gravy can be added to a stew

jennyfenny1, Sep 16, 11:43pm
excuse my ignorance but what exactly is a bolar roast! in know its beef, but does the bolar part refer to a certain type of cut! i am pretty inexperianced with the ol' kiwi roast tradition!

elliehen, Sep 17, 12:25pm
The word intrigued me so I looked it up and found this:
"What's a bolar roast! It's a cut from the shoulder area (blade or forequarter) and is suitable for roasting or braising. An online meat company describes it as follows: 'The bolar blade comes from the shoulder and is the ideal cut for a beef pot roast. It has a lot of connective tissue that softens and becomes tender when simmered gently for a long period of time.'

(www.Meatdirect.co.nz) In other words it requires slow, moist cooking to be tender and moist. Chowhound.chow.com liken it to bottom sirloin or triangle tip (in the United States)."
http://gorgeouswithattitude.blogspot.com/2010/06/slow-cooked-bolar-roast.html

rainrain1, Sep 17, 8:50pm
It's just a common old piece of what we call stuffed steak.Carefully cut a pocket in one side, stuff with filling of your choice and roast.Take care not to overcook or it will dry out

fisher, Sep 17, 11:53pm
I just roll mine oiled, in a peppercorn/herb mix and roast at 220 for 20 or so mins and then turn down to slow roast.for another 30 mins and turn oven off and leave it in there in residual heat. rest on bench.
nice pinky (no blood) roast beef.

speedy_11, Sep 18, 12:22am
I roast mine slowly (150 deg) wrapped in tinfoil after stuffing with whole garlic cloves, divine!